New Beer Sunday (Week 717)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by cjgiant, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Good morning, BAs and in particular NBS regulars. I hope you have a beer squirreled away for today - one which will be opened both physically and figuratively. We want you to open the beer and also to open your thoughts about it to us. While what we do here is all about the new, the thread itself isn't all that new. We have been at it for nearly 14 years (note that by we, I mean the collective BA "we", as I certainly have not been around for it all).

In the 700+ weeks, what we maybe haven't done is a collective new beer share. I am guessing that back at the beginning of this thread there were fewer options and the contributors maybe overlapped on a few beers on any given Sunday. Even now, we occasionally see a popular new beer get a couple reviews on the same day - especially when the generosity of the BA community shows up via shared beers. But has there been a planned beer share in this thread?

I posed that question a few weeks back, and I got at least a general interest from quite a few of you. We also acknowledged that it would be hard to find a suitable offering to make it work. In a recent thread, it was reported that Sierra Nevada (a brewery we felt might have to be involved in the bold effort of an NBS virtual share) will be brewing a Resilience Butte County Proud IPA to raise money for those affected by the fires in California. As the links indicate, they are trying to get other breweries involved - it appears that will all follow a recipe in a virtual collaboration, but my understanding on that detail is shaky. Either way, this brew caught my eye as potentially fitting for a virtual tasting NBS tasting if enough is made and distributed. I think it might count on the partnering breweries making their own versions that aren't draft-only (note that one article I read has the SN version likely out in January).

Regardless of whether this IPA from Sierra Nevada and friends ends up fitting the bill, I'm still up for trying a NBS virtual share some time. Once we find a beer that is new to enough of us, we'd all agree on a particular date to open this beer, like we do any new beer, and check out its appearance. While we're not entirely superficial, we do like a fetching glass of beer. Then we take a sniff; I'd like to say we do so in a dignified manner, but situation will dictate how deeply into it we get. Next we try a taste, and hope our palate responds to the beer in a positive nature. We hope the tasting continues to feel right, and as we drink the last sip that the overall experience has us wanting the beer in a non-new setting.

Hopefully we can find common ground with an NBS share in the near future, but for today we will have to stick to our individual offerings. Sharing will still be involved, in the form of your descriptive posts, which is what makes this thread so enjoyable to many. So who wants to start our weekly show and tell session? Raise your hands and wait to be called upon... or just chime in and we'll sort out any conflicts later.

2. joe1510

joe1510 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,522) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah

This thread was began with a focus, of sorts. It wasn't a focus on the same beer but on the same style. At the beginning, and for several weeks after, this thread was focused on new saisons. It was called "Saison Sunday" and the goal was to get searching for, purchase, trade, acquire, and drink a new saison each Sunday with a review/thoughts/discussion. It was a dedicated group with lively banter, the majority of which are no longer active on this site.

Fun fact: LNBA, which eventually morphed into WBAYDN, spawned Saison Sunday thanks to shared interest and camaraderie.

Although a good number of the regulars on here have likely already reviewed a majority of the nationally distributed saisons I think it would be a respectful throwback to encourage a Saison Sunday in the future. New saisons for whoever can round them up.

Roguer, GreenBayBA, meefmoff and 38 others like this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Plus even after it was New Beer Sunday the old forum made it so replies were posted right beneath the quoted post, and if someone had already posted a style, the next people to post that style did it as a reply to that style posting. At the end of Sunday you could easily see how many styles were posted, and an easy to view comparison of them all as replies just beneath the first one posted. So the idea of style was completely built in to this thread from the beginning.

That said, WBAYDN already has a style get together tasting, so if we have a vote on this my vote is for the suggestion of our esteemed leader, especially as it will be part of a nationwide effort to raise money for fire relief. I don't live in the area but many friends and family are in NorCal, so that enters into my opinion too.

Anyway, however we do it sounds like a lot of fun. Hope to be back with a new beer later, I'm sure I will be ready for one after putting the finishing touches on my 300 ft. long driveway. The foot of white near-slush, now white near-concrete, has been a nightmare. See ya inna bit. Cheers!

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Reviving a historical beer style

I just got back from a long road trip visiting family and friends in Texas. We also attended (once again) Wurstfest in New Braunfels, TX were many pitchers of Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier were consumed.

