Black Fox Diablo | Bristol Brewing Company

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by beergoot on 02-18-2012

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%

I had the privilege of tasting this beer with one of the brewers at the RMMS.

The beer pours a wonderful black color with a small off white head. The small head might be due to the fact that I was having it out of a growler and was not able to get a great pour.

The beer smelled of dark malts, coffee, and a hint of cayenne pepper. It did not have much of a cherry aroma.

The beer tasted magnificent. First you are hit with dark malts and some sweetness that finishes with a kick of pepper but leaves the palate nice and clean. This is all well balanced with a solid mouthfeel.

Overall this is one devilish beer. It is balanced and yet complicated with the malt, small hint of fruit, and cayenne pepper finish. I would not want to drink it everyday but it certainly was a nice treat.

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is dark, almost black. Thin, light brown head that disappears quickly but leave nice lacing down the glass.

The smell is like rich, black coffee and roasted grains. Spicy hop scent, too.

The taste exudes dark, complex malt tastes and peppers and chili.

The mouthfeel seems more medium bodied than my draft serving from yesterday. Very satisfying.

Like I mentioned in my review of the draft serving, this complex beer seems more like a chili beer (porter chili?!). I don't know if the brewery will produce this again. I was told by the server that all they had left was what was in their tap keg, so get it while you can.

Black Fox Diablo from Bristol Brewing Company