Averagely Perfect Dubbel - Poll #25 - IBUs

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, May 10, 2018.

?

What should the IBU target be?

Poll closed May 12, 2018.
  1. 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 19

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 20

30.4%
  6. 21

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 22

17.4%
  8. 23

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 25

52.2%
  10. Other. Write it in.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

-> Poll #24 <- determined the that hops will be added at 60 minutes and 10 minutes. This poll will determine the IBU target. Note: The bittering model will be Tinseth.

I recommend you think about the IBU levels in terms of the bitterness of outstanding Dubbels you may have tasted. If you haven't had any, I recommend paying attention to the discussion. If you want less than 15 IBUs or more than 25, write it in.

When this poll is done, I will look at the data a few different ways to determine the central tendency. It may or may not be as simple as a plurality would indicate. There may or may not be a runoff. It all depends on the data.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via beermail. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently. Lobbying for votes and intelligent discussion of each choice's relative merits is encouraged.

The Averagely Perfect Dubbel Recipe so far...

Target ABV: 7.0%
    OG: 1.065
    FG: 1.012
    Yeast: Wyeast 3787 or WLP530
    Mash (recommended): 60 Minutes @ 152F
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%

Grains/Fermentables:
    ---Belgian Pilsner Malt (86%)
    ---D-90 Syrup (8%)
    ---Caramunich (4% Total)
    ---Special B (2%)

Hops:
    60 minutes: Styrian Goldings (qty TBD)
    10 minutes: Styrian Goldings (qty TBD)

2. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (111) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Personally I like stronger beers to have more IBUs. Maybe that's just me.

pweis909 likes this.
  3. crcostel

crcostel Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2006 Illinois

Most of the good commercial ones I know of (New Belgian, Ommegang, Chimay) come in around 20.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Here's the thing: if you go with a higher IBU, and you subsequently decide it was too bitter, that can fade with time. In contrast, no amount of time is going to make your beer seem more hoppy. Therefore, if you are uncertain, err on the high side.

wspscott, MrOH and dmtaylor like this.
  5. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (223) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

This. And, take a look at BU:GU. I've gotten great scores with dubbels with a BU:GU ratio of 0.39. For this beer, that's >25 IBUs. So I voted 25.

wspscott likes this.
  6. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

The three votes for 22 IBUs might want to switch to 20 or 25.

7. crcostel

crcostel Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2006 Illinois

Or not - this is so Binary that 23 might be a good compromise

8. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2009 New York

I would say, there is a little ambiguity about when strategic voting makes sense. It always makes sense in the "straight plurality" polls, but in cases like this, VikeMan has set out a harder task for himself by retaining the option to hold a runoff or whatever. I suspect (though I don't know) that he would prefer for people to vote their honest preferences rather than voting strategically, because it will help him make a more informed decision. Of course, you can still vote strategically, and it might even be rational to do so—maybe you care more about the outcome than you do about making his job easier. But in general I would vote my honest preference in a poll like this. (Whereas I would definitely vote strategically in a straight-plurality poll.)

In point of fact I'm sitting this one out because I don't have a strong opinion and I prefer to free-ride on more informed opinions.

9. VikeMan

Society

Okay...
    Mean: 23
    Median: 24
    Mode: 25

With such a tight range of votes (5 IBUs), I believe a runoff of any kind would be of little value. Calling this for one the value that is the average (mean and median) of the averages: 24 IBUs

crcostel likes this.
  10. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,927) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Most people cannot differentiate increments of 5 IBUs anyway, so although there is something to it in the end, essentially 22 is the 'same' as 24, and 24 is the 'same' as 26.

pweis909 likes this.
  11. VikeMan

Society

Since this poll is over, I guess I can comment without breaking my rule about unduly influencing results.

I agree that 5 IBU differences can be hard to detect. But I also firmly believe that the difference between 20 and 25 is easier to detect than, say, the difference between 60 and 65.

12. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,927) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I totally agree on that as well, the higher you go the muddier the waters get shall we say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.