While visiting I picked up a few beers ‘native’ to Texas (i.e., not available for purchase in PA) and today I will be discussing one: Live Oak Grodziskie.

The Grodziskie beer style is not a well-known beer style. It is a Smoked Polish wheat beer that became ‘extinct’ circa 1993. Thanks to the efforts of Polish homebrewers (and others) this beer became resurrected although not too many US craft breweries make this beer so it was a joy to find a commercially brewed Grodziskie during my visit to Texas.

I homebrewed a Grodziskie beer once (in 2014) and I enjoyed drinking those beers. I vowed I would not brew this beer style again until one of the yeast vendors (e.g., Wyeast, White Labs,…) productizes a Grodziskie yeast strain. I have been waiting 4 years and so far no luck.

Below are some extracts from the BJCP style guidelines for the Grodziskie beer style:

“Overall Impression: A low-gravity, highly-carbonated, lightbodied ale combining an oak-smoked flavor with a clean hop bitterness. Highly sessionable.

History: Developed as a unique style centuries ago in the Polish city of Grodzisk (known as Grätz when ruled by Prussia and Germany). Its fame and popularity rapidly extended to other parts of the world in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Regular commercial production declined after WWII and ceased altogether in the early-mid 1990s. This style description describes the traditional version during its period of greatest popularity.”

The good news is that a commercial brewery opened in Poland in 2015 to once again make Grodziskie available to beer consumers. The brewery’s name is Browar w Grodzisku. I would encourage the interested reader to visit this breweries website and view the wonderful video interview there to learn more:

http://browargrodzisk.com/en/

Now, let’s discuss a bit about the Live Oak brewed Grodziskie. From the Live Oak website:

“Say: Grodz is key!

Grodziskie resurrects the last indigenous Polish beer style to go extinct in the twentieth century. Production ceased in Grodzisk in 1991. It is brewed using only oak-smoked wheat malt and assertively hopped like a pilsner. Even with a low ABV, the wheat malt delivers a full-bodied beer. The original Polish ale yeast strain ferments cold, alongside our lager yeast throughout lagering. Please enjoy this truly rare beer.

OG: 8ºP ABV: 3.0% IBU: 36

Availability: Year-round on draft and in cans”

On the 6-pack box there is:

“About the beer: Piwo Grodziskie is a centuries old Polish beer style that ceased commercial production in the late 20th century. A decoction mash, 100% smoked wheat malt, and noble Saaz hops join the traditional yeasts to bring this beer back to life in Texas.”

Boy, all of this typing has built up a powerful thirst. Let’s drink! Or as the Poles would say: Napijmy się.

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

A hazy straw yellow with a BIG fluffy white head. A beautiful Belgian lacs forms as the beer is consumed.

Aroma:

There is soft smoke accompanied with citrus (lemon) and herbal from the hops.

Taste:

The flavor is exactly like the nose with a combination of soft smoke and citrus/herbal flavors.

Mouthfeel:

Medium/light bodied with moderate carbonation. It has a dry finish.

Overall:

I think this beer is very good! I think my wife summarized this beer perfectly via her exclamation of “It’s delightful!”

If this beer was distributed in my area this would be a regular purchase for me.

Na Zdrowie!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @chipawayboy @RobH

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, Ranbot, Premo88 and 64 others like this.
  5. woodychandler

woodychandler Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,048) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Happy New @jkblr Sunday, MKII, or CANtinued (Week 717)!

Just like Jules lamenting that he didn't know anyone in "The 818" in "Pulp Fiction", we here in South Central PA call it "The 717". Greetings from The 717 on Week 717!

I CANpleted a CANTrade with someone who had never done a trade before & he really came through for me! It was all CANs on both ends, precipitated by my solicitation of Daredevil's Rauchbier, which he had recently reviewed. He simply wanted (my) local Oktoberfests in return. Easy, peasy, Japanese-y, lemon squeezy! I shipped first to model how it CAN be done & he did his part admiably, sending a nice assortment for me to review, rate & share in this weekly forum.

I began a couple of weeks ago with the Lagers, but between my barback gig at CKW2G & some of the Ales needing an add, I bogged down. 8=( Last week was interrupted by my annual Veterans' Day celebration with Chef Monty, but today, I am back on track! 8=)

This one is a twofer, crediting both collaborating/CANlaborating breweries:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20672/379286/?ba=woodychandler#review
    &
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/379287/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    Well, that may do it for me until post-shift, unless I am called off or cut early. Inna meantime, I'll see yinz inna funny papers! Oh, wait, that was last week's theme ...

