2018 Oktoberfest Releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by steveh, Jul 18, 2018.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,045) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

I bet no one would have expected me to start this thread -- especially on July 18! Since I saw Warsteiner Oktoberfest 12-packs available in a large retailer today, I thought it might be the earliest sighting ever and ought to be documented.

Yep. Woodman's in Kenosha, WI has a fresh stack of Warsteiner Oktoberfest (best by May 2019). Maybe the non-Bavarian breweries are trying to get a jump on the old favorites? I could see that, but it also seems that Wisconsin is starting to become one of those areas where Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr are available year-round. 12-packs of both are at the same store; best by April, 2019.

So here it is, just past mid-July* and the sightings have begun -- have at it all!

(*you know I want to insert Johnny Cash here... :grin:)

2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,260) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Sadly they are hitting now and you have the option of enjoying fresh or waiting and they are months old. I plan to enjoy them when they hit. Pretty soon we will see these landing in May as the creep progresses.
    LOL
    Cheers

azorie, CrimeDog, BenHoppy and 2 others like this.
  3. steveh

Hopefully we can swing it around back to September as it creeps! :grin:

BruChef, FBarber, Harrison8 and 4 others like this.
  4. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (244) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

You say that like it's a bad thing! (and it's certainly NOT a bad thing at all).

YamBag and ecpho like this.
  5. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

I never see beer as a bad thing. But I think most of us would enjoy these more in their season. Drinking a fall Oktoberfest beer in the scorching heat of the summer is sort of out of place. And every year we see these pop up earlier and earlier.

6. LuskusDelph

Interesting.
    Although, I feel that a good O-Fest brew (or practically any other well made brew) is refreshing year-round.

OscarO67, readyski, rronin and 4 others like this.
  7. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

So should they sell Christmas style beers year round if well made? The beer industry sells beers based on seasons, summer = lighter beers winter = darker heavier styles etc. No one is arguing quality or taste, Oktoberfest beers are my favorites but they seem a little out of place in July. I just think they should brew them in their intended season. Who wants a pumpkin beer in April.

8. LuskusDelph

To each his own!

9. steveh

Heavier and higher alcohol beers always tend to bog me down in warm weather -- always have. Lighter bodied and lower ABV beers are always more refreshing to me in hot, humid weather. I know a lot of people who agree with me.

If you can slug back a few Imperial Stouts on a hot August night, more power to you. But Oktoberfest Amber-Märzen just tastes better to me on a nice, cool Autumn afternoon.

10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (748) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

This is the only one that I really care about:

[​IMG]

11. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (304) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Haven't seen any yet. Any Sierra Nevada sightings? Always curious what their yearly rendition will bring.

Tdizzle likes this.
  12. steveh

What happened to the Maßkrug that came with the beer?

FBarber and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (222) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Why don't we just repost the thread on this topic from last year or the one before that?

TH28, azorie, Ranbot and 1 other person like this.
  14. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (304) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Had that for the first time last year and it was excellent. Much prefer it over their amber. Unfortunately hard for me to find though.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  15. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Better?

[​IMG]

FBarber, BenHoppy, Uniobrew31 and 6 others like this.
  16. steveh

Still seeing the Summerfest in great quantity.
    You need to peruse this thread.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  17. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

What fun would that be?

Lahey and johnnybgood1999 like this.
  18. steveh

Much.

FBarber and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  19. steveh

Because this is 2018, not 2017.

Besides, look at all of the newbies we have -- Johnnybgood only tried Paulaner Wies'n last year. :thinking_face:

Also, have you tried to kabosh all of the IPA threads that are more freaking redundant than hiccups? (sorry, just had to get snarky :grin:)

azorie, tzieser, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  20. ecpho

I didn't mean we shouldn't discuss the 2018 Oktoberfests - I meant the seasonal creep complaints.
    I love that Oktos are coming out earlier and earlier - as I said probably last year and the year before that, some of us have AC so a light beer isn't always needed in summertime.

The Paulaner Weis'n is one of the best so he's doing ok. The holy grail is Traunsteiner of course (and SN is always a regular purchase.)

