Alesong Thread

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by PNW_Whalez, Apr 8, 2016.

1. PNW_Whalez

PNW_Whalez Initiate (36) Feb 15, 2016 Washington
    Beer Trader

Curious if anyone knows much about this new brewery in Eugene...sounds like the release of their first bottles will be in late summer. They mention barrel-aged and farmhouse beers on their website. Any thoughts? I signed up to "reserve" their first allocation just to check them out.

http://www.alesongbrewing.com/purchase#join-us

2. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Disciple (352) Apr 17, 2015 Washington

Hmmm... After the whole Wolves & People debacle, I would wait until I actually see bottles and taste their beer before coughing up any dough.

beertunes likes this.
  3. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (282) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Unlike W&P, Matt Van Wyk actually has the street cred to back him up. While he was brewing at Flossmoor Station they took Small Brewpub of the Year at GABF, and he's responsible for Wooden Hell, one of the original walez in the beer world.

jbakajust1, NWer, yeaprolly and 2 others like this.
  4. jtirpak22

jtirpak22 Aspirant (288) Aug 27, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Signed up for it. There's no obligation, so you can always make a decision in the future.

beertunes likes this.
  5. vurt

vurt Defender (601) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon

I agree. But in this case, Alesong isn't asking for any money up front. They're just asking for info and building an interest list.

beertunes likes this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,513) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

What the hell, I bit on this. I like the fact that they're not crowd-funding. Although, those dudes sitting on the barrels looks a little unsanitary. At least we'll know where the infection came from.;)

NWer, 66jzmstr, Magbas and 4 others like this.
  7. sharpski

sharpski Crusader (796) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Does the current trade value matrix even have a place for Wooden Hell? DJ did a nice little piece on him last fall when he left Oakshire: http://brewpublic.com/beer-news/mat...ewing-to-launch-alesong-brewing-and-blending/.

beertunes likes this.
  8. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (282) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

beertunes likes this.
  9. OakshireMatt

OakshireMatt Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2009 Oregon

Hey folks! Matt Van Wyk here. I just realized I'm still OakshireMatt on BA. I'll look into altering that now that I'm no longer with Oakshire. I did indeed start Alesong Brewing and Blending with my partners Brian Coombs, formerly of Oakshire, and his bro Doug Coombs. You may find him on here as alesongbrian and alesongdoug respectively.
    We don't need any startup funds from our founding members, as were up and brewing. We're working on a wine country brewery and tasting room 16 miles SW of Eugene Oregon. As you know from our friends at W & P, it is really hard to start a country brewery, or any brewery for that matter. Look for that late 2016 or early 2017. In the meantime we plan to do our first release late August at our warehouse in west Eugene. Take a look at www.alesongbrewing.com for more info. I'll be happy to jump on here and answer questions. Right now I'm frantically typing from a plane about ready to close the doors!
    Oh, don't forget to sign up for our mailer. That will put you on a list to guarantee bottles from us (of your choice) and not have to fight. Make friends with Oregonians, were still working thru any shipping legalities. And sitting on barrels is sanitary :) the bung was in! Cheers!

10. beertunes

Beer Trader

Whew! Although, I may shudder at where else that bung has been.

Sorry.:oops:

Looks like I'll have to start cultivating a Eugene area mule. Good luck you guys!

woemad, jbakajust1 and jtirpak22 like this.
  11. jtirpak22

jtirpak22 Aspirant (288) Aug 27, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Or just hop on a Bolt Bus whenever necessary.

beertunes likes this.
  12. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (583) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Good Luck! Is there anyway you can take pity on the coast and send beer out here?

13. beertunes

Beer Trader

I do love the Bolt bus, and I've never been to Eugene recreationally.

Strangestbrewer and jtirpak22 like this.
  14. AlesongMatt

AlesongMatt Initiate (6) Apr 12, 2016 Oregon

Whelp, it doesn't look like changing your profile name is allowed, so I'm 'new' member AlesongMatt. Hi.
    A couple of other pieces of info that I didn't mention yesterday. 1) while we will produce 'mostly' bottled beers, this summer (starting May 31 at the Bier Stein) we will have some non barrel aged draft beers around the NW as our barrel aged stuff slumbers. Current plans involve: Saison with black tea, Kettle soured Witbier primary fermented in oak barrels and a fruited gose. Other spontaneous experiments are happening too. 2) Seattle folks-we're going to make a run to Sierra's Beer Camp Across America in June. Look for us there and maybe one other event in town. 3) We are NOT JUST a sour beer brewery. We are NOT JUST a barrel aged brewery, but we are celebrating the art of barreling and blending and as such will be playing with a lot of mixed culture fermentations, farmhouse inspired beers, fruit additions, and bottle conditioning. Look for our lineup to be constantly on the move as we continually explore all that wood can offer to beer. As you can imagine, our little critters need time, so we'll continue to evolve and grow our program through the next several years 4) I have no desire to take over the world with a big industrial brewery. Stay our friends and join our little family and we'll make enough for you (I hope :) )

As long as you are nice I promise to participate here more than I did at my last home. Cheers to Beers!
    Matt

15. beertunes

Beer Trader

Calm down there Bossypants!

Seriously though, wishing you the best, and I'm looking forward to trying your stuff.

16. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,048) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

Way to suck all the fun out of it Matt... ;)

beertunes likes this.
  17. vurt

vurt Defender (601) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon

Cheers to beers, @AlesongMatt . I'm looking forward to trying your new creations.

beertunes and TaborTime like this.
  18. AlesongMatt

Alright! Alright! Fire the torpedoes. I've got thick skin by this time in the game :)

jtirpak22, beertunes and sharpski like this.
  19. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,372) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm assuming you meant thick skin, rather than thin... hence the editing change I just made in your post. :)

20. jbakajust1

Subscriber

Nope, he meant thin, very thin skin, that guy can't take shit from anyone John... @AlesongMatt is very sensitive. BTW Matt, swung by CF after-work and caught a wiff of one of your concoctions cooking away... I may or may not have taken a leak in it whilst Dan's back was turned:rolleyes:o_O:oops::eek::D:p:cool:;)

beertunes likes this.
  21. AlesongMatt

It's thick, and you Mr. @jbakajust1 , you are not allowed in my barrelhouse!! I've got my eye on you!

#21 AlesongMatt, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
    VictorsValiant and jbakajust1 like this.
  22. jbakajust1

Subscriber

What, you afraid I might funk it up?:cool:

AlesongMatt likes this.
  23. AlesongMatt

Yes! Only our funk is allowed. ;)

24. dphi

dphi Initiate (150) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Not a lot of action in this thread anymore despite beers hitting taps and the inaugural bottle release.

Any feedback on their beers so far? Thoughts on bottle pricing ($15/500ml for all but the gose which is $10/750ml)?

25. TaborTime

TaborTime Disciple (395) Dec 10, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Strawberry Gose is excellent.

darinbrill and Phobicsquirrel like this.
  26. drone

drone Disciple (324) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Looks like some bottles from their first release are hitting up in Seattle. Ended up grabbing a bottle of Tangled Up In Blueberry at The Hop and Hound, but they also had Touch of Brett and Hop Farm bottles available, one case of each. Anyone had these?

27. LockeNess33

LockeNess33 Initiate (162) Feb 2, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed Tangled Up In Blueberry a lot. Probably my favorite that I've had from them out of the bottle.

On another note, it sounds like they are going to be releasing their second batch of bottles in November (11/19). I don't think they've released details about which beers will be available, but is anyone else hoping that the Bourbon Prelude is among them?

Also, big congrats to the folks at Alesong for their gold in the "brett beer" category at GABF this year for Touch of Brett. Impressive accomplishment for being so early in the game for them.

Jbagel1, sharpski, vurt and 2 others like this.
  28. dphi

dphi Initiate (150) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

The blackberry gose was very good, will have to pick up a bottle of Touch of Brett.

29. Jbagel1

Jbagel1 Initiate (193) May 25, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Alesong was out at MCCBF. They had the harvest ale on tap and a saison . They also had a few bottles of the shake your tree. After having the shake your tree I am for sure going to get 3 bottles during the release.

30. heyhiggi

heyhiggi Initiate (136) Sep 6, 2014 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Thanks for reminding me to order almost forgot

31. Jbagel1

Jbagel1 Initiate (193) May 25, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Who's going to the release party on the 19th? Ive got my order placed and got a few friends to go.

LockeNess33 likes this.
  32. sharpski

Beer Trader

Have been rather impressed by Touch of Brett and Hop Farm, but I hate how easily my mind looks at those bottles and thinks they're 750ml instead of 500ml. $15 for a pint+ is tough to swallow, even if the beer isn't.

jbakajust1 and beertunes like this.
  33. LockeNess33

LockeNess33 Initiate (162) Feb 2, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I was thinking about this too, and was curious what others thoughts were on their pricing. What brewery would you compare their beers to for price comparison purposes? After thinking about it a bit, I came to the conclusion that their prices are fairly reasonable (maybe on the high side of things) for the type of beers they're brewing. Maybe it helps that they didn't ask for a bunch of money up front from customers before they ever brewed anything just for the opportunity to buy their beers when they did eventually brew something.

34. jbakajust1

Subscriber

I agree, but I think pretty much all "specialty beer" is drastically overpriced in the craft market right now, not just certain ones in particular (@deGardebrewing excluded from that list as they are very reasonable for what they brew). That being said, Oakshire charges $20 for 750ml bottles of their wild ales which is the same cost per ml of liquid as $15 for 500ml.

sharpski and LockeNess33 like this.
  35. sharpski

Beer Trader

I don't begrudge Matt or any Brewer for testing what the market will bear for specialty beers; he deserves a fair price for his skills and the time and materials it takes to produce these beers. But I'm on a quest to find an Orval analogue, and the goal was a domestic product for less than Orval.

beertunes and vurt like this.
  36. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Disciple (343) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

I have somewhat mixed feelings about bumping this thread, because Alesong's beers have remained relatively accessible in my own personal (and increasingly voracious) market. But, sometimes, one just feels obligated to give a public shout-out when credit is due.

I've only had a handful of their beers, but I'll be damned if they haven't all been outstanding. These guys know how to brew, and they definitely know how to blend. Color me very impressed. (And then forget I ever said that. Or any of this. Please...)

37. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (944) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm going down to Eugene next weekend for a family funeral but will probably have a little time for beer. Do we get all the Alesong releases in Seattle or should I look for anything Eugene-specific?

38. sharpski

Beer Trader

Not sure what Seattle sees, AFAIK Bend only saw Here Comes the Sun and Cherry Parliament from this list. Maybe @AlesongMatt can give us the scoop on Eugene availability?

39. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Initiate (148) Jun 20, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

I saw (and purchased) bottles of Maestro and Mocha Rhino, and had Meastro, Mocha, Cherry Parliament, & Here Comes the Sun on draft in Seattle last week. Great stuff!

LockeNess33 likes this.
  40. Rip_City

Rip_City Initiate (118) Jul 16, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Where did you find Mocha Rhino? Haven't seen any bottles of Rhino Suit for a couple months, and haven't run into Mocha at all, down here in Portland.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe