Beer in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by woemad, Jul 23, 2019.

1. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,349) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Looking for suggestions re: beers/breweries to check out on the Big Island. Kona and Maui are the only Hawaiian breweries that are available locally (and, of course, the Kona here is brewed on the mainland).

2. antsmarching777

antsmarching777 Initiate (20) Apr 14, 2009 California

3. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (858) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

BIB Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea. Have lunch at Hawaiian Style Cafe down the street. They close early, 130pm.
    Ola in Kona.
    I would stop in Kona Brewing Co for the pizza and one off or seasonal beers.
    Be aware that if you shop for bottles that most stores will have old out date cans/bottles. Buy them at the source.

4. Donco

Donco Devotee (457) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Must stop: Kona Brewing Co for one of their beers and excellent pizza...eaten outdoors:sunglasses:

5. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (211) May 1, 2010 California

Seconding Ola and Big Island Brewhaus. Humpy's in Kona probably has the best selection of draft beers on the island and a great view upstairs.

woemad likes this.
  6. dcgunman

Trader

If you make it over to Hilo I highly recommend Pineapples (good taplist & great food). They are closed on Mondays. Also they have Hawaiian Style Café-Hilo (just like in Waimea).

7. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,349) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I neglected to give a little background info. I'm going to be part of a group of 7 of us, including two children, plus I'm the only real beer geek involved. So I'd really like to hear about child friendly restaurants with some good, local beer available.

Sounds like Kona will fit that bill, so long as they allow kids, which I'd imagine they do, plus I've now got Ola and BIB to.look out for on local tap lists. Thanks, guys!

dcgunman likes this.
  8. dcgunman

Trader

As I mentioned above if you hit up Hilo > Pineapples! Family restaurant with good beer.

woemad likes this.
  9. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (556) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

or have breakfast at Hawaiian Style Cafe. biggest pancakes in the world

woemad and dcgunman like this.
  10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (523) Mar 19, 2012 California

I have a 13 year with special needs (Down Syndrome). Last Christmas, he went with us to Ola, Big Island, and Kona. No problem with an iPad!

I would suggest Broke Da Mouth as a food option. Pick it up and head to Ola which is just down the street. Kona has always been good for food where as Big Island has been hit and miss.

woemad likes this.
  11. Kenny_Powers

Kenny_Powers Initiate (30) Feb 19, 2016 California

If anyone wants to throw some Maui recommendations, that'd be appreciated.

wolf13 and Black_Rider like this.
  12. joloje

joloje Initiate (102) Jan 2, 2009 California

Kona Brewing happy hour is a good bargain for getting some chow (and beers) in a costly area. I think they have some small-batch brewed in-house beers as well.
    The gecko lizards running around the garden are an added bonus, but you're not supposed to eat them!

woemad likes this.
  13. Black_Rider

Trader

14. AndyBrewsBeer

AndyBrewsBeer Initiate (91) May 6, 2015 California
    Trader

Maui Brewing in Kihei. Grab a beer and enjoy the view out on the patio!

Rustytacos and 310gts like this.
  15. 310gts

310gts Initiate (54) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

The one in Lahaina isn't bad either, no patio though.

Outside of breweries, Kimo's has some awesome food and the view on the patio at sunset is amazing. :+1:

OTB likes this.
  16. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,162) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I just returned from a trip to Honolulu. For visitors to the area I'd recommend;

Kona Brewing Koko Marina - great views, plenty of one off beer selections, and its right by Roy Yamaguchi's original restaurant
    Waikiki Brewing - Very simple bar area. Great to stop in for a quick pint
    Maui Brewing (Waikiki) - This is more of a family joint, and with a ton of stairs to head up to the seating area. I found this made for a great breakfast stop since they open at 7am.
    Honolulu Beerworks - Tucked back behind the shopping mall, an open patio seating makes this simple taproom kinda cool.

I would say that for locals, Real Gastropub would be great with its large taplist. But much of what they had are things us folks in the states can get.

17. hoppedout

hoppedout Initiate (19) Dec 10, 2018 California
    Trader

How did you manage to miss all the top breweries on Oahu? Inu, Beer Lab, Lanikai...

FrogOut69 and RKP1967 like this.
  18. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,162) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

When you are in Hawaii for only a few days work, you gotta maximize time. Driving around to Inu or Lanikai was going essentially going to kill an entire evening. Beer Lab was doable but lost out to the combo of getting to Roy's for dinner reservations and Kona down the street.

dcgunman likes this.
  19. dcgunman

Trader

Nice call. Time is of the essence.

20. hoppedout

hoppedout Initiate (19) Dec 10, 2018 California
    Trader

Fair enough, though I'd rather spend an hour on Windward side than an entire day around Waikiki.

Sabtos and FrogOut69 like this.
  21. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (459) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Spending all that time around Waikiki is a waste.

22. dcgunman

Trader

Actually I prefer the Big Island over the other islands these days. Yes Oahu may have more Island craft selections but why are you in Hawaii? Vacation and paradise. Yes it’s nice to have a good selection of refreshments. So I always bring my own from the mainland when we visit the BI. But I always stop by the source Ola, Big Island Brewhouse and pick up the local stuff too. Aloha.

Sabtos and FrogOut69 like this.
  23. FrogOut69

Trader

Going to echo the love for the Big Island. I much prefer trips there, and the beer scene (both access to Hawaiian breweries and from the Big Island itself) has been steadily improving year-by-year as well.