I'd love to stay here all day and squash all of the IPA/NEIPA threads but I'd have to quit my job. I'd love it if BA could split off IPAs into it's own website or at least allow us to filter those threads out.

storm72, ESHBG, YamBag and 1 other person like this.
  21. steveh

Okay, I definitely agree with that -- it should be its own thread. In fact, I think I tried to keep it out of last year's thread... but that failed all around.
    AC is not the same as a nice, cool evening on my patio.
    Have to take your word on that one, never had the opportunity to try it.
    See, we're not too far off in our thinking. :wink:

FBarber, Mvsmvs92 and ecpho like this.
  22. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (85) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I have no qualms about drinking 3 month old festbiers. I shall wait until I no longer wish to wait

jonphisher and TongoRad like this.
  23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,408) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I could happily drink a pale O'fest year-round; if I was still homebrewing it would probably be my 'house lager' style.

The ambers are another story, maybe a three season beer. :wink:

24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,574) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Last year (or the year before?) the Weihenstephan Oktoberfestbiers on my local beer retailers’ shelves were brewed in May. These beers were 4-5 months old during the season (September/October). I decided to drink locally brewed beers that were much fresher instead (and not stored in warm/hot conditions throughout the summer).

Cheers!

drtth and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  25. steveh

Not sure how far I trust these goobers...

Love watching the girl on the left trying to keep a straight face. :smile:

zid, hopsputin, bret717 and 5 others like this.
  26. ecpho

I meant pale Oktoberfest as well for year round drinking. Only a few marzens are drinkable for me.

EvenMoreJesus and TongoRad like this.
  27. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Not a bad idea, that.

28. JackHorzempa

Premium

If you are willing to travel down to Philly for a visit you can obtain a ‘special’ beer at Brauhaus Schmitz from Traunstein:

"The Traunstein Brauhaus Schmitz Oktoberfest beer is only available at Brauhaus Schmitz and it is specially brewed for them by Hofbräuhaus Traunstein, a brewery in Traunstein, southeastern Bavaria, Germany.”

I have had this beer over a number of years and for my palate it is excellent.

It is the pale colored beer in this photograph:

[​IMG]

John1985, FBarber, dshatel and 11 others like this.
  29. ecpho

I really would like them to offer a filter - just like I can avoid reading about Tom Brady, Tim Tebow or Alex Jones using a Google News filter.

LuskusDelph, Lahey and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  30. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Also available at Zum Schneider in NYC. Everything Traunsteiner I've had there has been excellent.

31. TongoRad

Premium Trader

So now that SN is collaborating with Weihenstephaner this year I'm wondering how much of each I'll buy. I usually get a case each right off the bat, but this year might just start with a sixer and see where to go from there.

Other guaranteed case purchases will be Spaten and Hofbrau, with a few others like Ayinger mixed in for varieties' sake.

32. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Hah! Those are exactly my kinda people! :grin:

zid, hopsputin, Lahey and 2 others like this.
  33. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,079) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

My local shop still has last year's Ayinger available as of 2 weeks ago. And I'm not ashamed to admit I was still buying it up until this past May.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  34. steveh

Man, you're weird... :smile:

Honestly, I'd love to see this view of the German culture put up against the new Infiniti (IIRC) commercial that's being played -- talk about twisting stereotypes! :slight_smile:

35. steveh

Those bottles are bound to gush all over, and their flavor has probably died out. Voice of experience.

36. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,079) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

This voice of experience considered them to be an experiment and was impressed that they tasted in fairly decent shape all things considered. But buying them now in July....just feels silly.

steveh likes this.
  37. steveh

I guess if it's all in the name of science...
    All of those things considered, the Ayingers I've gambled on this late (early?) in the season have been pretty bad.
    Agreed. The ones I bought were probably closer to May, but they were still well past their freshness. That was probably 3 years ago, since then I wait until I see the new cases dropped.

38. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Initiate (146) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

Drink them while there fresh, Last year I noticed they were fading at the end of September.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  39. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (256) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I'm ready to be out of these 2 miserable months (July and August) and on to September and October so bring them on. They remind me of what's about to come.

LuskusDelph and Mvsmvs92 like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Premium

Michael, are you sure it is the exact same beer?

“For the first time ever, Hofbräuhaus Traunstein will be brewing an Oktoberfest Lager made especially for Brauhaus Schmitz.”

http://www.beerscenemag.com/mc-events/brauhaus-schmitz-4th-annual-oktoberfest/

I always read this as it was (is) a special beer brewed solely for Brauhaus Schmitz.

The beer is branded as Hofbrauhaus Traunstein Brauhaus Schmitz Oktoberfest.

Does the beer served at Zum Schneider explicitly list the “Brauhaus Schmitz” part of this brand name?

Cheers!