Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Gold Crown Premium Beer | Jones Brewing Company

Added by Deuane on 06-02-2011

Reviews by GMB:
3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

2.8/5  rDev -2.8%

First off, the Stoney's website image of this brew is deceptive. I don't see the near-copper golden body pouring out of my 16 oz can. It appears plain gold with a little tarnished yellow.

Extremely mild in smell. Wet malts and grassy hops.

Palatable for sure, but notably bland. Hops to balance, if that's possible. There's barely any maltiness to speak of, so I guess this brew is relatively hoppy.

On the lighter side, but fuller than say a Coors Light. Also, it's probably more enjoyable out the can than in the glass. However, that's not to say it wouldn't be better on-tap. Just my assumption.

Note: had I not received an employee discount, a flat of 24 16 oz cans would have cost me about $15.

Pounder into 20oz glass.

Nice golden color, not a strange yellow. White foamy head that left some lacing.

Smells decent. Beery and bready.

Good. Like previous reviewer said, more hops than malts, but still faint. Not bad.

Smooth and lightly carbonated.

For $15 a case of pounders, this beer is a deal. Good cheap beer with some flavor. A slightly bolder version of Stoney's.

Pours a very clear, very light yellow with a large white head that dissipates, but does not disappear and leaves some nice lacing
Smell is musty grains.
The taste of this stuff is blander than bland. It's like club soda with a pinch of starch tossed in. It's clearly an all-malt lager made in the cheapest possible way. While the end price is certainly quite cheap and I appreciate the effort, it's really not worth drinking. There may not be any all malts in this price range, but I've had better adjunct beers than this, so I'll stick with them.
One thing I found very odd is the lack of explanation on the can as to what this is. If you're going to make a dirt cheap all-malt, there's no point in doing it without making your intentions clear. The only thing that made me suspect there was something different about this brew was it's placement in the store next to the Stoney's. Still, I figured it was probably a cheap-ass adjunct lager since all it claimed to be was "premium beer." And I think we all know what that claim usually means. It looks a lot sketchier than it is, is what I'm saying. Maybe they're trying to appeal to hipsters and hipsters only? I don't know, but I see no point in making a brew that's supposed to be different from the rest, then packaging it in such a generic fashion. I didn't know it WASN'T an adjunct lager until I got on Beer Advocate to review it.

Gold Crown Premium Beer from Jones Brewing Company