Averagely Perfect Saison - Poll #12 - Unmalted Wheat and/or Rye

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jan 21, 2015.

?

Which combo of Unmalted Wheat and/or Unmalted Rye should advance for further consideration?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2015.
  1. Flaked Wheat

54.2%
  2. Torrified Wheat

2.1%
  3. Unprocessed Unmalted Wheat

2.1%
  4. Flaked Rye

16.7%
  5. Flaked Wheat and Flaked Rye

18.8%
  6. Torrified Wheat and Flaked Rye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Unprocessed Unmalted Wheat and Flaked Rye

6.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

The previous poll (#11) determined that the main base malt will be Belgian Pilsner Malt.

This poll (#12) will determine whether Unmalted Wheat or Unmalted Rye, or both, will advance to compete with/against winners of subsequent polls (Rye Malt and/or Wheat Malt, and Munich and/or Vienna Malt). (See poll #10 for a refresher.) This poll is before those others because Unmalted Wheat and/or Rye got more votes than those.

This is a straight plurality poll. Consider jumping ship to your second choice if your first choice is losing.

I recommend you think about this in terms of not only your personal preferences, but also in the context of the ABV, Final Gravity, Yeast Strains, and Base Malt already selected.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, see these threads for the first two beers we did (and the bazillion ensuing polls and the final recipes...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/averagely-perfect-american-stout-poll-1-abv.131209/ )

Issues with methodology? Take 'em to beermail please.

The Averagely Perfect Saison so far...

ABV: 5.7%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.002

Grain Bill:
    Belgian Pilsner Malt
    Unmalted Wheat and/or Rye (potentially in, this poll and later polls)
    Rye Malt and/or Wheat Malt (potentially in, later polls)
    Unmalted Oats (potentially in, later poll)
    Munich and/or Vienna malt (potentially in, later polls)

Yeast: WLP565/Wyeast 3724, followed by WLP644 in primary, sometime before attenuation is complete (exact timing TBD).

2. VikeMan

Society

Also, just to be clear... If a combo of two ingredients wins this poll, those ingredients go forward together, inseparably in future polls.

3. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (484) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Do I have this right: we are voting strictly on a potential combination of unmalted wheat or unmalted rye . . . this poll doesn't put either in the recipe? So if a voter did not want either, they should still vote on the preferred mix in case it does make the cut? Or am I lost in Left Field (wheat or rye)?

4. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

@PortLargo - I think yes. The vote has already decided that they are in.

5. VikeMan

Society

No, you got it.

It was decided in a previous poll that Unmalted Wheat and/or Unmalted Rye would advance to compete. Neither is necessarily in the recipe. That's still TBD. This poll is simply determining what wheat/rye adjunct(s) will advance. If you want neither, there will be a chance to say that later. See the explanation above and in poll #10.

This is all intended to get from the original list of malts/adjuncts to the end in a reasonable (subjective I know) number of polls, while allowing the most popular malts to advance, but also to compete with each other in some sort of context. i.e. to not simply take the 3 or 4 most popular grains and jam them in the recipe together.

Think of the first basic grains poll as a signature petition for candidacy. The series of polls we're doing now (staring with this one) are the primaries. The strongest (primary winners) will then be considered in context, with and against each other, in the final election. Not the strongest analogy, because the final election may have more than one winner, but that's the gist.

PortLargo likes this.
  6. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

Don't you mean "but that's the grist?" :rolling_eyes:

7. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

[​IMG]

//I thought of that too.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Wheaties - breakfast of champions!

jbakajust1 likes this.
  9. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (563) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Looks like rye is losing badly. It seems to me that the spiciness of rye is much more appropriate to saison than the barely-different-from-barley flavor of wheat.

MrOH likes this.
  10. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Definitely a personal preference, I like wheat for the exact same reason, it adds body without stepping on the delicate flavors of pilsner malt.

11. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,378) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Maybe everyone is waiting for rye malt??

skivtjerry and OddNotion like this.
  12. VikeMan

Society

Flaked Wheat advances to the general election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.