Averagely Perfect Saison - Mash Approach Sidebar

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

While this poll is going on, another non-poll discussion...

I'd like to hear thoughts (particularly from Brett veterans) about what kind of poll options you'd want to see included from a mash approach perspective. Single infusion? Step? Decoction? Cereal mash for flaked oats?

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

My inclination is single infusion. Don't necessarily have the Brett chops to suggest my druthers should be heavily weighted.

Did we vote on flaked oats? I thought the grist was flaked wheat, Vienna, and Belgian Pils. In any event, my use of cereal mash has only been with corn grits, wheat berries, spelt berries, and wild rice. Flaked stuff shouldn't really need it.

3. VikeMan

Society

No, you're right. It's flaked wheat.

4. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (484) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Now you're starting to scare us . . . :wink:

Limited Brett experience but do mess around with flaked wheat. According to Palmer no protein rest is required when unmodified malts are < 25% which technically applies here. But even at 17% I feel a protein rest would both reduce haze and make better head stability, both desirable attributes for this style. Palmer says a temp anywhere between 113 -131 will suffice. BYO recommends a higher end temp of 131- 137 to target the production of medium chain proteins.

I feel the recipe would benefit from a protein rest (130'ish) but expect most people will vote against/ignore. There are equipment limitations and heaven knows we have plenty of "higher degree of difficulty" steps involved. Maybe have an either/or mash schedule (multiple step or single infusion). I tend to favor a mash-out, but know I'm on an island on this one.

For @jbakajust1, you were a proponent of FW and have lots of Brett'ers running around in your Brewhouse . . . what say ye?

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  5. Naugled

Naugled Defender (640) Sep 25, 2007 New York

I think a choice between single infusion and a single step (protein rest) would be appropriate and within the means of everyone. I would stay away from a decoction like the plague. It would be interesting to see how many people would vote for a decoction mash, but that could be dangerous as well, if it wins.
    Personally I'd prefer a protein rest for this recipe, but I'd skip the mash out.

jbakajust1 and PortLargo like this.
  6. VikeMan

Society

If decoction was included and won (i.e. if people thought there was good reason to do it), I guess folks would be free to not do it if they choose. Personally, I don't think decoction is all that hard. Of course, nobody has actually recommended it yet.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  7. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I am personally a single infusion man. Protein rest might be beneficial for the head, although with a healthy pitch of yeast and good hopping this shouldn't be an issue. Haze is acceptable in this style of beer. Were we using other "Brett" strains in this beer and a different Sacc that was 4VG positive a lower protein rest that also falls in acid rest (113) would be good, but Dupont doesn't throw 4VG, and "Brett" Trois doesn't really get funky anyways.

8. pweis909

Society

Regardless of how we vote, we need to recognize that there will be equipment limitations for some of us. I don't think we should let that prevent a vote. I just don't want people to feel excluded. Perhaps the results of a vote could be worded as a recommendation with acceptable alternatives. Of course, it is homebrew and people as always welcome to follow their own paths.

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,819) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Laziness has prevailed before, single rest for the win!

10. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Initiate (0) May 9, 2004 Missouri

Personally, I see no need for a protein rest unless you're using undermidified pils malt as your base. Otherwise single infusion is just fine. You might get lots of arguments regarding the proper rest temp, but I'd be surprised to see a lot of support for multi-step.

And anyone who does a ceral mash for flaked grains is the kind who will replace quarter panels on their car rather than washing it. :-)

pweis909 likes this.
  11. pweis909

Society

I've owned cars where dirt was the only thing keeping the quarter panels from falling off.

jokelahoma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.