0% IBU IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by McFinniganOfTheFinnigans, Jul 13, 2017.

1. McFinniganOfTheFinnigans

McFinniganOfTheFinnigans Initiate (167) Apr 20, 2017 Florida

So I'm sitting at Motorworks in Bradenton, FL. Try a bit of their 0% IBU IPA. It'll surprise you. Not one hint of bitterness. Better than their Hefeweizen.

What other breweries at the moment have done this before or are doing so now? It seems to be a fun way to garner new beer drinkers who would never drink an IPA.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  2. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,010) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

How much further will IPA be bastardized?

3. Todd

Todd Founder (5,507) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

4. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (115) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

Until people stop being so triggered about it.

5. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,478) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Good question.

6. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (155) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Marketing ploy. I've had The Veil's IdontwanttoBU and the flavor profile fits firmly within NE IPA. There's still a certain degree of bitterness, just obviously not what you would associate with a west coast IPA.

7. doktorhops

doktorhops Meyvn (1,408) Jan 12, 2011 Australia

Technically it is correct to say it has "zero IBUs" if the hops are added post-boil, as that is how the IBU number is calculated.

However like @JimBrody I have to agree it's a bit of clever marketing and not really a stylistic change.

WCIPA and NEIPA are distinctly new styles - Zero IBU IPA is not IMO.

To the OP though - yes it these "zero IBU" brews and NEIPAs in general are a much gentler introduction to IPAs... wish I had them when I started drinking IPAs, back then it was West Coast or nothing, took me years to get used to the extreme bitterness, now I'm just as likely to crack open a NEIPA anyway (3 Ravens Juicy IPA in my fridge as we speak!), cheers!

GreenBayBA and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  8. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,694) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Sounds utterly uninteresting

Txex06, HermitDan, beertunes and 9 others like this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,350) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I agree. Though I'm not an IPA fan due to the typically high level of bitterness, I feel that their bitterness is an inherent component of the style, and a main factor for their popularity. I still drink IPAs just to know what's out there and in the hope I'll find some I'll like, but 0 IBU? What's the point?

10. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (485) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Meh. I need that punch in my IPA's, even NE IPA's. I don't care for many of the Treehouse or Hoof Hearted versions because they tend to be too "juicy" and not enough punch. Give me a Trillium any day, which I find far more balanced for the style.

As far as zero-IBU's, even if a crap load of hops are added at flame out, you will get IBU's. The only way to really get nothing is to pre-cool the wort below say 170-180F and add the whirlpool hops. Even then, you likely will still get something. Not having any IBU's though I don't find appealing at all.

GreenBayBA, afrokaze, Ranbot and 3 others like this.
  11. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (275) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Assuming this is a blast at NEIPAs, then I hope much much further.

Brent212, GreenBayBA and ElijahSF like this.
  12. marquis

marquis Crusader (722) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Such a name would be illegal on this side of the pond and the brewer would be liable for a substantial fine.All goods have to be "as described" and there is no way to incorporate hops without some bitterness units.

GreenBayBA, beertunes, Ranbot and 4 others like this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,029) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Man, what a waste of hops. Seriously, if people don't like IPAs, who cares? Why make a beer that uses hops in the most inefficient manner simply so someone doesn't have to encounter some bitterness? Seriously, eat a hop cone, that shit is bitter.

14. lester619

lester619 Zealot (511) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

That's kind of like adhesive free glue or alcohol free vodka. It's simply a way get people's attention. Pointless but harmless.

15. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (493) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Science would indicate otherwise.
    What brewers do, essentially, is make tea. When tea is boiled. It becomes bitter. Same thing happens with hops. The longer you boil them. And the more of them in there. The more bitter their representation in the beer becomes. On the other side of boil. Below 180ºf, it becomes a steeping temperature.

GreenBayBA and BradenMK like this.
  16. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Lol, science.
    while isomerization of said hop oils happens above 180 degrees, there is recent research that may indicate it happens during dryhopping as well. Also, other compounds in hops have bitter flavors that translate to the beer post boil. While your science may be correct in regards to isomerization, it is a bit out of context. Don't believe me? Make some hop tea and get back to me.

BradenMK and cavedave like this.
  17. montman

montman Disciple (384) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Yeah the Veil actually has a series (single/double/triple) of these "0 IBU" beers and they are all very good. There is very little perceived bitterness but it is still a IPA, people shouldn't get too caught up in in the marketing.

GreenBayBA and JimBrody like this.
  18. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (321) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

::YAWN::

GreenBayBA likes this.
  19. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Devotee (492) Dec 12, 2014 California

GreenBayBA, beertunes and lester619 like this.
  20. tillmac62

tillmac62 Meyvn (1,445) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

It's a sacrilege and the brewers should be tarred and feathered.

beertunes likes this.
  21. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,606) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Henhouse in Santa Rosa has been playing around with 0 IBU beers. I thought of the BA article when I first tried one. It's different--I noticed the lack of bittering from a traditional hop addition (is that the right technical term?) and it took away from the beer. But my sample size is exactly one beer so I can't speak with any authority one way or another yet. And for what it's worth my buddy raved about another 0 IBU in their series that I've yet to try.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  22. MFMB

MFMB Champion (828) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Had this one a month ago from Crooked Goat called Nebula. Was interesting to say the least. Oddly enough I got a fair amount of coffee from this beer.

