Short's Chinook The Pale Eskimo | Short's Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by TCHopCraver on 03-29-2010

3.83/5  rDev 0%

I had this first from a growler that my buddy had filled from the brewery about a month ago, and then I reviewed it yesterday when I made a journey with friends to the brewpub.

A: Bright golden-yellow. Perhaps a little on the clear side. It had a 1-finger white head with good retention in a 14 oz. goblet. The head had big, empty-in-the-middle carbonation bubbles. Sticky lacing coated the glass in vertical, icicle-like patterns.

S: A distinct piney and grassy hop aroma. I'm not sure if this ale was brewed with all Chinook hops, but if it was, that would certainly explain just how piney the fragrance was. There were some light grapefruit notes hiding in the bouquet. The smell was a bit watery in general; it didn't really leave a huge impression on my nose.

T: More sweet citrus (orange and peach) flavors were evident in the taste than I got from the smell, but the dry, piney-ness was still prominent. The beer was ever so slightly watery, which I would guess is because the malts didn't quite balance out the big hop character. The finish was nice and dry and Chinook-y.

M: Relatively light-bodied, but it did have a good, clean feel on the tongue. It didn't ignite all of my feel receptors, but I appreciated the crispness of the body.

D: I could tip back a few of these in a session. Quite refreshing with that piney hop character taking center stage.

Short's Chinook The Pale Eskimo from Short's Brewing Company