Averagely Perfect Saison - Poll #46 - Fermentation Ramp Time

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Mar 27, 2015.

?

Over what period should the fermenation be ramped up from 68F to 80F?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2015.
  1. 0.5 days

3.7%
  2. 1 day

7.4%
  3. 1.5 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2 days

3.7%
  5. 2.5 days

7.4%
  6. 3 days

14.8%
  7. 4 days

18.5%
  8. 5 days

3.7%
  9. 6 days

11.1%
  10. 7 days

29.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Poll #45 determined that the starting (pitching) fermentation temp will be 68F.

This poll will determine the time over which to ramp up to the target of 80F. When this poll is done, I will look at the data a few different ways to determine the central tendency. It may or may not be as simple as a plurality would indicate. There may or may not be a runoff. It all depends on the data. Want a shorter or longer time? Write it in.

For those looking ahead, the polls to follow will be the Water polls.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, see these threads for the first two beers we did (and the bazillion ensuing polls and the final recipes...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/averagely-perfect-american-stout-poll-1-abv.131209/ )

Issues with methodology? Take 'em to beermail please.

The Averagely Perfect Saison so far...

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
    ABV: 5.7%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.002
    Mash Recommendation: Single Infusion @ 150F, 60 Minutes, no Mashout
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%
    90 Minute Boil
    IBUs: 24
    Fermentation: Pitch at 68F, ramping up to 80F over <TBD> Days

Grain Bill:
    Belgian Pilsner Malt (68%)
    Flaked Wheat (17%)
    Vienna malt (15%)

Yeasts:
    WLP565/Wyeast 3724 and WLP650, co-pitched [no starter for the Brett]

Hops:
    60 Minutes - Saaz and Hallertau, approx. 15 IBUs, Split 50/50
    10 Minutes - 0.75 ounces Saaz , 0.75 ounces Hallertau
    Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand - 0.75 ounces Saaz, 0.75 ounces Hallertau

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Hmm, this is a difficult poll. I think maybe the best policy on this would be to leave it up to interpretation. That is, we've decided on a maximum and minumum (and ramp), perhaps it would be best to leave the procedure up to the individual brewer.

Just a suggestion, and more to ease the burden on interpreting the results than anything else.

wspscott and wonothesane42 like this.
  3. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Free rise!

bushycook, ChrisMyhre and wspscott like this.
  4. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

I will probably pitch at 68 and put it in a place that is low 70s and then let the yeast do their thing. I went with 3 days because that is how long I think it will take for the yeast to get it to that temp.

5. wspscott

I suspect that most people who actually brew this and going to do their own thing anyway :slight_smile:

JohnSnowNW and ChrisMyhre like this.
  6. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

12 degrees / (2 degrees / day) = 6 days.

7. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

So far, I've decided to try to follow pretty closely, but I agree that most of us will experience points of departure. It could be a matter if expedience, like equipment or ingredient limitation, or just succumbing to the temptation to personalize a recipe according to individual whims, tastes, and sensibilities - that kind of goes with the territory.

8. wspscott

I plan on brewing this pretty closely to the final recipe, but I have 3 small kids and limited time. There is no way I would be able to manage a controlled rise in temp over 7 days.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  9. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

My plans would be to pitch at 68, strap on the brew belt and let it rise to 80 (probably 78ish for me at least if I brew it soon). Not certain how long that would actually take but I bet it's only a few days at most, if not less.

10. wspscott

In the interest of learning more, for those of you that went with 6 or 7 days, what are you hoping to accomplish? Just hoping to ensure complete attenuation? Or something else? If I was guessing, this beer will be close to complete attenuation by 4 or 5 days given the low gravity and the basic grain bill.

Anyone care to enlighten me? :slight_smile:

11. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (484) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Moderation. I never want to move the wort temp more than 1 or 2 degrees a day. Remember, the yeast love warmer temps but in general dislike rapid swings . . . they act like primma donnas and I bow to their needs. IMO the starting temp is way too low, but I would still want to raise it slowly.

I've never ferm'ed 3724 this low but lots of threads about stuck/really-slow activity when in the 70s. Even if attenuation is complete before reaching the final temp, there is conditioning taking place for another week+. This strain can certainly handle the higher temps, so I tend to keep my temps high for several days to let those little buggers do whatever they do when not making bubbles. As for the Brett, seems like we are so far below what it needs that the rise-time will have little effect (opinion again) . . . essentially the same as pitching at bottling.

wspscott likes this.
  12. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Mean and Median: 4 days
    Mode: 7 days
    Given the varied abilities of people to control temperature, I'm calling this one as a range: 4-7 days.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.