KLB Raspberry Wheat Beer

From:
Amsterdam Brewing Company

Ontario, Canada
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
KLB Raspberry Wheat BeerKLB Raspberry Wheat Beer
Notes: The perfect balance of German Perle hops, wheat malt, and raspberry infusion gives KLB Raspberry Wheat its signature aroma and unforgettable flavour. Light amber in colour with a frothy white head, this smooth, full-bodied beer is distinguishable by a fresh raspberry bouquet that's slightly tart to the taste and sure to please on any occasion.

Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 88 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Mel_Lee from Canada

4.33/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a crisp, easy drinking wheat beer with a fruity raspberry taste to it. A nice cottage beer to have on those hot summer days. Very smooth and refreshing. Typical opaqueness of any wheat beer, with a 1cm white head that dissipates.

Jun 11, 2016
DaveBar from Canada

4.03/5  rDev +21%

Purchased at the LCBO for just around that $2.50 mark for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a tiny head that is gone in seconds. Rather Dark gold. Almost has a redness to it. Filtered clear

S- Oodles of raspberry. This thing just oozes raspberries.

T- Raspberries but in a controlled way. Yes it overpowers the beer but that is what they designed in the taste. Very refreshing

M- Crisp and tart. Nice and dry. No sliminess at all like other raspberry beer's I've had.

O- Rather refreshing raspberry beer. Very interesting and has a lot of pop. Will buy again

Food Pairing

This pretty good little beer went well with...... Lamb burgers. Nice little bit of cranberry sauce to get that sourness going then some lettuce, pickle and onion.

Enjoy

Mar 03, 2015
Cylinsier from Pennsylvania

2.78/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

tap at the brewery

Pours a clear gold with a white lacing.

Aroma is of medicinal raspberry and strawberry.

Flavor is of bitter medicinal mixed berries and some light wheat malt.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A somewhat offputting fruit beer. The berries approach cough syrup flavors. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't choose to have it again.

Jan 16, 2015
Pmicdee from Canada

3.56/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours gold in colour with just a touch of redness The tartness of the raspberry comes through immediately. This is a great summer beer. I will remember that in a couple of months.
March 8 2020

Jan 29, 2014
taxandbeerguy from Canada

3.11/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

473 ml can poured into a pint glass from LCBO for $2.80 CDN. From notes about a month ago.

Appearance - Clear Golden Color with significant reddish pinkish hues. 1 finger of head, receding quickly. Some lacing.

Smell - Sweet aromatic raspberries complete dominate. Trying to find anything else, but its not there. Just raspberries.

Taste - Some raspberries some bitterness, maybe even a few hops thrown in. Tastes nothing remotely similar to the nose.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, lower carbonation, slightly bitter and sour aftertaste from the raspberries.

O- Definitely a raspberry beer, but because of the the focus on raspberry, the beer part is left in the dust. Still a decent brew, but unlikely to be repeated again by me.

Nov 01, 2013
Kremlock from Canada

3.41/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Orange/light copper colour. Pours a nice white head that drops to a thin layer and than laces the glace a bit.

S: This is all raspberry flavour. Smells a bit like raspberry medication

T: Raspberries up front with hints of caramel malts. The wheat then comes in to clean up the taste along with the carbonation.

M: has a light feel, well carbonated to clean things up with a nice dry finish.

O: Good beer for what it is. Personally I'm not into putting fruits into the beer but this is good. They say it's a raspberry infusion...whatever that means. So for something that is all year and not seasonal (fresh berries!?!?) I give it a thumbs up.

Oct 25, 2012
hopsolutely from Canada

3.32/5  rDev -0.3%

A simple beer that I would happily serve on any summer day to any non-hophead. Light and refreshing, may well be a good introductory beer for anyone just starting into the world of flavour.

Can pours like a golden, clear lager with a blush of pinky purple. The white head dissipates quickly. Aroma is raspberry-forward with a background of bready malts. Flavour likewise is very raspberry-focused, but not as overwhelmingly sweet as I'd feared. The wheat is well hidden, but golden malted barley is definitely present.

Not my own personal beverage choice, but miles ahead of any BudLL or CoorsLIT...

Aug 12, 2012
TheSevenDuffs from Canada

2.7/5  rDev -18.9%

Can to pint glass.

A - Pale straw yellow with a small amount of bubbly white head that immediately disappeared.

S - Syrupy raspberry aroma up front with a mild of bready malt aroma in the background.

T - A huge artificial raspberry flavour up front that is very sweet and syrupy dominates and almost completely overpowers a very mild bready malt presence.

M - Light body; light to moderate carbonation.

O - One dimensional, which wouldn't have been quite so bad if the raspberry flavour was so syrupy and artificial.

Mar 07, 2012
ChrisCage from Canada

3.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to drewsy for the trade!

A- Pours a very clear coppery color, with a tinge of sunrise orange, and there appears to be plenty of carbonation rising to the top rather quickly. The head isn't very impressive however upon pouring, as it is only a whiff of thin foam covering the liquid. Lacing is alright, as thin clumps of bubbly goodness clings to the side of the glass. Overall I'd put this slightly above average appearance wise.

S- This has a general dryness about it, and I don't mind it in this case! There is a fresh raspberry fruitiness that smells about right as far as how powerful it is, some grainy wheat berries and perhaps a slight bitterness right at the end. Mild overall, but nice...

T- I quite like this! The flavors follow the aroma closely; everything is mild but balanced well between sweet and tart. The beginning contains the tart berry fruit, while the middle softens to the dry wheat malt and the finish doesn't have any real bitterness, but rather a yeasty quality that reminds me of fresh white bread.

M- Thin bodied and plenty of palate scrubbing carbonation! I get a good sense of the summer in this beer...it is very refreshing, crisp and clean tasting.

O- I think this is a very drinkable beer that would be perfectly suited for sitting on the patio during hot weather and passing the afternoon away. Foodwise, this would pair very well with a freshly prepared spinach salad, and is balanced well enough to hang with a fruit bowl for dessert. I recommend this beer and would love to see it in my neck of the woods!

Jan 11, 2012
thehyperduck from Canada

2.97/5  rDev -10.8%

[Updated July 13 2013]

Tallboy can picked up at the LCBO, one of four beers in their Entertainer sampler pack. I tried this once a few years ago, and was left feeling a little underwhelmed, so we'll see if my opinions have changed.

Pours a lovely amber-orange colour, with a bright, clear complexion. It manages to generate about one finger's worth of smooth, creamy, off-white head that dissipates over the next few minutes, leaving behind a thin cap and some modest lacing. A great improvement over the last time I tried this, when it looked absolutely flat and tepid. Mild, enjoyable aroma, with tart raspberry notes in the forefront, and subtle wheat malt sweetness underneath. Straightforward, but easy to like.

The taste is very similar in its simplicity - bready wheat malts, maybe a touch of honey at the start of the sip, which leads into some slightly sour raspberry flavor. Not much else to say - bready malts and raspberries, with a slight syrupy/medicinal feel to the latter. It does manage to finish somewhat dry, with some weakly lingering raspberry tartness. Light-bodied, and kind of watery. This one could stand to be a bit more heavily carbonated, but I suppose it's still crisp enough to help cut through the syrupy slickness (to a certain extent, anyway).

Final Grade: 2.97, a forgettable C grade. Amsterdam's KLB Raspberry Wheat is pretty mediocre, both as a fruit beer and a pale wheat ale - I felt that way the first time I tried it, and I'm now convinced that it's an accurate assessment. It blends some characteristics of each style, but the end result is a bland and mostly unsatisfying brew that isn't sure what it should be. Sorry, but the syrupy mouthfeel basically ruins what would otherwise be a serviceable fruit beer. The only thing this fruit beer really has going for it is its wide distribution - there are plenty of other raspberry-flavoured ales I'd recommend well before this.

Nov 06, 2011
Antikythera from New York

Appearance: golden-amber with a bit of red. Really pretty. Fine creamy head that never quite goes away.

Smell: wheaty with a faint bit of raspberry.

Taste: ... same. Wheat and yeast, a bit of a sour note that is not at all unpleasant. The raspberry is so faint that it's easier to smell than taste.

Mouthfeel: a little fizzy on the tongue, a lingering sour slippery feeling. Sounds awful but I can't figure out another way to describe that. It's just really nice.

Overall: familiarity results in taking things for granted. Why haven't I reviewed this yet? It's my go-to summer beer. The first time I tried it I was disappointed, because I had been drinking lambics previously and wasn't impressed with the North American style of fruit beer (basically a wheat beer that may or may not have had a Strawberry Shortcake doll bathing in it for about thirty seconds). But I got to know it and I like the style for itself (rather than comparing it to lambics), and this is the best representative.

Aug 04, 2011
spinrsx from Canada

2.56/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

473ml Can

Appearance – Clear amber colour with an very small size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is no lacing. The head lasted for around 1 minute before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, bread, malts, raspberries

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains mixed with malts and of course raspberries. There is also a little bit of a caramel flavour going on. It finishes with a malty raspberry aftertaste.

Overall – I'm really not a huge fan of fruit beers, so there wasn't much chance that was going to enjoy this. I will say that the taste did grow on me as progressed through the beer. I'll also add that the beer had one of the worst appearances I've ever seen.. there was basically no head or lacing.

Jul 21, 2011
Roke87 from Canada

3.39/5  rDev +1.8%

473 mL can, chilled and poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pours a clear pale amber colour with a massive three fingers of soapy white head that very quickly dissipates to a little bubbly top with a very thin ring that leaves very minimal to almost no head throughout the glass till finish.

Smell- Really nice raspberry smells coming from this one, I didn’t get a whole lot of the raspberry while I was pouring it but once you put your nose up to the glass it is definitely there; some very mild wheat aromas coming through as well although the raspberry is very dominant.

Taste- Pretty much just like the aromas, well in a way. I am getting a weird taste right off the bat that I really can’t put my finger on, then the raspberry taste really comes through a dominates finishing with a sweet raspberry taste as well. I do get a mild hint of wheat but other than the raspberries there is not too much else going on in this one.

Mouthfeel- Very light bodied with below average carbonation, actually it is almost none existent as the beer warms up a bit, kind of saddening really.

Overall- Hey, if fruity beers are your thing, and you’re in the mood for a raspberry tasting beer this one is pretty much exactly what it says it is, a raspberry beer! I rather liked the raspberry taste from this one, it tasted like real fruit and not some engineered candy taste like other fruit beers can have. Would be a good summer sipper if cold as ice on a hot summer day, which is why I even bought a fruit beer in the first place. Not sure if I would come back to this one again but it wasn’t a fail that’s for sure, depends what fruit I feel like I want to drink if I ever want to drink one again.

Jun 19, 2011
bryehn from Canada

3.48/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a rusty toasted amber colour with a small, fleeting head that hangs around as a thin collar. Lots of visible fine carbonation.

Smells of raspberry flavour, roasted malt and honey. Always smells mild, but fresh.

Tastes of toasted wheat, raspberry flavour that doesn't taste too unnatural and has an earthiness about it. Also has a brewed tea tone in the finish.

Light-bodied with a medium carbonation, gives a sort of creamy feel. Very dry and tart aftertaste.

An easy-drinking beer with a decent raspberry flavour that I always seem to enjoy.

Mar 30, 2011
JohnnyBarman from Canada

3.02/5  rDev -9.3%

I used to drink this beer a long time ago when it was brewed by KLB, and enjoyed it a great deal - it tastes a lot different to me now, but I think it more has to do with my changing tastes than anything.

Poured into a nonic. A pale, pale amber brew, clear, and with an inch of head that beats a hasty retreat. No head, no lacing...nothin'. Looks more like a cider, or a rose wine than a beer.

