The Extra Special Bitter | Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2005

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3
Reviews by OldFrothingSlosh:
3.44/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

64oz. growler courtesy of AKSmokedPorter.

Pours a lovely burned clear copper in color with very, very thick and sticky white head that not only lasted the entire pint(s), but also left thick lacing on the glass. Most impressive. Smell? Hmph. This one really surprised me. The nose on this one screams "Budweiser". It just hit me really hard and was tough to get around. Not much else could I detect. Flavor gets better, but not by too much. There's a good level of bitterness that is somewhat tempered by a light malt backbone. More like an AIPA to me. Earthen, grassy finish with long-lasting dryness. Slightly thin in the mouthfeel and drinkability takes a hit due to the pervasive macro nose this one has. Next time I'm in Greensboro I'll have to re-visit this one and see if it gets better next time 'round.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Great to see Natty's make an ESB one of my favorite style I was they would soon.Pours a nice clear copper with a decent fluffy white head leaving a light amount of lace,very firm dry malty aroma like freshly baked biscuits with a nice abount of herbalness from the generous amount of hops.A big malt attack hits up front dry but with some fruit finishing with a hefty amount of bitterness that lingered making me want more just great balance.I had to peel myself off the seat or I would have sat there all afternoon drinking this one,a big winner.

The Extra Special Bitter from Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.