Moh Gwai | Brewerkz - Riverside Point

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by basica on 08-03-2007

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Creamy white head on golden amber brew. Some retention, fairly thick lacing. A bit hazy and quite active.

Strong Belgo yeast, mild fruity/grassy hops (but ample for a triple), with some well balanced malty sweetness.

Light hop bitterness and flavor, rich malty sweetness, and some modest drying on the back end. Belgian yeast character defines it.

Well carbonated, medium full body, some dryness and bitterness in the finish.

BA calls Belgian Dark (it is not dark), and the brewer calls it an Olde Ale. But it's a Belgian Tripel, and a pretty good one, if you ask me. In the context of it's location, SE Asia, it is stunningly delicious.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

"Moh Gwai" is cantonese for Ghost or Monster; on the bottle the chinese words for
that is also written. Away from that note, the Moh Gwai ale is nothing short of a great
tasting Ale. Probably my favourite (if not one of my favourite) Brewerkz brew. It has
a light typical Belgian ale smell and when I tasted the it that smell was fully
pronounced and was pleasantly strong. The Moh Gwai is creamy, tasty with fruity touches
and the lingering after taste, evident of a strong malt character, makes it a top ale.
On the menu, this beer is said to be brewed with special Belgian yeast; I guess the taste
shows it. Comparing this to the Hoegaarden Witbier, it seems like the key noticeable
difference is the great flavour of spices in the Hoegaarden; the Belgian ale taste was
definitely detectable and I think it is stronger in the Moh Gwai. I am not sure if the
fruity tones in the Moh Gwai came from the Belgian yeast as well but Belgian ales just
tinkers in perfect tandem with my taste buds. I quaffed the last bit of the beer and found
it smooth and highly drinkable. A final note about the after taste is that it carries a
certain level of bitterness which was just slightly on the high side. Nonetheless, the
Moh Gwai's a great ale and I highly reccomend it.

Moh Gwai from Brewerkz - Riverside Point