Averagely Perfect Saison - Poll #32 - Bittering Hop Philosophy

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Feb 28, 2015.

?

What should the Bittering Hop Philosophy be?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2015.
  1. Use one or both of the Flavor/Aroma Hops (Saaz, Hallertau) for bittering

69.7%
  2. Use a High Alpha Acid, Low Cohumulone Hop

6.1%
  3. Don't restict to Low Cohumulone and don't restrict to the Flavor/Aroma Hops for bittering

24.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

The previous poll (#31) determined that Saaz and Hallertau will be the only flavor/aroma hops.

This poll (#32) will determine if the bittering hops should be one or both of the varieties selected for flavor/aroma (Saaz, Hallertau), or if they should be a high Alpha Acid, Low Cohumulone variety, or if neither restriction should apply. This is a philosophical question, with non-numeric choices... Straight plurality will win.

This poll will be open for 36 hours.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, see these threads for the first two beers we did (and the bazillion ensuing polls and the final recipes...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/averagely-perfect-american-stout-poll-1-abv.131209/ )

Issues with methodology? Take 'em to beermail please.

The Averagely Perfect Saison so far...

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
    ABV: 5.7%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.002
    Mash Recommendation: Single Infusion @ 150F, 60 Minutes, no Mashout
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%
    90 Minute Boil
    IBUs: 24

Grain Bill:

Belgian Pilsner Malt (68%)
    Flaked Wheat (17%)
    Vienna malt (15%)

Yeasts:
    WLP565/Wyeast 3724 at beginning of fermentation
    WLP644, 0.5 Liter Starter Recommended, added to primary when beer/wort reaches gravity of 1.033

Flavor/Aroma Hops:

Saaz
    Hallertau

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

As a matter of principle, I don't care too much about what hops are used for bittering here. However, I think it is practical to keep the types of hops the same.

3. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (484) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Finally an easy one. Saaz (24-28% co-humo) or Hallertau (20-26%) will easily fill the bill . . . even at low alpha will only need a dab. If it would help VikeMan eliminate a poll we could all "write in" to bitter with whichever one has the highest alpha. KISS

4. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

We are not looking for a lot of IBUs, so I see no reason to use a 3rd hop, Saaz and/or Hallertau is plenty.

pweis909 likes this.
  5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Keep it the same.. Simple.

I'd be inclined to use some co2 extract myself, but I doubt we'd need much in the way of IBU's for the bittering charge.

6. Naugled

Naugled Defender (640) Sep 25, 2007 New York

I chose no restrictions because I don't think it may matter what we use for the bittering addition. No restrictions will let you use whatever you want (or have on hand) for the bittering charge.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,819) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I bitter everything with magnum. Not gonna stop now.

8. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

Why complicate things with another hop. I'm already going to buy saaz and hallertau, might as well buy another ounce of either one and call it a day.

PortLargo likes this.
  9. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Generally, I bitter with a hop that appears later in the boil or a random high AA hop. I don't have a dedicated bittering hop.

10. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

I'm just not seeing using any high alpha hop other other hops. I just plugged in the numbers in promash to get an estimate and using Magnum at 14% AA at 60 minutes you'll need .25oz to get 17.24 IBUs. .5 oz gives you 34.47. that is pittance.

Getting ahead of myself with the vote at 67% for saaz and/or hallertau. I plan on voting for Hallertau only for the bittering. Based on Hop Union data is tends to have higher alpha acids and lower cohumulone than saaz.

http://www.hopunion.com/czech-saaz/

http://www.hopunion.com/german-hallertau-mittelfrh/

11. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

One or both of the Flavor/Aroma Hops (Saaz, Hallertau) for bittering it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.