Squire123 likes this.
  23. lester619

Beer Trader

beertunes and eldoctorador like this.
  24. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (168) Dec 6, 2013 Texas

IBU is a measurement of a specific oil that, so far as we know, is only extracted above 180 degrees. Zero IBUs does not mean zero bitterness. Are these beers less bitter? Yes. Does that make them bad beers? No.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  25. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (493) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

'May indicate' doesn't convince me that you have a more valid point. Link please.
    What temperature are you considering for said hop tea? DIfferent things happen as the temp goes down for what you are steeping it at.
    From my own experience. I've had a beer turn out way too bitter for its own good because of the whirlpool addition being added while the water was still in the 200+ range. It did not scale up well.
    I also deliberately made a hop blowout beer with about 25 ounces of hops added to after flamout for a 5 gallon, or so yield as a hop experiment for the homebrew club I belong to. Size matters. It was mouthpuckeringly bitter. But it was also very different than the kind of bitterness which happens on the front of the boil.
    I also have a room temperature steep of something like 8 ounces of last years fresh hops that someone has growing in my neighborhood sitting in a jar that I can't figure out what to do with. I wouldn't not mind drinking it. I haven't brewed anything that I would want to add it to lately either. It certainly tastes like hops. But, it would be interesting to figure out what the proper ratios are to achieve a good tea of them.
    Thank god for the internet, because http://www.therighttea.com/hops-tea.html

GreenBayBA likes this.
  26. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,262) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Didn't Brew Dog make one like this?

27. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (155) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland
    Beer Trader

To clarify, my post was simply intended to touch on the flavor profile of this "style" of beer. Anyone who may rush out to find these zero IBU IPAs expecting some new paradigmatic shift in hoppy beer would be disappointed. I doubt many could pick out the zero IBU beers in a blind taste test of NE IPAs - I'm sure I couldn't, at least among The Veil's beers (although TBH, I think most of their hoppy beers taste about the same anyway).

28. lester619

Beer Trader

:grinning:
    Served from a dead opossum.

29. McFinniganOfTheFinnigans

But that's the thing. West Coast IPA I find are bitter just for the shits. Where as others in the US look for a more well balanced product.

bbtkd likes this.
  30. lester619

Beer Trader

I'm no expert, but as a practical matter no beer has zero IBU's if there's hops in it right? Even if it's a style like a witbier that's not hop forward it's going to register some IBU's. Calling something an IPA with no bitterness whatsoever is really pretty stupid.

beertunes and SFACRKnight like this.
  31. McFinniganOfTheFinnigans

Oh you mean like Vegan Weed?

lester619 likes this.
  32. lester619

Beer Trader

That's another good one.

33. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Aspirant (249) Oct 27, 2012 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I feel like Bearded Iris in TN is a perfect fit for you. I too love a little bit to my iPas and I feel like they've mastered the NE style with a bit of bitterness right at the end.

You should seek out Homestyle.

GreenBayBA and invertalon like this.
  34. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Aspirant (249) Oct 27, 2012 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

35. Jag237

Jag237 Initiate (144) Aug 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I've had several of the Veil beers in their 0 IBU series and while they are enjoyable I tend to feel like there's something missing so I don't buy them. However, I know and hear about plenty of people that go nuts for them so I feel like just because some of us think its not a true IPA or a bastardization of the style doesn't mean they're not still doing something right.

36. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

You missed the point. My point was that IBU measurements and bitterness percieved are not the same thing.
    Also, tea steeped as low as 100 degrees can be bitter, despite what you seem to imply.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  37. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (232) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Agreed. These morons are so triggered by the term IPA they will run out and stand in a line. Triggered further by words like juicy, sweet, ripened fruit, flour, hazy, and pillowy regardless if any apply. Triggered further by words like sixteen, ounce, cans, apple puree, vanilla, limited, chairs, and silent .

Leads to a ton of dudes bro-ing up on line for something they know nothing about about to try to sell it to other new money bros for 3x+ sticker or razzle it on FB for even more.

I agree. When this stops IPA will stop being bastardized further.

GreenBayBA, ecpho and eldoctorador like this.
  38. basics

basics Initiate (78) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Lol at people not being able to accept that there are beers made without any trace of noticeable bitterness. If you try Idontwanttobu you understand what no bitterness tastes like.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  39. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,977) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Lol at people able to accept that there are beers made without any trace of noticeable bitterness and still calling those beers IPAs.

Cheers!

GreenBayBA, beertunes and Squire123 like this.
  40. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,277) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.