Dry January Triple IPA

Rated:
Mar 26, 2021
Added:
Jan 10, 2020

So, instead of joining in and forgoing booze for 31 days, we’re doing “Dry January” a little bit different. Featuring an abundance of Calypso, Zythos®, and Mandarina Bavaria hops, this Triple IPA is designed for those who prefer to imbibe on a cold winter’s night, no matter the month.
Recent ratings and reviews.
Reviewed by jbradley42 from Massachusetts

3.71/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Poured into a glass from can, showing a copper hue with a nice little creamy head with some lacing.

I smell the caramel malt and some booze but not over powering.

The taste is malt forward with some sticky pine herb hop and does a really nice job of hiding such a high ABV.

The malt dominates and, as it warms it begins to show more of the hop profile.
The can mentioned Lotus and Chinook hops which might color my impressions, but it reminds me
of stronger version of Long Trail Limbo IPA, sitting more on the west coast style side.
Mar 26, 2021
Reviewed by puboflyons from New Hampshire

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
From the 16 oz. can dated 12/21/20. Sampled Feb 6, 2021.

Good looking amber colored pour underneath a lingering cream colored head.

I expected more hops in the aroma but I'm getting caramel malts and an earthy and herbal hop presence. No booze for 11%.

Smooth medium mouthfeel.

Generally, a pleasant tasting caramel malt sweetness with a lower profile earthy hop presence than I might have anticipated. The alcohol is buried in both the aroma and taste.
Feb 06, 2021
Reviewed by bobv from Vermont

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
16 oz. can.
Canned 12/16/19.
May have waited too long on this;
although it has been kept cold in the back of my fridge for over five months!
Moderate pour yields a one inch off white head over a slightly hazy, copper body with sticky lacing. Nose of malt, tropical fruit, and citrus with a hint of candied orange and candied lemon. Taste mirrors nose with a definite malty, boozy sweetness throughout and finishing almost like a barleywine with a boozy dryness at the end. Tasty! Nice feel and overall, I hope they do this again so I can review a fresher one next January!
Cheers!!
Jun 01, 2020
Reviewed by tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
A thanks to the duke of drunkenness, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a copper.orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of caramel, citrus. Taste is citrus, alcohol, melons, light caramel, moderate bitterness. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.
May 16, 2020
Reviewed by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
I have been dabbling with Bottles, collabs, spiced/pepper beers, everything except for The CANQuest (tm) for the past few days. Now, I am ready for a CANned beer! This was CANother one of my last purchases at/from Rieker Bottle Works before everything went to shut-down/shut-in.

From the CAN: "Love Beer. Love Life.(R)"; "[contains alcohol]"; "We’re not sure who came up with the idea of spending their January beer-free, but we’d like to go on record and say—that sounds awful. So, instead of joining in and forgoing booze for 31 days, we’re doing 'Dry January' a little bit different."; "Featuring an abundance of Calypso, Zythos®, and Mandarina Bavaria hops, this Triple IPA is designed for those who prefer to imbibe on a cold winter’s night, no matter the month."; "Employee Owned"; "70 IBUs".

I was a little late in CANming to this one, given that it is now April, so I Crack!ed open the vent & beCAN a slow, gentle C-Line Glug into the awaiting glass. This resulted in the rapid formation of just over two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, eggshell-white head with decent retention. Color was solid-Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose held a tropical fruitiness as well as a light citrusiness. It was pineapple, mango, orange/tangerine & grapefruit, all kind of blended together. Mmm. Mouthfeel was big, full & dense, like a dollop had been scooped into my mouth & onto my tongue! This is what I expect & look for in this style. The taste had a greater bitterness than what the nose had led me to expect. It was much more citrusy, like grapefruit & orange/tangerine, with a cool mintiness, like pine/eucalyptus. Phew! It also gave rise to its name - DRY. It was veddy dry, rather unexpected, but just my speed. I liked its range from nose to taste, but this was a no playin' around big beer! One was plenty, but I only had one, having turned the other over to @tone77 on his visit. YMMV.
Apr 03, 2020
Reviewed by BEERMILER12 from Maine

A: Pours a copper color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a nice cap that leaves good lacing

S: Lots of citrus, pine, and caramel up front along with some lighter earthy notes. Booze in there as well, as expected for an 11% TIPA

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with a good mix of citrus, pine, caramel, and fruity booze. Goes into some lighter earthy notes and a moderately high bitterness that is balanced nicely by the malt. Finishes with lingering pine, booze, and earthiness

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A solid triple IPA that packs a punch. Nice west-coast style so there is definitely quite a bit of bitterness to go along with the hefty malt bill. Makes for a good sipper, though
Mar 05, 2020

Rated: 3.8 by Klister from Maine

Feb 08, 2020
Reviewed by smcolw from Massachusetts

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
Caramel amber color. Nearly clear. Small head. Some streaks for lace.

Not as boozy as I'd expect for a triple IPA. Still, there's plenty of caramel and enough alcohol to fit the profile.

The body is thin but the carbonation level is low giving the beer a lighter feel. This mouthfeel leads to a deceptive potency. The malt is darker and toasted. The finish is hoppy (bitter) with a solid alcohol warmth. Long aftertaste.
Jan 18, 2020