Heavy Seas - Oak Aged Prosit! | Heavy Seas Beer

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

An "Imperial" Oktoberfest.

Added by on 09-12-2009

3.63/5  rDev 0%

I have tried this beer in two different forms, but have not had it oak aged. Perhaps that should be an afterthought, rather than a description of the beer itself, since this

I had it directly from the tap at the Clipper City Brewery in Arbutus, Maryland, and I had it in the 22 oz. bottle that it was sold in for the Oktoberfest season.

Prosit! is part of Clipper City's new Mutiny Fleet series of bombers from the Heavy Seas line.

Out of the tap in August, this beer was so hot alcohol wise that I wouldn't have been happy to have paid for it -- thankfully I didn't. I was given some as a celebratory beer after finishing my BJCP exam -- one in which I had to formulate a recipe for an Oktoberfest. The alcohol was so prevalent that it overpowered all of the other flavors that should come out.

When I tried it from the bottle in late September, it was a completely different story. The alcoholic heat had mellowed, leaving behind all of the expected flavors of an Oktoberfest -- from hell.

Think of this beer as a Märzen on steroids. All of the flavors you would associate with the Oktoberfest style are there, they're just amped up to that oft overused "imperial" level.

Still, this is a fine beer if you can recognize that it's NOT just a regular old Oktoberfest. It's something altogether new.

Heavy Seas - Oak Aged Prosit! from Heavy Seas Beer