Kolsch 45 | Short's Brewing Company

Style: Kölsch

Added by drabmuh on 06-03-2011

3.9

4.36/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.74/5  rDev -29.7%

12 oz can. Pours slightly hazy yellow gold with a medium creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet bready bubblegum malts with some noble hops.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with a touch of fruit and some peppery grassy hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, just OK.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Short's Brewing Co. "Kolsch 45"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, packaged on 07/05/16 and sampled on 09/29/16
$2 @ Wegmans, King Of Prussia, PA

To celebrate my upcoming return to Germany I decided to go with one of my favorite styles, Kolsch. (Haha! I just got the name... Colt 45 / Kolsch 45... cute.) I'm wondering what the "Northern Michigan twist" is though.

Appearance: It's hazier than I'd expect of the style but the color seems right and the head retention is pretty good. The lacing, however, could be better.

Aroma: I get a pleasant malt note and grassy hops in the aroma, along with the requisite yeasty fruitiness. It's hoppier than many examples, so maybe that's the Michigan twist.

Taste: The flavor follows, adding in a bit of sugary malt sweetness and a light hoppy spiciness. I'm even finding some banana, which is a bit odd (I don't think this is normal, I'm guessing that the yeast in this bottle has been up to a little work on its own, probably left for too long in a warm area). Firmly bitter and drying in the end with a lingering hoppy spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light in body and gently crisp as it should be. Easy across the palate, but with enough zest to garner your attention.

Overall: Once again I feel like I've got a sample that's a little long in the tooth, or 'worn', despite that fact that it's not even three months old yet. Still, I can see what this beer could be on a better day, and I'm pleased. It reminded me of a Kölsch that I had in a tiny restaurant in Berlin, just around the corner from "Trabi World" (I didn't take a Trabant tour, BTW, that's for tourists and I was with family and had a brand new BMW!). I can't recall the name of that beer, I'd never seen it before, and haven't since, but I remember the flavor and aroma. So, perhaps a slight bit sweet, but quite good overall. Nicely done, and massively quaffable!

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this one in a variety pack a few years ago, so happy it's back again so I can give it a proper review. Pours a hazy pale gold color with a few fingers of fluffy head that dissolves to a white cap. Streaky lacing is left behind. Aroma is bright and big: biscuit malt, lemony cream, and some yeast esters reminiscent of Belgian ales. Surprised at that, I didn't recall that last time. All these are found in the flavor, as well as pear/apple and a peppery zip on the finish. Medium feel, fuller than I remembered, too. All in all, delicious and refreshing.

3.69/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed at Joe Short's 37th birthday party at HopCat GR 12/16/15

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

L - This beer pours golden and crystal clear. It is topped with a couple inches of eggshell head that loves some lacing as it recedes.

S - The smell has some milled grain characteristics. I also get a little lemongrass.

T - The taste features more of the lemongrass. There is a grain taste with a slightly bitter metallic finish.

M - Smooth and creamy.

O - Kölsch beers are not my favorite style. This is a decent beer. Reminds me of the old rust belt lagers of the 1970's with a little more flavor.

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good refreshing summer beer

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%