24. Black_Rider

Trader

love the Pahoa side of Big Island. used to go there almost exclusively but Maui has become our favorite island. also our favorite snorkeling spot is now a lava field

Rustytacos, FrogOut69 and dcgunman like this.
  25. dcgunman

Trader

We’ll be in Pahoa 2 weeks after our Seoul trip next weekend. That was our snorkeling and hot pool spot as well.

Black_Rider and FrogOut69 like this.
  26. Schwarvald1990

Schwarvald1990 Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2020
    Trader

Going to Hawaii in May and was wondering about some great local spots for beers or must haves?

27. FrogOut69

Trader

As in the actual island of Hawaii? If so, which side?

Black_Rider likes this.
  28. AndyBrewsBeer

Trader

Headed to the Big Island in a few weeks. Staying in Waikoloa. Ran across Tropics Ale House (https://www.tropicsalehouse.com/drinks). Looks like they have offerings from a number of the locals (BIB, Ola, Lanakai, etc.) on tap and cans/bottles. Anyone ever been here?

29. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (145) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

Leaving for Kauai (Poipu area, but can drive) and Maui (Wailea area, but can drive as well) this week. Any recommendations for either of those islands? Looks like most of the recs above were for the big island.

30. AndyBrewsBeer

Trader

wolf13 likes this.
  31. ryno09

I haven't been but I think my parents go there. Most taps around that area if my memory is correct. Humpy's in Kona will have your best selection. Lava Lava Beach Club has more minimal options but still some local beers. Head up to BIB if you can.

AndyBrewsBeer likes this.
  32. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,073) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Kauai has options but is a bit of a beer wasteland compared to some of the other islands.

Kauai Island Brewing and Kauai Beer Company are the only breweries on the island. Both are perfectly fine but I like KBC better. Nani Moon Meadery is nice if you're into mead.

Avalon Gastropub and Street Burger have some of the best tap lists on the island.

33. dcgunman

Trader

@AndyBrewsBeer
    Yes, drive to Waimea and hit up BIB. Bring some bottles back with you. I’ve eaten there 3 times. All 3 times I didn’t care for the food. But most of the menu was vegan or vegan-like. Skip the food and do yourself a favor. Have brunch or lunch at Hawaiian Style Cafe instead. They are open for breakfast and lunch only. Closes at 130pm. We stop at Hawaiian Style every visit to the Big Island. Either the one in Waimea or in Hilo or both. Both excellent local Hawaiian food. And check out the size of their pancakes! Hilo is open for dinner. Also in Hilo is Pineapples for great food and beer. In Kona hit up Kona Brewing Co for their pizzas and one off/seasonal beers. Not so much for their regular beers, which are bottles on the mainland and shipped to the islands. Ola Brewery is just up the road from Kona Brewing. We’ll be in Kona the end of this month for 3 nights.

edit....I always bring my own cans/bottles with me to mix in with the islands local offerings. Wether it be sharing at the pubs or at our place of stay. Don’t expect crazy hazy beers or exceptional west coast offering from the local island brewery’s. I do bring BIB and Ola cans/bottles back to the mainland.

#33 dcgunman, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  34. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Disciple (397) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I lived at Sunset Point Oahu back in the 1970's. Yes, I was surfing my life away.
    Back then it was a steady diet of Primo.
    Fosters Lager on payday.
    My buddy would bring Carlsberg Elephant on the weekends.
    Glad to hear there is great brew in Hawaii!

Black_Rider likes this.
  35. dcgunman

Trader

Primo on ice. That was one of my experiences of Oahu in the 70’s.

Singlefinpin likes this.
  36. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (267) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Went to Kauai a few years ago. The breweries were OKAY. Honestly there are so many amazing things to do on that island, I wouldn't recommend any. Waste of time, IMO.

We had a few awesome dinners, but our favorite was the intimate (super fresh) dinner -

Kauai Ono
    5-5086 Kuhio Hwy
    Princeville Ranch
    Princeville, HI 96714

This was amazing. There is no menu, so no options. Chef makes based on what was caught/harvested that day. But everything was amazing. I think it was $60pp (w/o tip) cash & BYOB.

If you want a Luau, highly recommend - Smith Family Garden Luau. Overall an impressive experience.

wolf13 likes this.
  37. ryno09

We'll still eat at BIB but now I rather go to The Fish And The Hog for BBQ and then BIB for beers (or vice versa).

38. Black_Rider

Trader

got back from Maui and Kauai last month. I don't have anything to contribute but just wanted to reminisce

there wasn't anything new from previous visits except this was the first time the restaurant was open (for us) at the main MBC brewery. they did a nice job with the spot. feel like the whole thing is kind of inspired by the Stone Escondido location

was kind of surprised to see Kauai Beer Company still not doing crowlers.

beer is always a bonus but personally when I'm in Hawaii I don't really even care that much what I drink. I can survive on MBC

39. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (523) Mar 19, 2012 California

I have been on Oaha the last two weeks and head back tomorrow. I have only had beer twice (Beer Labs and some Kona Brewing). Normally, I dont' much and use it for a down time from beer.

I did want to get to MBC Brewery in Kailua, but didn't make it.

40. piggy_rulz

piggy_rulz Initiate (27) Dec 4, 2019 Missouri

We stay at the Hilton in Waikoloa & TAH is a short walk. Great food & tap list. Basically a sports bar.

Btw, the Hilton has an actual Kona Brewing pub in the hotel. Hella expensive but entertaining. Pool table. Foosball. Nice space. Worth wandering around Hilton just for art.

But, the go to place is Lava Lava Beach Club south of Marriott. Surprising tap list. Decent food. Location x 3.

Here’s a taste.

FrogOut69 and AndyBrewsBeer like this.