Averagely Perfect American Kölsch - Poll #4 - Base Malt(s)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Apr 23, 2020.

?

Select one or more Base Malts

Poll closed Apr 25, 2020.
  1. German Pilsner Malt

87.1%
  2. German Pale Ale Malt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bohemian Pilsner Malt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt

9.7%
  5. Cologne (Kölsch) Malt

29.0%
  6. Belgian Pilsner Malt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Belgian Pale Ale Malt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. North American 2-Row Brewers Malt

3.2%
  9. North American Pilsner Malt

3.2%
  10. Other (write it in)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,957) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

-> Poll #3 <- determined that Generic Two Row and/or Pale Ale Malt and/or Pilsner are IN. Wheat Malt is possibly in. Munich and/or Vienna Malt(s) are possibly in. Dextrin Malt (Cara-Foam, -Pils, -Hell) is possibly in.

This poll (#4) will determine the base malt(s) (Generic Two Row and/or Pale Ale Malt and/or Pilsner).

This is a straight plurality poll, unless more than one choice gets votes from more than 50% of respondents, in which case all choices with votes from more than 50% of respondents are IN. Otherwise, winner take all. Consider jumping ship to a similar choice if your first choice is losing. etc. You can select more than one choice. Want something that's not listed? Write it in.

I recommend you think about this in terms of not only your personal preferences, but also in the context of the ABV and Final Gravity (and thus the attenuation) already selected, as well as any possible yeast strain selection that might be kicking around in your head. Also, I recommend thinking about this in terms of the other fermentable "possibles" and what you think is likely to get in (or what you want to get in).

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via PM. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently.

This poll will be open for 48 hours. Pollster reserves the right to cast tie-breaking votes.

The Averagely Perfect Kölsch Recipe so far...

Target ABV: 4.8%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.008
    Generic Two Row and/or Pale Ale Malt and/or Pilsner: IN.

Wheat Malt: possibly in
    Munich and/or Vienna Malt(s): possibly in
    Dextrin Malt (Cara-Foam, -Pils, -Hell): possibly in

2. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

I went with the Floor Malted Bohemian Pils but am fine with any European Pils malt really.

3. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I have never used the Kolsch malt. Can someone describe it? What I remember from a previous description is that a 100% grist would lead to a beer that is darker than you might expect from Koslch. I assume that in addition to the winner on plurality, runners up might be considered for a blend if they were close.

4. VikeMan

Society

Emphasis added.

5. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,369) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

50% Pils 35% Koelsch 15% wheat FTW!

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,883) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I used it once to brew a Kolsch (I purchased it from Northern Brewer) but I used in along with German Pilsner malt since it is a darker malt (4.5 °L according to my notes). I used a proportion of 2/3rd Kolsch Malt and 1/3rd German Pilsner Malt.

I liked the malt flavor of this batch. I perceived a bit of a hay-like flavor (which I enjoyed) which must have come from the Kolsch Malt since I never got this from my all Pilsner Malt beers before. The beer was darker in color which was a not too big deal but I personally prefer my Kolsch beers to be more like straw yellow in color. Because of this color ‘issue’ I have never brewed with Kolsch Malt since.

Perhaps the color difference may not be an ‘issue’ with you?

Cheers!

Yalc, pweis909 and scottakelly like this.
  7. pweis909

Society

I'm intrigued by the Kolsch malt, and no, @JackHorzempa, I don't usually let nuance of color bother me much. My hesitation with the Kolsch malt is that Vienna or Munich and/or wheat could also be "in" and I think the opportunity to learn about Kolsch malt would get overly diluted. I remain unsure that "hay-like flavor" is what I would want.

Jack, do you recall who the maltster was for the Kolsch malt? I do not see it at Northern Brewer or MoreBeer. Great Fermentations lists a Weyermann Cologne malt, by the sack, and has no description. Does anyone have a good source?

Edit: Here- https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Kolsch-Malt--lb_p_1124.html

8. JackHorzempa

Society

I just recall that it was a local to Cologne malt so likely this one? It was advertised as being a malt used by some Kolsch breweries of Cologne.

As regards "I remain unsure that "hay-like flavor" is what I would want" there is really only one way for you to know for sure is to brew a beer using it. Use 100% Kolsch malt if "I don't usually let nuance of color bother me much" is the case.

Cheers!

#8 JackHorzempa, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    pweis909 likes this.
  9. pweis909

Society

10. JackHorzempa

Society

Just to double check - you heard of this before but never used it?

I just double-checked my notes and the Kolsch I brewed using a combo of Kolsch/Pils malt was in 2013. All I wrote down for the Kolsch Malt was the color (4.5 degrees L) and amount/proportion. Maybe at the time I was unaware of Schill?

Cheers!

11. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Weyermann Cologne malt which sounds very close at a new place I have been ordering from:
    https://www.fermentednj.com/shopfermented/Weyermann-Brewing-Malt-Type-Cologne-1-lb-p99809251

12. pweis909

Society

Correct. I think when I first heard of Kolsch malt, it may have been this maltster. I never got around to trying it myself, and I completely forgot about it until this poll.

13. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (69) May 18, 2017 England

AFAICT Kolsch Malt isn't available in the UK, so that'd be a nope from me...

dmtaylor likes this.
  14. VikeMan

Society

German Pilsner Malt it is.

15. VikeMan

Society

I just realized the title of this poll says "American" Kölsch. :grimacing:

16. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

Freudian slip?