Dark Horizon 3rd Edition | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.

Added by TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010

3.86/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured 2016/12/08
Pours dark black with a few tan bubbles, no head, no lacing. The nose is deep and complex. It features roasted malt, molasses, treacle, peat, smoke, coffee. It is long, deep and inviting. The taste also has a lot going on, but it is overpowered by an intense, syrupy sweet roasted malt profile, cloying and heavy. Notes of prunes, figs, coffee, milk chocolate are there but greatly overpowered by excessive sweetness. The mouthfeel suffers greatly from the zero carbonation and the cloying nature of the sweetness. Tasty but all downhill after the nose.

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On the "1001" and a lot of people seem to think it doesn't deserve to be there. I thought it interesting when I drank it, but clearly too strong.

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

4.79/5  rDev +37.2%

I felt obligated to write a review myself after reading such piss-poor reviews of the beer.

I am under the impression that the quote from the can which reads "...we cannot tell you what it tastes like. You are the boss of your own senses!" rings very true for this beer.

Intoxicating aroma of dark fruit, chocolate, and coffee. All the commonplace stout aromas, however, much more prevalent is brown sugar and molasses with a touch of tobacco. Almost no carbonation, both in appearance and taste.

Taste is like subdued maple syrup, but in a good way. Sticky, with a thin mouthfeel, not chewy. Reminds me of Founders CBS because having both make you not want to finish the beer just for the sake of continually smelling the glass.

Personally I'm a huge fan of ports and meads, and this is very reminiscent of those beverages, so to me this beer was delicious. If you don't have a sweet tooth, you may not want to shell out for this. I got mine for $25 so not cheap for a single 8.5 oz bottle.

Easily placing this In my top 10 of imperial stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

1.35/5  rDev -61.3%

1.83/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Looked good. No trace of carbonation. Post fermented wort has more carbonation than this. The smell had a little coffee and chocolate. Everything else about this beer is boozy, cloyingly sweet, and syrupy. Very limited review, because after one sip I had to pour it down the drain. Is this brewery that inconsistent with its' product or did they just turn a blind eye to a bad batch? They need to have a warning on the label, "1 in 5 bottles are horrible, hope you choose wisely."

3.99/5  rDev +14.3%

3.29/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

1.64/5  rDev -53%

Appearance: pours a nice black color with a beige head. Sadly that is where the pleasant feelings end.

Smell: smells like smoke and diabetes. Tragically sweet aroma. I actually want to throw up a little bit just by smelling this beer. There are some good components going on - I get hints of coffee and chocolate along with the smoke - it's just too difficult to actually enjoy them behind the sickly sweet aroma.

Taste: my god this is actually the sweetest anything I've ever consumed. I thought southern tier creme brûlée was sweet, then I drank this. I hate it. I can't drink it. Why did I pay this much money for this?

Mouthfeel: sweet. Very thick. Kind of like drinking Aunt Jemima syrup.

Overall: literally the most disappointed I've ever been in a beer and the most horrifically sweet beverage I've ever tasted. I should also say that I'm usually not too thrown off by very sweet beers. Overall, I enjoyed Southern Tier Creme Brulee (and actually thought the sweetness was more restrained than I anticipated given what I had heard prior). I loved Founders Big Lushious. I like Dark Lord. But this? This is just so far beyond palatable that I can't comprehend how anyone would enjoy it. Given that it is aged almost 5 years at this point, maybe it got sweeter over time? (although logic tells me that the sweetness should have actually mellowed)...

4.28/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.09/5  rDev -11.5%

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

Was very pleasantly surprised after having read so many negative reviews.
Had held in cellar for 4 years, and thought time to find out for myself.
Beer poured a deep dark black with slight deep dark brown accents to light. No head what so ever.
Nose was rich candy with sweet dark fruit. Currants, figs and dates. Slight bitter probably coffee influence as much as hops but mostly concentrated malts.Very complex nose, noticeable but very subdued booze.
Rich malty character that has aged into a base of dried sugar fruits with some molasses and tamarind like bitterness. Coffee seemed lost in mix, but clearly added to complexity and depth beyond the sweetness. Very pleasant sipper.
Syrupy smooth mouth feel. Cloying with very little alcohol noticed, and definitely no burn.
Overall struck me as a dark highly concentrated English barley wine. Seemed almost a Eisbock like reduction though flavor more BW.
Certainly not consistent with other's opinions, but my bottle was great...I found this a very enjoyable evening sipper, and worked very well with other flavors...plate of pecans, Maytag blue and a big H.Upmann

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%