Roggenbier | South Shore Brewery

South Shore Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
southshorebrewery.com

Style: Roggenbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Strix on 08-14-2011

Liked:
3.24/5
Alströms:

3.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Looks exactly like swamp water. No head, no lacing, a murky brown. Plus for being unfiltered, minus for no head whatsoever.

Smell has hefeweizen qualities, wheat and banana. Not really picking up any rye.

Main flavor is a wheaty note. Very slight bready flavor, but not really getting any rye that I can pick out. Flavors are pleasant enough, but somewhat muddled, nothing in particular comes through.

Mouthfeel somewhat thin, my same complaint with Bavarian Wheat.

I've never had a Roggenbier before, so I hesitate to proclaim this was off-target, but I really did not pick up a lot of rye in this, it really came off more like a bland dunkelweizen. It was drinkable, and I want to encourage experimentation by SS, but I didn't feel like this one really delivered. It felt one-dimensional and muddled.

Roggenbier from South Shore Brewery