Belgian/French Ales Averagely Perfect Dubbel - AG (w/extract + steeped grains option)

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by VikeMan, Jun 8, 2018.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,958) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Averagely Perfect Dubbel
    Belgian Dubbel
    All Grain (with extract + steeped grains option)
    Batch Size: 5 Gallons into fermenter (5.04 gallons including trub prior to xfer to fermenter)
    OG: 1.065
    FG: 1.012
    ABV: 7.0%
    IBUs: 24 (Tinseth)

Mash Efficiency: 70%

Grain Bill:
    10.72 lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt
    0.50 lbs Caramunich
    0.25 lbs Special B
    1.00 lbs D-90 Syrup (added at flameout)

Hop Schedule (Pellet Hops):
    60 Minutes

--1.13 ounces Styrian Goldings (5% AA)
    10 Minutes
    --0.5 ounces Styrian Goldings (5% AA)

Yeast: Wyeast 3787 or WLP530

Water Profile (overall):
    Ca: 68 ppm
    Cl: 90 ppm
    SO4: 41 ppm

Process:
    - Recommended Mash: Single Infusion @ 152F, 60 Minutes
    - 60 Minute Boil (recommended)
    - Fermentation: Pitch at 66F, ramping up naturally or via temperature control to 73F over 2-3 days
    - Carbonate to 2.9 volumes CO2
    - This recipe assumes pellet hops, with a 10% bonus utilization due to pellet form, and a wort absorption of 0.025 gallons of wort per ounce of hops. The Standard Tinseth formula assumes leaf hops (without the 10% bonus utilization). If you will use pellets, but don't believe in the pellet bonus (or believe in a different bonus), adjust. If you will use leaf hops, adjust (for both utilization and for greater wort absorption). YMMV.
    - I used my own boil off rate (in conjunction with hop wort absorption) to determine my starting wort volume, which impacts hop utilization. YMMV. Adjust as necessary. Use your software.
    - Anything you change that relates to absorption or other wort losses will change the total fermentables you need to get out of your mash. So you may need to adjust the grain bill up/down.
    - If your hops have different Alpha Acid percentages, adjust as necessary.
    - This recipe assumes 70% Mash Efficiency, a little higher than BYO recipes (for example) assume, but probably closer to the average efficiency on this forum based on what I've seen over the years. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.

Other Notes: Extract plus Steeped Grains Option
    Replace the Pilsner Malt with 6.46 lbs of Pilsen Light DME. Steep the crushed Crystal Malts in about 3 quarts of water at about 160F for at least 30 minutes. Add the rest of your water, bring nearly to a boil, stir in the DME, bring to a boil, and proceed.

#1 VikeMan, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  2. calir1

calir1 Aspirant (224) Nov 7, 2004 Maryland
    Trader

So I mostly followed this recipe and after 2 weeks she is looking great.

Basically the same grain bill.
    The hops I had to add tettnager at the 60 minute mainly because the styrian Golding that came from northern brewer were way low on the AA. I think NB said a 5% average and they came at 2.6% aa.

I wAs going to do two five gallon batches. One batch with 1214 and one with 3787.

My old lady bought me the 14 gallon SS brewtech chronical so I did one big batch and dumped both of those yeast in. So it’s kinda a mix. OG started at 1.063 and now sits at 1.010. I ramped it up to 72-73*.

She smells great and tastes wonderful. I’m going to keg half and bottle the other half.

Great recipe. Hope she turns out well
    Thanks for the great average perfect post

#2 calir1, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Eggman20, frozyn and VikeMan like this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,958) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

4. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (161) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Brewed this yesterday to use up some Ardennes that was slowly going bad in the fridge. Other substitutions: Mecca Grade Pelton in place of the Belgian pils malt, and Magnum and Styrian Celeia instead of Styrian Goldings, because it was what I had on hand.

Went well, hit my OG without issues. Thanks for all the work on the recipe @VikeMan and others.

VikeMan likes this.
  5. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (161) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Ended up getting better than expected attenuation: 1.064 -> 1.009 in four days. So I started crashing it early to avoid it drying out too much. Tastes great, though.