Old Granny Smith, Green Apple Ale | Old Market Pub And Brewery

Old Market Pub And Brewery
Oregon, United States
drinkbeerhere.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by RedDiamond on 04-30-2004

2.4

Reviews by darrmitchell:

2.98/5  rDev +24.2%

The bartender offered me a taste, but I have had good experiences with their other beers, so I opted to jump in a get a pint. It was served in a standard pint glass & the beer is a chill hazed dark gold with an off-white head.

It had an aroma of apples and grains. Almost cider like in the nose.

Taste of apples and more apples. The taste is not tart like a granny smith but more like a Macintosh or maybe even bruised apples. This one is kind of hard to put a finger on. If I were blindfolded, I would think this was a hard cider instead of a beer.

The mouth is crisp, but for me drinkability is not great. It is unique and I'm glad I had it, but this would be a once a fall type beer to have at the bonfire. Bottom line, is I should have just went with the sample.

2.52/5  rDev +5%

Old Granny Smith is a light golden ale brewed with the juice of granny smith apples, a bold but challenging concept with an obvious potential for conflicted taste results. It’s tempting to think of this fruited brew as some sort of ale-cider hybrid, but the bright sparkle and dry fruitiness of a cider are clearly absent by design.

Old Granny begins with minimal carbonation and a shy head that leaves infrequent lace. The color is of light clover honey while the aroma gestures towards something dry and tart woven to a whiff of yeast.

But this conceptual anomaly is difficult to warm to. Thin-bodied and sour at first, Old Granny quickly elicits a corrupting invitation to acetaldehydes before tilting to a welcome champagne-like crispness. However, with its taste languishing at the peculiar junction of tart bitterness and fruit pectins, I can’t say that anything worthwhile is achieved in this stylistic crossbreed.

Old Granny Smith, Green Apple Ale from Old Market Pub And Brewery