6. traction

traction Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

[​IMG]

Beer
    CB Stout

Smell: Caramel with vanilla, coffee

Taste: Follows the nose with vanilla and coffee leading. A nice richness to this year. ABV is 12% I think and but the alcohol isn't especially present this doesn't feel boozy at all. Very little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, full bodied, perfect carbonation, almost sticky feeling

Appearance: Black as black gets, caramel colored head great retention. Even when the head dissipates a quick swirl of the glass brings it right back in full. Heavy lacing up and down the glass throughout the drink.

Overall: By any standard this is a high quality stout. I had seen a couple people sing its praises and I was wondering if it was just hype or the real thing. Well, it turns out the beer really is delicious; no BS around this one. Even in 2018 when a good stout is easy to find this one stands out. Personally I think it is on par with stouts put out by companies like Angry Chair. I hope this sees wider production one day.

Score: 4.5/5

#6 traction, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  7. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

@joe1510 and @cavedave - thanks for the historical tidbits. I always enjoy new information about this thread and community’s history. Also glad that quite a few of yous that joined in the aughts still take an interest and participate in the thread. Cheers!

8. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

New Beer Sunday: An American Wild Ale

Mornin’ NBSers with an alert for fans of Wild Ales that are tart, crisp and refreshing on a summer’s day or a great aperitif to wake up and tune up the tastebuds for breakfast. Also a thanks to @cjgiant for his start up today.

Today’s high temperature is expect to be in the mid 40s and the skies a mix of sunny and cloudy. This should take care of melting the few remaining patches from the 3-4 inches of snow that fell here on Thursday.

This morning’s new beer is the Allagash Two Lights. While listed here as an American Wild Ale this is a hybrid beer that includes both malt and the juice of freshly pressed white grapes. There are also two varieties of yeast involved in the fermentation, one of which is a Champagne yeast.

As usual, my review, in progress until the beer is finished or I start breakfast, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/292654/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas and flavors include some green orchard fruits, the white wine and some malt and wheat. In the background there are also some light tropical fruits and a touch of crisp tartness The light bitterness is herbal. A refreshing beer that is clean, light slightly tart, crisp and one I’ll be looking to have again.

Cheers, all!

9. jkblr

jkblr Grand Pooh-Bah (4,968) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good morning NBS
    My nightshift stretched to 14 hours last night so I'm electing to drink with the monks as opposed to attending church this morning...
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    11.2oz bottle bb 10/5/19 poured into a Spencer signature chalice at fridge temp 8.7% ABV. The beer pours dense black with mocha brown head. The head recedes to a thin island & ring leaving some lacing behind. The aroma is mild with roasted malt, chocolate and coffee in that order. The taste is dark roasted malt, licorice and baker's chocolate. The finish is dry with a roast driven medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium plus bodied with less than medium carbonation. No alcohol presence in the aroma or taste. Overall, unique and good. I suppose this is attempting to mimic historical or traditional versions of the style. Not sure I've ever had another RIS with quite the same profile.

I've been trying to group my new beers in a narrower focus recently in hopes that the scores and descriptions will be more cohesive. I just finished an Oktoberfest binge compliments of @woodychandler and now I have a fridge full of RIS & AIS to review before November ends.

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

Premo88, DISKORD, Prager62 and 57 others like this.
  10. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's a chilly November morning, so . . .

[​IMG]

Deep amber gold color with lasting cap and lacing.

Aroma of toasty, roasty caramel malt with herbal spicy hops.

Unusual for me in an Oktoberfest the first thing I taste are the hops. Malt is rich and layered with elements of both sweet malt and toasted/roasted malt yet there is no hint of roasted malt bitterness. Nor sweetness for that matter which may be due to the abundant hop presence. Fairly complex and consistent to the end.

Medium full texture with balancing carbonation.

A surprising Oktoberfest for me (wasn't expecting the amount of hopping) yet one I rather enjoy. Over the years I've had a number of fairly simple malt rich Oktoberfest versions and frankly I'm glad I came across this one where hops shine without becoming too bright to cast the malt into shadow. Well played.

