Belgian Saison | Paddock Wood Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Paddock Wood Brewing Co.
Saskatchewan, Canada
paddockwood.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Noxious26 on 06-28-2006

4.3/5  rDev 0%

rare bottle of Paddock Wood's saison sent to me by demcorhip. Thanks so much Gavin for parting with this one! 341ml bottle, poured into a Stella glass.

Pours with a 1/2 inch head that leaves a little bit of lace. Mild carbonation, hazey and unfiltered. The colour is a light copper with some orange and red highlights. Very pretty to look at. Aroma is light and subtle, definitely some Belgian candy sugar and a very slight bit of the farmyard funk that we associate with Saisons. Orange zest, caramel, apple juice, and mandarin orange, not particularly spicy, but there is some vanilla notes in the back as well.

Taste is really really nice. Subtle, like the nose, but more straightforward off the top. The vanilla notes are present, along with a nice woody note. Caramel is there, as is a bit of lactic sourness. Citric acidity, some malty breadiness, and an apple sweetness. All these notes, like I said, are very subtle, but there, and it makes it very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with light carbonation, wet in the mouth, drying in the finish. This is an extremely enjoyable Saison, and very drinkable, the extra booze is hardly noticeable. I'm feeling pretty lucky to have this beer in my hand right now, maybe someday I can have another. Cheers!

4.18/5  rDev 0%

341ml bottle poured in a tulip glass.

Hazy, red-amber-copper colour. Beige head is 1/8 on the pour, but quickly disappears leaving no head at all.

Faint aroma is slightly malty, slightly fruity, slightly sweet and slightly musty.

Rich malty flavour up front with hints of sweetness in the background. Subtle malt bitterness appears in the middle along with an earthy/musty accent. Smooths out to a well balanced finish that blends all the previous qualities in a most delicious fashion. Light malt aftertaste is long and lingering.

Light bodied but full of flavour. Very light carbonation. Fairly smooth, but with just a touch of alcohol bite.

This is the first Saison that I've ever had. In fact, it's the only Saison that I've ever seen available anywhere, so it's a rare treat for me. I don't know how well this fits in the Saison profile, but I really enjoyed it. Mostly malty with some fruitiness and quite smooth. You get a bit of the bite from the alcohol, but since the ABV is relatively low, the bite is restrained. I wish I had more of these to cellar and/or let my friends sample.

Belgian Saison from Paddock Wood Brewing Co.