Averagely Perfect Saison - Poll #33 - Hop Schedule Times

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Mar 1, 2015.

?

Select one or more hop addition timings

Poll closed Mar 3, 2015.
  1. First Wort Hop

17.5%
  2. 60 min

75.0%
  3. 45 min

2.5%
  4. 30 min

2.5%
  5. 20 min

15.0%
  6. 10 min

57.5%
  7. 5 min

27.5%
  8. Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand

77.5%
  9. Dry Hop

22.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Poll #32 determined that Saaz and/or Hallertau will be the bittering hops as well as flavor/aroma hops. This poll (#33) will determine the timing piece of the hops schedule. All this poll will do is determine the timing of additions, not quantities or specific variety(s) (i.e. combos of Saaz and/or Hallertau). I know some will feel they can't vote on timing without knowing which hops and proportions for each addition. Oh well, we have to start somewhere. Multiple votes are of course allowed for this one. Any timing choice with at least 50% of voters choosing it will be in. Hopefully the options cover enough bases (and then some).

For those looking ahead, the next polls after this will be to determine the amounts and proportions of hops at each of the selected addition times.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, see these threads for the first two beers we did (and the bazillion ensuing polls and the final recipes...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/averagely-perfect-american-stout-poll-1-abv.131209/ )

Issues with methodology? Take 'em to beermail please.

The Averagely Perfect Saison so far...

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
    ABV: 5.7%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.002
    Mash Recommendation: Single Infusion @ 150F, 60 Minutes, no Mashout
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%
    90 Minute Boil
    IBUs: 24

Grain Bill:
    Belgian Pilsner Malt (68%)
    Flaked Wheat (17%)
    Vienna malt (15%)

Yeasts:
    WLP565/Wyeast 3724 at beginning of fermentation
    WLP644, 0.5 Liter Starter Recommended, added to primary when beer/wort reaches gravity of 1.033

Hops (amounts/timing TBD):
    Saaz
    Hallertau

2. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (246) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

Bittering, flavor, and aroma (60, 10, & 0)

Mongrel and GeoSteve like this.
  3. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

^
    What he said :slight_smile:

GeoSteve likes this.
  4. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (484) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

^
    You are both very close . . . just left out the dh . . .

60, 5, 0, DH

CFC10 likes this.
  5. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

60, 10, 0, Dry Hop

6. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

^
    ^
    What he said he said.

7. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

60 and Hopstand only. There is already a lot going on in the recipe as it is.

8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

60, 10-5-Whirlpool

Dryhop if you feel frisky, but who knows.

We've got enough IBU's in there, I'm gonna have trouble souring it off the same batch, but to hell with it.

9. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

FWH, 20, WP.

10. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,068) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Earlier in the polls I might have agreed with you, but we have really pulled the reigns in on this recipe lately. I mean, where exactly do you see "a lot going on" in this recipe? The grain bill is simple. The hop selections are very traditional. The only aspect that is even *a little* complicated is that we are pitching two yeasts. (And let's not forget that WLP644 is second fiddle here and won't even be pitched until roughly 20% of the fermentation has occurred.) I don't expect it's contribution to be monumental.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad to see that a more traditional Saison has evolved, but I am also very happy, as I'm looking back at this, that 644 was voted in for the extra layer of complexity.

11. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

FWH because I am lazy and forgetful, 5, 0 and dryhop because I have never dryhopped a saison

MrOH likes this.
  12. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

"a lot going on" was in reference to a dryhop. I prefer to get a hint of hops, while still being yeast driven beer.

PortLargo likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,820) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

FWH, 10. That's it. I prefer my saisons to be yeast driven, or hopped with something more interesting than what we got here.

14. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,068) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

OK, I misunderstood then, I thought you meant there was already a lot going on in the recipe...period. I don't want to go overboard on the dryhopping either (looks like dryhopping is out anyway), but I'd still like to pick up a couple IBUs from a healthy whirlpool addition, that's for sure. I don't like my saisons to be overly bitter, but I think hoppy and yeast-focused go well together in this style.

15. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Looks like 60 minutes, 10 minutes, and Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.