11. Wasatch

Wasatch Grand Pooh-Bah (5,406) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks to the great start @cjgiant for this weeks NBS. Will be back later on with a new brew.

Cheers!

12. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! @cjgiant I like the Sierra Nevada idea, since presumably we will all have access. Just give us PA folks a few extra weeks to acquire a bottle...SN is notoriously slow to reach our shelves. :angry:

Starting today with this one from @vabeerguy . Triple Crossing is my favorite Virginia brewery, and this might be their best ipa yet.

Interstellar Burst - Triple Crossing
    DIPA - 8% abv
    Canned 11/1/18 (17 days ago)
    Score: 4.44 (+1.6% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34442/296213/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    My new favorite from Triple Crossing. So well balanced, without even a hint of booze in an 8% dipa. It’s so clean, it reminds me of a Brut but without the loss in hop flavor that a lot of the Bruts I’ve tried suffer from. Looks, smells, and feels incredible. The taste is all citrus, without any dank, floral, or vegetal tastes getting in the way. Thanks again Mike!

13. VABA

VABA Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,131) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a light amber color with a generous head and lacing
    A-Aroma has generous lime and aguave hints with some subtle tequila notes
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nicely balanced lime and aguave flavor with a tequila aftertaste
    M-A light bodied very well carbonated beer
    O-A very well done and balanced tequila barrel aged ale

14. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Grand Pooh-Bah (4,679) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lagunitas sparkling swan
    ..clear ruby color
    ..medium body with light carbonation
    ..aroma is vinegar, sour and wine funk, sweet and sour grapes
    ..taste us grape balsamic vinegar which is softened by some sweet grapes. There is a sour, funk taste but not overpowering
    ..overall it's very good but the most vinegar taste I've ever had in a beer which might turn some people off. Having early morning brunch and it did go well with baked applea[​IMG]

15. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

Sierra Nevada Single Hop Citra IPL

I had pretty much given up on running into Sierra Nevada's latest "single hop" 12 pack. The thing seemed to be oddly rare around these parts. Then I unexpectedly found it. These beers were packaged 2.5 months ago. If I can squeeze them in, I'd like to try all 4 today. We'll see.

[​IMG]
    I was almost regretting picking this up on the drive back from the store. Fortunately, this first beer made me feel "so far, so great." This is a great beer. I wasn't expecting such a light yellow and such clarity. I should have been thinking more "Pilsner" instead of IPA. It's a gorgeous beer with really great head stability. I really enjoy the look of beers like this. The sea-change that has happened with regard to clarity and head has only reinforced how beautiful beers like this shouldn't be taken for granted.

The feel is wonderfully creamy and soft. The taste is snappy malt, some herbal/spicy hops and a clear orange note. This beer hits with laser precision. On first impressions alone, I'd say this is perhaps the nicest Citra focused beer I've had. That's a sacrilegious comment to most. Maybe I'm just in a fabulous mood this morning.

16. joe1510

joe1510 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,522) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah

New Gruit Sunday

I woke up this morning to a snow covered yard with some continuing flurries. Nothing much, probably 1- 1 1/2" total, but it's looking pretty nice out there. I've got some shopping to do later, beer shopping included, so figured I'd get into something a little earlier than usual that, in hindsight, is rather fitting on a morning like this.

Courtesy of @SomethingClever

Rock Art - A River Runs Gruit

[​IMG]

Thanks for this one Dave! Love trying oddballs. A River Runs Gruit is a murky beverage. It looks like a dense, unfiltered apple cider. A fingers worth of sudsy, soapy bubbles form on the pour and crackle down to a thin ring around the glass. Large bubbles pop to the surface here and there. It's not the prettiest of libations. (4)

I could smell this stuff the second the can was cracked. It's savory and comforting. Rose hips and lavender bring about floral qualities, naturally, while chamomile and elderberry bring soothing comfort. There's a flash of cinnamon and even nutmeg. A little pencil lead pops here and there. Green apple and a drizzle of caramel round out the malt profile. This stuff smells as if there was a pot of apple cider mulling on the stovetop which is perfect for a snow covered morning like this one. (4.25)

