Averagely Perfect Saison - Poll #11 - Main Base Malt(s)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jan 19, 2015.

?

Select one or more main Base Malts

Poll closed Jan 21, 2015.
  1. Belgian Pilsner

63.6%
  2. German Pilsner

16.4%
  3. Bohemian Pilsner

3.6%
  4. Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner

1.8%
  5. North American Pilsner

16.4%
  6. North American 2-Row Brewers Malt

14.5%
  7. North American Pale Ale Malt

3.6%
  8. British Pale Ale Malt

1.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

The previous poll (#10) determined that Pilsner Malt, 2-Row Brewer's Malt and/or Pale Ale Malt are IN. Unmalted Wheat and/or Rye are potentially in. Rye Malt and/or Wheat Malt are potentially in. Unmalted Oats are potentially in. Munich and/or Vienna malt are potentially in.

This poll (#11) will determine the main base malt(s) (Pilsner Malt, 2-Row Brewer's Malt and/or Pale Ale Malt).

This is a straight plurality poll, unless by some miracle more than one choice gets votes from more than 50% of respondents, in which case all choices with votes from more than 50% of respondents are IN. Otherwise, winner take all. Consider jumping ship to a similar choice if your first choice is losing. etc.
    You can select more than one choice. Want something that's not listed? Write it in.

I recommend you think about this in terms of not only your personal preferences, but also in the context of the ABV, Final Gravity, and Yeast Strains already selected.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, see these threads for the first two beers we did (and the bazillion ensuing polls and the final recipes...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/averagely-perfect-american-stout-poll-1-abv.131209/ )

Issues with methodology? Take 'em to beermail please.

The Averagely Perfect Saison so far...

ABV: 5.7%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.002

Grain Bill:
    Pilsner Malt, 2-Row Brewer's Malt and/or Pale Ale Malt (TBD, this poll)
    Unmalted Wheat and/or Rye (potentially in, later polls)
    Rye Malt and/or Wheat Malt (potentially in, later polls)
    Unmalted Oats (potentially in, later poll)
    Munich and/or Vienna malt (potentially in, later polls)

Yeast:
    WLP565/Wyeast 3724, followed by WLP644 in primary, sometime before attenuation is complete (exact timing TBD).

2. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

I went with German Pils because I have a 55# sack waiting to be used.

I hate to break it to you all, but I am going to be out of internet range for the next week (going to the Smokies for a week of backpacking). Try not to miss me and don't make any bad decisions with the next couple of votes :slight_smile:

jbakajust1, sjverla and OddNotion like this.
  3. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Any of the euros for me

4. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Enjoy!

5. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

Belgian Pils for a Belgian beer.

SFACRKnight and PortLargo like this.
  6. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (585) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

German Pils, and Continental Pils will work though as long as its accessible at my LHBS.

7. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

I voted Belgian Pils because Belgian. I also voted German Pils because that is what I currently have on hand. Can't see that it would make much difference either way.

bushycook likes this.
  8. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Not a huge difference between Belgian and German IMHO, German is cheaper and easier to get (for me at least). Voted for German.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,931) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A word of warning for those who choose Castle (Belgian malting company) Pilsner malt. Castle Pilsner will have a lower mash efficiency than other Pilsner malts. This was mentioned by Stan Hieronymus during his presentation of Brew like a Monk at the 2014 NHC. I personally experienced this lower mash efficiency in a Belgian Wit I brewed in the spring of 2014. Castle Pilsner is an excellent malt, you just need to use a bit more of it to achieve your target OG vs. other Pilsner malts.

Cheers!

jbakajust1 likes this.
  10. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

Interesting. I've used Dingemans Belgian Pils malt; it seems to behave about the same as Weyermann Pils. Cheers!

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,931) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yes, Stan was very precise in his talk that this was a Castle Malting 'issue'.

Cheers!

pweis909 likes this.
  12. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Belgian. I don't have lots of Brett experience, but my best two have involved Belgian pils. I think I always get Dingeman's, but am not sure, nevertheless, interest tidbit @JackHorzempa

13. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

I often use Castle Belgian Pilsner for Saisons. It has a white grape aroma and flavor that differentiates it from German and American Pilsner. Haven't tried Dingemans.

14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I voted 'Merican...

Well, because I have a sack of Rahr 2 Row and Pils.. that why!

psnydez86 and jbakajust1 like this.
  15. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (367) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Is there really much of a difference between Belgian, German, and US pils malt? Just curious.

16. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Yes.

Castle Belgian pils = white grape flavor and nag champa incense aroma
    Weyerman German pils = crisp and bready for lack of a better term. Think German lager.
    Breiss American pils = very subdued version of Castle pils.

17. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I love me some Bohemian Floor malted Pils... but I don't have any.

18. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I feel like I can tell the difference between dingeman's and weyemann's pils. I've used rahr pils in a few Belgians and caps, and it is not as flavorful.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  19. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Looks like Belgian Pilsner.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.