A Salute to Saisons! (2022)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davl22, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (354) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

It’s spring and I’m rebooting the thread to celebrate my favorite style of beer…SAISON! Feel free to share any pics and reviews of whatever Saison/Farmhouse/Belgian inspired ales you’re pouring into your tulip glass! (Here's the previous thread: A Salute to Saisons.)

Kicking it off with a Kinda Classic from Suarez. Really clean, soft and fluffy carb, bubble gum, orange zest, spicy noble hops on the back end. Really well done saison.

Thread Goals: (1) Enjoy a Saison/Farmhouse Ale/etc. and tell us about it; (2) Share your favorites that people may (or may not) know about; (3) Offer suggestions. We all know the places in our backyard. We all know the places lauded for such beers. Let's hear about the ones we may not know of!

Cheers!

[​IMG]

Lukass, DrOfGolf, ATL6245 and 26 others like this.
  2. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

House of Fermentology/Freak Folk Complimentary Dots II: Golden Sour aged in wine barrels and then atop strawberries. My first beer from both of them and it’s great. Strawberry jam, a bunch of black pepper on the nose/palate. Medium+ acidity, nice barrel character and tannins. Very interesting.

Saison Day is April 23rd!!!

DrOfGolf, ATL6245, Harrison8 and 15 others like this.
  3. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,874) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks. I’m looking forward to getting this going again.

ChicagoJ and Davl22 like this.
  4. colby600

colby600 Crusader (785) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Fox Farm BA Freckled Fields (b1) 5% ABV, one of my favorite farmhouse ales from FF. Clean, medium carbonation, not acidic, hint of tartness with a lemon flavor. I do prefer the barrel aged version over the base version. I have a mag as well but I'm waiting to share it.
    [​IMG]

5. WickedBeer

WickedBeer Poo-Bah (2,590) Sep 23, 2015 Alabama
    Society Trader

Yesterday I got to experience a beer I most likely will never lay my hands on again. This year’s Invitational at Side Project brewing was a plethora of first-time beers for me, but this opportunity was unreal.

The beer was Beatification Batch 001-PH1. Originally brewed in 2006, this incredible opportunity was given to Russian River to age a beer in arguably the most significant barrel in the industry. There’s actually a great article about this barrel’s significance that was published to BA, which I’ll link below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/13571/the-rarest-barrel-ph1s-influence-and-inspiration/

Regardless, the provenance on this particular bottle was unmatched, and the age added a beautiful level of complexity that may never be found in any of the remaining bottles of this beer. I’ll forever be thankful for the opportunity to taste this piece of beer history.[​IMG]

6. mvogt

mvogt Initiate (128) Sep 10, 2021 Massachusetts

No pic, but I had a fantastic saison at Austin St/Industrial Way in Portland ME this afternoon. It's called Dichotomie, and it really brings the Belgian. It was a beautiful afternoon for sitting out on the patio, soaking up the sunshine, and enjoying the view of the Hannaford's supermarket parking lot.

SABERG, Amendm, SFACRKnight and 7 others like this.
  7. Davl22

Trader

Wow, it’s amazing they were pouring that! I used to listen to the Sour Hour religiously and know that story well. Incredible experience.

ChicagoJ and WickedBeer like this.
  8. WickedBeer

Society Trader

It was amazing! While Russian River was pouring at the event, this was a privately owned bottle brought by one of the attendees. We opened it with Cory from Side Project and a handful of others. Right place right time!

Harrison8, Davl22, arizcards and 2 others like this.
  9. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (269) Nov 6, 2010 Virgin Islands (British)
    Trader

I'm inspired by all of you to get this going for 2022. Well done @Davl22.

My saison shelf currently sits at zero. Excuses: (1) I've been traveling a ton so far this year and (2) I took the family to Disney/So. California and that shit ain't cheap.

Looking forward to re-stocking. I have to be in Portland, ME for work at the beginning of May. I do believe a re-up at Oxbow might be in order.

10. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,800) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Overlooked this thread until now, thank you for kicking this off @Davl22 !

Going through my cellar, waiting until Spring before opening the Saisons. Enjoyed two this weekend, one was solid, the other was this superb 1 year old gem (released one year to the day).

Keeping Together Preoccupied with Memory and Expectation

[​IMG]

This is the first one from KT I've aged 1 year, and it worked out very well. Been on buying hiatus while working through my (still) significant cellar, but need to head to Half Acre next month to scoop up some of the remaining bottles.

Averie released her last batch earlier this month, and is looking to reestablish her brewing in New Mexico, after losing the HA space she brewed out of their sold Lincoln Ave. location (along with Half Acre's Lee McComb, who also produced great wild ales). Glad SWA flies direct to Albuquerque!

Vitacca, SABERG, bret27 and 10 others like this.
  11. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

Stead Ale by Green Bench, a 4.3% mixed ferm hoppy table beer. I wish these guys still sent bottles to the northeast. They make some of the most well executed farmhouse beers (& lagers) in the country. Their Webb’s City Cellar is a must stop if you’re in the Tampa/St Pete area.

Intense aroma. Classic Belgian/brett character mixed with juicy hops. Floral, overripe tropical fruit, grassy bitterness, dry finish, endlessly drinkable. Give me more.

12. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (954) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Forest and Main ,

Enjoy

Stalks and Leaves - 3.7% Saison Ooooeee! Sub 4% Saisons are just the coolest thing! We brewed this one with malted barley and lots of malted rye all from @DeerCreekMalt. We hopped it with a fun blend of some of our favourite fresh and aged European hops; and steeped some Holy Basil from @OmaHerbalTeas. It was fermented with our 2021 Foraged Yeast Culture under pressure for extra flavors and lots of natural style bubbles. This is a little departure from our usual can conditioned saisons, but we’re pretty into it so far - it still captures natural fermentation flavors and carbonation, but at a different part of the process.

It has notes of fresh green cardamom, dried apple snacks, miscellaneous anise herbs, rainbow peppercorns, earthy rye bread flavors, summertime farmers’ market social hour, some rare chewing gum, and the confidence that only a sub 4% beer can deliver.

I really enjoyed this one. F&M makes some good beers and Saison is one of their better styles.

[​IMG]

Lukass, DrOfGolf, SABERG and 10 others like this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,050) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

No pic, but had a Baere Brewing saison last night. It is their flagship, and is "clean" as in no bacterial influences or Brett. It weighs in at %4.4 abv. It's a great local. @unlikelyspiderperson got me turned onto these guys in my own backyard. It's not over the top phenolic. Some Citrus esters come in as it warms. It's also dry as a bone, something so many American breweries miss the mark on.

SABERG, Amendm, ChicagoJ and 6 others like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,466) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Saison on the cheap(er)!

US craft brewed Saisons (and Belgium brewed too) can be quite pricey so my solution is to homebrew my own.

For the interested student below is a link to an article which discusses the Saison beer style:

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/Saison_Beer

For my batch of Saison I use a combination of two dry yeasts: Fermentis T-58 and Fermentis BE-134 (Saison) in a 3:1 ratio (more T-58 than BE-134). I was tipped off to this combination by a fellow working the Fermentis booth while attending HomebrewCon 2018. Thank you to Napoleon for making this suggestion!

In addition for this batch:

· I used a European hops: German Magnum for bittering and Czech Saaz for flavor and aroma

· Weyermann Pilsner Malt & 1 lb. of table sugar for the fermentables

Served in my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass:

Appearance

Golden yellow colored, slightly hazy with a BIG rocky white head

Aroma

Mostly spicy (phenols) but there is notable fruitiness (esters) as well.

Taste:

The flavor is well balanced between spicy (phenols) and fruity (esters). There is a low – moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel

High – medium carbonation level, a smooth mouthfeel with a very dry finish.

Overall

Very good – excellent.

