My Turn Series: Pilo

From:
Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Wisconsin, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
My Turn Series: PiloMy Turn Series: Pilo
Notes:
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 38

This beer turned out exactly how I wanted it. It has the flavors and mouthfeel that I was aiming for. Thanks to Luther, our head brewer for helping tweak the recipe and to Russ Klisch for making it possible.

CHEERS!

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a teku.

A: Pours a cloudy, bright gold with a thin, white head that dissipates quickly. Looks just okay.

S: Smells like a pilsner: grassy, wet hay, yeasty, low amount of noble hops, and a touch of alcohol.

T: Taste is like a pilsner as well. Starts off a bit biscuity with some moderate hopping and bitterness....grainy and grassy. Ends with a decent amount of alcohol and bitterness.

M: This is where most of these imperial pilsners mess it up...and this one is no different. Gone is the light, crisp mouthfeel that regular pilsners have. This is thick, viscous, and not crisp or light in any sense of the imagination. Alcohol is well hidden, though, so kudos.

O: Overall, this is just okay. This isn't my favorite style at all, so I can't really judge it too harshly. The smell and taste is good, but the look and mouthfeel leave a lot to be desired.

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Smells good, looks great, tastes good, body is ok. Lacks a certain zest or quality of refreshment that I associate with a great pilsner. Carbonation did seem to be just a touch on the light side which could account for it. Finish is ok. Good enough beer.

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden with a lasting white head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is grassy, slightly nutty. A robust pils.

The taste is of grassy hops with a strong, sweet, slightly nutty, malt presence. Some alcohol shows.

It has a thick body that is somewhat syrupy. A few more bubbles wouldn't be a bad thing, in my opinion.

It has the aroma of a true pilsener. The problem might be one of imperializing the style. As with other examples I've had, it just becomes a sticky brew rather than a refreshing one. Still, it is what they were going for, I suppose. Overall, enjoyable for one.

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Fresh bottle, bought as a single @ $2.99.
I'm not sure how I feel about My Turn switching over to 4-packs from bombers. I'll happily drop $10.99 on a 4-pack of a delicious IIPA, but I'm less likely to do it for an Imperial Pils that I've never tried. That being said, there are a few shops who will probably always have single bottles available.

Appearance: Great color, dark straw golden, great clarity. Looks like a nice Pils... but with no head. A bit of foam bubbles up but quickly dissipates. They use the head as a selling point in their description of the beer, and describe the lacing as picturesque. Only problem is, my glass of this beer has no head and no lacing. A bit disappointing, especially for a summertime beer.

Smell: Like walking through the Miller Brewery on a tour. Tons of pale malt, Sterling hops, and lager yeast. I would say that this beer has an explosive grain aroma.

Taste: My mouth is confused. I can taste the extra ingredients, so there is no mistaking this for an Imperial Pils. Nothing delicate here- it feels like every layer hits you over the head. First, the malt, very very bready, then the hops, a little bit spicy, very Germanic, and then everything is washed away by alcohol heat. Not nearly as balanced as some of the better Imperil Lagers I've had (Fathom & Humulus come to mind- both are masterpieces of restraint necessary for this style).

Mouthfeel: More presence than a Pilsner, which I would expect, but also leaves twice as much yeast on the tongue. And that alcohol.

Overall: Chad's barleywine was solid, John's Dark Lager w/Cherries was nice (especially @ $4.99 for a bomber) and Johnson was a delicious fresh IIPA- It felt like Lakefront was just starting to hit their stride with the My Turn series. Well, they couldn't make it four straight. Pilo is a mess of malt, yeast, and alcohol- I don't say this often, but this is a beer worth passing up. Maybe take a free taster if you see it on tap. Although it might be worth buying a pint to smell it. Just don't take a sip.

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

a strange imperial pilsener. its loaded with lavender or jasmine floral aroma, coming from seemingly nowhere, its extremely aromatic and almost perfume-like in its impression. no additives in here that im aware of, so maybe high fermentation temperatures pulled these esters out of the yeast? i just dont know where else that flowery thing could come from. i dont dislike it, but it seems odd for the style. the beer is really sweet too, so much residual sugar on this its hard to drink more than one glass of, which i guess is common in this big pils style now, but its a contradiction to me, and unpleasant. also a lot of body on it for a summer release, hard to drink much of it. the alcohol is well hidden though, and the bubbles keep it moving. when i think of pilsener, i think refreshment, and this one doesnt take me there. it is however quite unique, and an interesting example of the style if indeed those floral essences were intentional.

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a huge, dense, white head with great persistence. Grainy hop aroma. Clear, golden color. Starts with a bright, grainy hop bitterness - medium high. Smooth biscuity malt pops through. Lingering bitterness is grainy and defines the finish.

This is surprisingly nice. Not overly bitter, good malt, and a nice hoppy graininess. I'd drink this again. Another solid entry from the My Turn Series.

My Turn Series: Pilo from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 83 out of 100 with 38 ratings