Nose is raspberry jam, lemon, mild maltage.

Tart, with a mild malty-lemon flavor, and then the raspberry kicks in, which isn't bad, but certainly lacks the fine character of fresh raspberries that you can find in other variations of this sort of brew. A touch of mild caramel and wheat as well, but only faint. Finishes dry and with a sharp, unpleasant metallic tang. Drinkable, but not nearly as fun as I remember it.

Watery, carbonation is abrasive. Leaves a dry feeling on the tongue.

I'll still drink this, but I won't seek it out the way I used to. Still, on a hot summers day, this would go great right out of the can (last summer, it certainly did), so I'll probably save my next one till then.

Feb 08, 2011
Mit from Canada

3.51/5  rDev +5.4%

One of the longstanding fruit beers in Ontario. This and MacAuslans are reliable fall backs when I can't think of things I want to buy.

a-nice clear deep golden colour with a short lived head.

s- slight rasberry notes with some slight maltiness.

t-fermented rasberry with that slight maltiness again rounded out by a very slight bitterness.

m-light in keeping with a 4.5 alc beer.

d-very drinkable...I could drink these all day while working outside.

Mar 01, 2010
TheHammer from Canada

3.17/5  rDev -4.8%

The fact this beer seems to have once been brewed by a different company, threw me off a bit for this review.

Appearance: Porued with a finger of head that sadly did not lace or sustain. The body is a clear bronze with red highlight, that has some solid carbonation.

Smell: Unsurprising fermented raspberry smell that is decently strong all to a slight malt background. Good but not very complex and could be a bit stronger.

Taste: Very simple, starts with a mild malt with a hint of raspberry that builds and then intertwines with well balanced fruity and floral hops. A slight metallic tinge and the end, and the raspberry flavor seems a bit off as well.

Mouthfeel: Leaves the mouth surprisingly dry, but it does transition well. The carbonation isn't bad but doesn't really seem to help out the beer too much. The metallic and plastic aftertaste has to go, as it overpowers a slight raspberry and wheat undertone.

Drinkability: Well it went down quick enough, as it is refreshing, light and easy to get down. No stomach or gas issues, but the aftertaste and cloying sweetness would stop me from going to town on it.

Final Thoughts: A bit better then average I suppose, but I highly suspect artificial flavoring instead of real raspberries. It is alright I suppose, but I wouldn't buy a six of it. Maybe I'd buy another can of it in the summer.

Nov 26, 2009
Carlton1964 from New York

3.91/5  rDev +17.4%

Pleasantly surprised by the great taste. Not a fan of fruity beer but this was done right. The raspberry is not overwhelming . Color is very nice and there is no aftertaste. This is a beer worth serious consideration. Lacks body but the aroma and taste make up for the lack of body. I'll bee looking for more of this next trip to Canada.

Nov 22, 2009
mintjellie from Canada

2.38/5  rDev -28.5%

I would have expected this to be much paler in colour than the copper-orange I see before. The fingers worth of off-white head beats a hasty retreat, and leaves no lace behind. It's like it was never there to begin with. The aroma is mostly of raspberry. Somehow, the raspberry scent manages to be faint while also having a syrupy, concentrated character at the same time. It tastes of raspberry, and a little bit buttery. The raspberry flavour leaves a medicinal aftertaste in my mouth, though not quite as bad as the ST Raspberry Wheat. There's a hint of cheap caramel as well. Light-bodied with medium-low carbonation. I think a little more spritz would lift this one up a bit. Light as it may be, it's actually a bit of chore.

Oct 10, 2009
Stonepot from Canada

3.9/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought this was great. Strong smell and taste of raspberries, with a creamy head and a nice long fruity finish. I got a bit tired of it towards the end, and would not have two on the bounce, but one was a great way to start an afternoon drinking session.

Sep 26, 2009
Seanstoppable from Canada

2.6/5  rDev -21.9%

I am a big fan of wheat beers. I also have access to two good raspberry wheat beers locally. So, when I saw this at the NSLC I had to check it out, to see how it stacked up.