If anybody is interested in brewing this beer for yourself a recipe is included in the above linked article.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

#14 JackHorzempa, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    dewski312, DrOfGolf, SABERG and 8 others like this.
  15. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,874) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Enjoyed your article, and that beer sure does look the part.

16. ChicagoJ

Society

17. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,066) Jun 7, 2018 Florida
    Society

I would like to salute Saisons with this brewer fresh and on tap Farmhouse.
    Beach House by Naples Beach Brewery.
    The picture is from last month, however I enjoyed another 10-oz. yesterday. I forgot to bring my phone.

That haze you see clears away, not sure if it's chill haze or yeast. The smell is distinctively Belgian; yeasty with faint banana, mild floral hops and fresh bready malt. A slight funk during the taste.

It was 90° inside the semi-open air tap room, check out the sweat on the glass.
    Well suited for hot weather.

Saison on draught and brewery fresh is hard to beat, I hope this place makes a Kolsch this summer. Cheers.

[​IMG]

18. JackHorzempa

Society

Most likely a chill haze situation:

“Affected bottles of beer could be described as having a cloudy, opaque, or hazy appearance with “floaties” or “sediment” present at the bottom. This has been caused by chill haze. The good news? Beer affected by chill haze is fine to drink and will disappear when you decant the beer into a glass or soon thereafter.”

https://www.shortsbrewing.com/foggy-phenomenon-chill-haze/

I suspect that in today’s contemporary craft beer scene where Juicy/Hazy IPAs are “the” beer style to drink that maybe there is less emphasis at craft breweries to be perfect with their products appearance (clarity is not as important?).

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ and Amendm like this.
  19. augustgarage

augustgarage Poo-Bah (2,248) May 20, 2007 California
    Society

I like to hoist a De Dolle Boskeun on Easter, but this year I cracked a bottle from my recent Saint Adairius haul instead.

Landscapes 1 is an oak-aged saison, dry-hopped with Motueka.

Review here...

[​IMG]

Cheers!

DrOfGolf, Amendm, Vitacca and 9 others like this.
  20. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,164) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

A couple of saisons this afternoon:

[​IMG]

Side Project - Single Farm Nelson

Pours a cloudy golden color. Frothy white head forms on the beer before dissipating. Aroma has notes of grapefruit, lemon citrus, white grape, some light grain and a touch of funk.

Taste has notes of citrus, lemon, white grape, sweet green apple, some yeasty funk, a bit of grain, and a moderate tartness. Feel is moderately bodied, smooth, drier finish.

Overall a lovely, world class saison.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25 = 4.36 (rDev +0.7%)

[​IMG]

Side Project - Saison du Blé

Pours a cloudy golden color. Thick, frothy white head forms on the beer before dissipating pretty quickly and completely. Beer remains effervescent throughout. Aroma has notes of lemon, lemon zest, some grain, spicy peppery notes, wet hay and wheat, and some light oaky notes.

Taste follows the nose with notes of lemon zest, lemon, coriander, wheat, white wine, green grape and some oaky, wood notes. Feel is light to medium bodied, moderately carbonated. very dry on the finish.

Overall another world class saison from Side Project.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25 = 4.35 (rDev -1.1%)

21. WickedBeer

Society Trader

Happy Easter, BAs!

[​IMG]

22. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Twins!!

23. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (425) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

as it should be, with real saison!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  24. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (865) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Is that Honeysuckle I see growing in the Background?

Luscious_Malfoy and FBarber like this.
  25. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Maybe? I don't know - lol.

26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,050) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    This beer held up incredibly well. Phenols and booze with a slight oxidized sherry flavor.

27. WickedBeer

Society Trader

Oh wow I didn’t even see this! Beautiful saison, cheers!!

FBarber and ChicagoJ like this.
  28. ChicagoJ

Society

DrOfGolf, Amendm, Vitacca and 8 others like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

Four grains are better than one?

