100th Review

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by octortus, Dec 2, 2019.

1. octortus

octortus Initiate (180) Mar 11, 2019 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

I'm coming up on my 100th review and wanted to do something a bit special.

Some intriguing beers in the fridge include 3F's Hommage, BFM's Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien and Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout.

I plan on reviewing it on Christmas.What would you pick and why?

Thanks!

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,494) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Go for a "classic" you haven't reviewed yet. Something like Celebration, La Fin du Monde, etc.

Bshaw22, Roguer, egrandfield and 5 others like this.
  3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,879) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Bshaw22, egrandfield and FBarber like this.
  4. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,552) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I checked out your reviews/ratings, and you certainly don't fool around with ticking crappy beers (most of the ones on your 91 beers so far are excellent choices). 3F or BCBS...flip a coin or go with what you are in the mood for that day. Both are excellent options. Do both on X-mas... #'s 100 and 101.

5. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,208) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Trader

Well, BCBS is a bit of a ground-breaking beer, in spite of its ownership.. It's still all the rage this time of year, and likely kicked off the craft beer hobby for a lot of people.

That gets my vote, 3F is amazing, but BCBS is an American classic.

6. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,738) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Two reasons to go for the BCBS - especially on Christmas:
    One, its super-rich, warming, and roasty, with tons of chocolate and bourbon - a perfect treat for a cold holiday night...
    Two, its #23 on the Top 250 right now, ahead of Hommage at 126, and the Abbaye at 513 - meaning its fair to say that its widely accepted as one of the very best beers out there, and a great tick for special day...

DoctorZombies likes this.
  7. octortus

Trader

Had it before my reviewing days... Would love to taste it again. I don't have access to very much great American beer, living in Canada... But, you're right, I'm very, very thankful for Belgium!

beertunes and bbtkd like this.
  8. octortus

Trader

BCBS might be the frontrunner... How can you not want a phenomenal stout, by the fire, on Christmas day? Nothing else to do but sip. Thanks for the compliment, I avoided beer for so long because no one handed me a good one. I'm thankful to appreciate the culture.

9. octortus

Trader

Noted! Thank you!

10. octortus

Trader

Damn. Sold!

Greywulfken likes this.
  11. egrandfield

egrandfield Disciple (321) Mar 19, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

bbtkd and beertunes like this.
  12. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (13) Nov 5, 2019

Go to the Top 250 list on this site and review something that scores 100, which gives you quite a few options.

13. beertunes

Trader

14. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,097) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Id go with the abbae du saint bon chienne personally. It's a unique and special beer. A worthy and entertaining sipper that will really stretch your vocabulary on the review.
    You've got good enough choices that I don't think you'll be disappointed no matter your choice

15. octortus

Trader

Heavy favourite is Goose Island! How can you turn down a warming (and so highly rated) stout on Christmas?

16. beertunes

Trader

Well, me personally, I don't drink Inbev products, so it would be easy. You have fun!

17. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,097) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

stouts are so pedestrian. I'm telling you, go with the BFM. It was a self professed wine snob that turned me on to the church of the good dog, he literally said 'I didn't like beer at all until I tried this one, now I rarely drink wine' and poured me a glass of abbey de saint bon-chiene. It's really something wonderful in the beer world and it's made with love high up in the swiss alps. Stout season lasts about half the year where you live, 100th reviews only come once. Save that bcbs for a protest for independence or a state cheese makers strike or some other more weekly quececois activity :wink:

beertunes likes this.
  18. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Devotee (493) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Bourbon County definitely gets my vote. I make a habit of opening one every Christmas. It's just such a renowned beer, and it fits the bill perfectly. It's rich, sweet, luscious, and will pair wonderfully with a Christmas dessert of your choice. It's a special beer for a special day, and will make a very nice 100th review.

19. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Meyvn (1,023) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

Congrats!! Pick something you have always wanted to try