Poured into a pint glass a copper color, with just a thin film of head.

Scent is simply, offering hints of tart raspberry.

Taste is very simple and disappointing. It is like drinking soda water with a twist of raspberry, or a Bud Light with some tart raspberry infusion.

Mouthfeel is ok. Mild carbonation, slightly dry finish, and little to no aftertaste.

Very light and goes down smooth, but there is very little flavor here. I would recommend passing on this.

Jul 29, 2009
nighthawk from Canada

3.02/5  rDev -9.3%

500mL bottle with no freshness date poured into pint glass.

Pours a clear orange with some ruby tones. Head is small, white and fizzy, and disappears rapidly.

Lots of tart raspberry on the nose, some mild floral hops, and a bit of lightly roasted wheat.

Taste is sweet and tart raspberry, mild honey and toasted bread, with a bare floral hop finish.

Mouthfeel is light and a bit watery feeling, with a bit of a bite from the carbonation. Starts sweet and ends fairly dry.

It's a pretty drinkable beer, but a bit too thin and bland to really enjoy. Another decent summer quaffer.

Jul 17, 2009
Viggo from Canada

2.53/5  rDev -24%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500 ml can from the LCBO.

Pours a crystal clear orange/amber, big fizzy slightly off white head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring around the glass, no real lacing sticks, looks alright. Smell is interesting, some raspberry although syrupy and fake, light toast, fruity sweetness, almost a wet dog aroma, corn syrup and some honey, lightly floral, okay. Taste is not good, very dry, some wheat, yeasty, fake raspberry, metallic, bready, light fruitiness in the finish, but astringent. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low to medium carbonation, not very drinkable. Nothing is really right with this one.

Jul 16, 2009
biegaman from Canada

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

The surprise of having my raspberry wheat pour a sizzling caramel colour has left my brow somewhat furrowed. It's a lovely toasty tone and is complimented by a gentle haze, but it's not what I was expecting. I would be regarding it with favor if it weren't so tabular; even a thin lining of rosy-pink head would be acceptable but it's depressed without even a single strand or moderately inflated bubble to enliven it.

Ya, the beer smells a little like raspberries but so what? Anything can smell like anything with the use of artificial flavouring. If you're a brewer and you decide you're not going to make the beer smell deliciously sweet and over-the-top fruity (as you'd find in a cooler, for instance) then at least make sure you add something else to the aroma, something that maybe smells like, oh I don't know... beer!?

All I smell and all I taste beyond the raspberry extract is cheap caramel; it's a painfully simple and amateur-quality beer that underlines the fruit. It offers bland and unconvincing notes of buttery butterscotch. I get no hop flavour. As for the wheat, I can't detect any of that either. There's nothing remotely crisp, grainy, estery or effervescent about this - in other words, nothing to distinguish it as a wheat beer.

If I had to of guessed, I would have likely said the attempt here was to brew an English Bitter. It is a light (medium-light, at best) body with pitifully low carbonation. The maltiness is low with a very dry, sort of cardboard texture. It offers only the taste of cheap caramel and as for the raspberry extract, the artificial fruitiness is really no more pronounced than the subtle naturally occurring one that most ale yeasts will produce.

Regardless of how much you like raspberries, if you're not the type who drinks bland, painfully average beers then chances are you'll struggle to find anything worthwhile about this offering. For many this could serve as passable patio beer, it may be quenching for a dry palate on a hot, summer day. But even in that circumstance it'd be likely that the name turned out more refreshing to hear than the beer actually was to drink.

Jun 21, 2009
GodOfBeer from Canada

3.68/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a nice amber with a reddish tinge to it. Lots of carbonation, thin white head, leaves a bit of lacing.

Smells of raspberries, some grain and hoppy grassiness.

Tastes of raspberries, apples, some grassy hops, pretty sweet but not bad. I like raspberries, so I don't mind this beer.

Thin mouthfeel, very refreshing drinkable beer on a hot day!

Apr 05, 2009