The flavor isn't quite as vivid as the nose but it's still comforting. It's very tea like off the bat with chamomile taking center stage. The lavender and rose hips bring their floral quality to the finish. The baking spices are present from front to back, complementary. Again, this beer brings to mind green apples and a touch of caramel sweetness. There's a nice play between tart & sweet, both of which are mild, and savory & bright. This is a complex beer if a little muddled in flavor. The lines aren't quite as clean as the nose led on. (3.75)

The body is on the lighter side of moderate with a carbonation that's a little flaccid. This guy could probably use a touch more body and a little tighter bubbles. The finish leaves behind a nice numbing effect like you get from cinnamon at times, almost tannic. This beer is fun to drink and that boosts the drinkability quite a bit. (3.75)

A River Runs Gruit is an interesting beer. Every gruit I have ever had has been miles apart from the last. This one leans heavily toward a mulled cider and like I mentioned, that's perfect on a snowy morning like today. There's a lot of character in this beer and none of it is usually related to what we think of as beer characteristics. If this was available in my area I would pick it up from time to time, when the season is right. Thanks again, Dave! (3.75)

3.84/5 rDev +5.5%
    look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

17. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Been fighting the grunge for almost a month now, feel like shit so an early beer to hydrate.

My first Brut IPA is Galaxy from Westbrook Brewing. It pours and sets up beautifully, terriffic nose that overpowers with pineapple and sweet fruit. Taste follows its fruity and nicely bitter, it's certinly not an OJ bomb. Abv at 7% is a nice point for IPAs. Have to say with a blind taste and a look I'd just guess it to be a NEIPA that's a touch more bitter than most. Ive had beers from Resident Culture that follows this profile pretty closely, which IMO makes this a very good beer. I can't find any specifics on this beer so not really a clue there, but I'd suspect perhaps a Citra/ Moasic combo. So in calling this a Brut IPA I don't get it, it's all in a name I suppose and at this price point I'm not so sure I'd buy it again. To prorate this out would equal to $20 / 4'pks, there's other beers in this class that are simply much cheaper and just as good. I can drink one or two of these type of beers, but after that I'd really like fresh as hell Headhunter IPA. So not damning it with faint praise this is IMO a 4.25 kinda beer, but that's my point too, all these beers in these styles are 4.25 beers and a dulling SAMENESS. You cannot complain about quality, these beers are really good, but for the most part you have one you had them all and you might as well buy the cheapest.

18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Grand Pooh-Bah (5,731) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Starting off my NFL New Beer Sunday with Self Decapitation DIPA from Alewife...
    [​IMG]
    Collaboration with Torch & Crown Brewing...

I'm getting pine resin over tropical fruits, with a vague herbal, dank, earthy character... Bit of that 8.5% abv alcohol seems to slip through... Lightly tacky shellac to an otherwise smooth-feeling beer... 86 IBUs comes across as moderately bitter, sugars are subdued... Something about the beer tastes a little "off" to me - but it could just be my personal tastes these days... I'll assume its something on my end and err on the side of the brewer with my scoring, but I wasn't impressed...
    [​IMG]
    10/18/18 canning...

You know the line... :wink:
    [​IMG]

19. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's a tiny bit amusing how people (and particularly this site) think of IPA, NEIPA, and Brut IPA to be different styles of beer, and yet some Brut IPAs resemble NEIPAs while others resemble older American IPAs. If some Brut IPAs can resemble a NEIPA while others resemble an "American IPA," then it doesn't make total sense to think of NEIPAs and "American IPAs" as distinct things if one also recognizes Brut IPAs as such. :slight_smile:

Roguer, Lingenbrau, TheDoctor and 8 others like this.
  20. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

New beer #2. Thanks @FlintB ! @Blackop555 sent me a 6-year vertical of the base beer for our recent NBS BIF share, and the 2017 was my clear favorite. So looking forward to the BBA version of that vintage!

BBA Expedition Stout - Bells
    RIS - 12.8% abv
    2017 bottle
    Score: 4.65 (+3.6% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/130990/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    I’m just spoiled today. This is a god damn near perfect BBA stout. So much chocolate flavor, and tons of barrel notes, but with only a hint of boozy heat. I can’t believe this is 13%! I’d take this over BCBS any day of the week. Damn. I would be in great peril if this was available near me. I’m going to edit my profile to say that my preferred style of stout is year-old Expy. Thank you so much Brian!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.