Today’s beer is Tired Hands Ourison – Our Four Grain Saison. But there is moar to this beer than just the aspect of the four grains as mentioned on the can’s front label: “Oak Fermented – Can Conditioned”.

Below is how this beer is detailed:

“Ourison is our Four Grain Saison brewed with rye, oats, and wheat and hopped singularly with Cascade. Conditioned in oak and then allowed to fully express itself via a relatively lengthy can conditioning period. With this batch, we were pleased to find restrained acidity with a really beautiful presentation of our oak foudres through some light tannin, vanilla, and lemon. Those classic barnyard, hay, earth characteristics that we came to know and love are all there. 4.8% ABV.”

Three grains are explicitly mentioned above (rye, oats and wheat) and I presume the fourth grain is barley (i.e., Pilsner Malt).

Also, quite interesting that Tired Hands chose to use Cascade hops to brew this beer.

Served in my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass:

Appearance:

Straw yellow colored with a one finger white head which dissipates quickly.

Aroma:

A combination of fruity, citrusy and some spiciness.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with a combination of fruity, citrus and some spice. There is a hint of vanilla in the background. There is a tiny bit of tartness and there is low bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Light-medium bodied, a spritzy carbonation level and a very dry finish.

Overall:

Very good! The flavors play very well with each other.

I could envision this beer being a very refreshing summertime sipper.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

DrOfGolf, Amendm, SFACRKnight and 7 others like this.
  30. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,187) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Enjoyed some patio weather at CBC trying their collaboration with Oxbow. Happy Saison Day all!
    [​IMG]

DrOfGolf, Amendm, OffTrail and 12 others like this.
  31. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

Enjoying Green Bench Saison De Banc Vert on this beautiful Saison day! Cheers!

DrOfGolf, Amendm, SLeffler27 and 8 others like this.
  32. colby600

Society Trader

The woman in the background wants to know why you're taking a picture of her.

Davl22 likes this.
  33. colby600

Society Trader

34. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,950) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Been drinking on this year's I heart City Life from Full Tilt. Well worth it.

35. WickedBeer

Society Trader

Fermier: Vintage 2021
    Side Project Brewing

This was one beautiful beer. Delicate & soft, yet with a present acidity to add some vibrancy. Lemon zest and grape must on the nose, with a heavy white wine potency on the palate balanced by oak barrel, mild funk and stone fruit. Finishes dry. So good.

For this saison, exclusive processes and bottle conditioning techniques to this beer created a singular experience which showcased exploration of fermentation with Side Project’s native microflora. Such a great limited release expression.

[​IMG]

36. mvogt

mvogt Initiate (128) Sep 10, 2021 Massachusetts

[​IMG]

Nothing fancy but I'm enjoying it :slight_smile: Happy Saison Day!

37. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (865) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Fancy house for a fancy beer. I’m sure you purchased the house just for that shot. :wink:

Joking aside, beautiful beer in a beautiful house. Hope it lived up to the expectation. When I read about the new release, I couldn’t believe how long that beer had waited. That type of curation just…man, I hope someday I eventually get the opportunity to try some of the more limited HF beers. They sound like a work of art (ha ha ha…). Their “shelfies” are amazing the way it is. It’s been several years since I had the opportunity, and hope to again in the future.

Edit: Rather than deleting, just going to admit that I could myself saying something dumb. I just realized that was NOT Art, like I thought I had read. Whoops!

SABERG, AlcahueteJ and ChicagoJ like this.
  38. colby600

Society Trader

No worries, we all misread things occasionally. I appreciate the compliment on the house as I built that room myself. To date, Art has been my favorite Saison while Samuel was a bit of a let down for me. I still have one of each in my fridge though!

39. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,742) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

40. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]
    Wildbloom Beer Chickadee Grisette. New to me brewery and beer, located in Henniker NH. Light, refreshing, bubblegum and vibrant citrus zest. 4.4% abv

#40 Davl22, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    DrOfGolf, Amendm, SLeffler27 and 7 others like this.