Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Strawberry Fields | North Country Brewing

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.9/5  rDev -1%

After spending a hot day hiking, I decided that it was the best time I would find to try a light, fruity beer so I ordered myself one. After reading other reviews, I decided this beer doesn't fit under the "fruit bowl" that is already on this site. That beer has berries and other fruits, while this is just strawberries. I think that North Country might brew several different beers with different fruits while calling them all fruit bowl beers. I'm not sure, but either way I recorded this one based upon the name on the chalkboard at the brewpub.

Strawberry Fields has a hazy, golden-yellow body and a wispy white head. The head has OK retention, but it does manage to leave a few scraggly patterns of lacing behind.

The aroma has a distinctly grainy quality to it, with a hint of fresh strawberries.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoy the flavor of this beer. The base beer seems to be an ale that has both malted wheat and barley, but mostly wheat. A little bit of wheat twang is followed by a lot of grainy flavors and a bit of cereal-type flavors. No noticeable hops. Throughout the beer, there is a light yet noticeable fresh strawberry flavor that is quite nice. Strawberry Fields works because the fruit flavor comes off as natural strawberries and is present but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel is pretty solid, I think it definitely contributes to the overall positive impression this beer left me with. It has a little bit of body to it, but the carbonation is ramped up to a very high level. I think it helps the fruit from becoming cloying while bringing out the wheat base.

As fruit beers go, this was a pretty solid and refreshing option on a nice day. Not bad at all.
NOTE: I should also mention that the listed ABV was between 4.3-4.7. I only glanced at it because I wasn't thinking about having to add this beer to the database, so I'm not positive.

Strawberry Fields from North Country Brewing