American Ales Averagely Perfect American Stout - Whole Leaf Hop Version - AG

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by VikeMan, Dec 27, 2014.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,958) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Averagely Perfect American Stout - Whole Leaf Hop Version
    American Stout
    All Grain (with Partial Mash option)
    Batch Size: 5 Gallons into fermenter (5.24 gallons including trub prior to xfer to fermenter)
    OG: 1.068
    FG: 1.018
    ABV: 6.5%
    54 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Mash Efficiency: 70%

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt – 9.05 lbs
    Munich Malt – 2.16 lbs
    Crystal 80 – 0.72 lbs
    Roasted Barley - 0.72 lbs
    Chocolate Malt – 0.72 lbs
    Toasted Oatmeal – 1.00 lbs

Hop Schedule:
    60 Minutes

--Chinook, 14% AA, 1.05 oz
    10 Minutes
    --Willamette, 7.5 AA, 1.25 oz
    Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand
    --Willamette, 1.0 oz
    --Chinook, 0.75 oz

Yeast: Wyeast 1084/WLP004

Process:
    - Recommended Mash Temp: 154F
    - Ferment at 65F
    - This version of the recipe assumes whole leaf hops, with a wort absorption of 0.0625 gallons of wort per ounce of hops. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.
    - I used my own boil off rate (in conjunction with hop wort absorption) to determine a starting wort volume, which impacts hop utilization. YMMV. Adjust as necessary. Use your software.
    - Anything you change that relates to absorption will change the total fermentables you need to get out of your mash. So you may need to adjust the grain bill up/down.
    - If your hops have different Alpha Acid percentages, adjust as necessary.
    - This recipe assumes 70% Mash Efficiency, a little higher than BYO recipes (for example) assume, but probably closer to the average efficiency on this forum based on what I've seen over the years. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.

Other Notes: Partial Mash Option
    Replace 8.05 lbs of the Two Row Brewer's Malt with 4.61 lbs of Extra Light Dry Malt Extract. Mini-Mash the remaining one pound of Two-Row together with the other grains. Add the DME at beginning of the boil.

2. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (746) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

3. robc2277

robc2277 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2015 New York

How long did you keep it in the primary and secondary? looking to brew a 1 gallon experimental batch by adding dry hop in the secondary.

4. VikeMan

Society

This beer doesn't need a secondary. I strongly suspect that most of the people who brewed it didn't use one.

5. robc2277

robc2277 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2015 New York

how long in the primary?

6. VikeMan

Society

Until it's done. Sorry, but calendars don't make beer. Yeast do, and they can't read recipes. I will never recommend to someone that they ferment for "X" days and then package. With good yeast health, appropriate pitch rate, good temperature control, oxygenation and nutrients, it ought to be ready to package after several days. But YMMV.

7. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (210) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Any comment on water chemistry for this recipe?
    Thanks