Beer Karma points lowered?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Jasonja1474, Dec 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (87) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

I just noticed my Karma points have fallen to 84? Is this a thing? I was up to like the next level past “initiate” and now I’m back. Maybe I need to read more I guess.

eldoctorador and TheIPAHunter like this.
  2. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,260) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I wouldn't focus on karma. It's not really important in the grand scheme, unless you need the accolades to coincide with your participation. Just enjoy beer, support the site, and come hang with us once in awhile in the WBAYDN thread. Review some beers in the process. Planets will align. Cheers!

3. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Defender (673) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

I've noticed it decreases some times. No idea why

mikeinportc and Jasonja1474 like this.
  4. Jasonja1474

Trader

It’s not really that important to me, I was just wondering why. I figured it was because I haven’t been on I awhile. I used to post regularly in WBAYDN but lately it’s to much of a hassle to post it to imgur first then put it here next and then I can’t even see the pic myself on here anymore? I just post what I’m drinking now on Untappd and use this site for help with home brewing or the latest beer news. Maybe even a BIF . Cheers

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  5. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Defender (620) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

As far as using imgur, I had no luck with that. Then @Ocalafox suggested postimage and it started working every time. As far as karma dropping, I've had that happen a few times when I went back and edited a review shortly after posting it. Maybe that?

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  6. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,102) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Sometimes they make subtle tweaks to algorithms, other times posts and/or threads could be deleted, or there could be a problem with a periodic recalculation run. At least once I've lost hundreds due to announced algorithm changes, then got some back afterwards as they tweaked. Other times I've gotten points I couldn't explain. The first rule of Beer Karma is: You do not talk about Beer Karma. The second rule of Beer Karma is: You do not talk about Beer Karma. Just let it happen, it's a zen thing.

7. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (404) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Yes, this is really an inconvenience when you're checking out. I tried to redeem my points for a 4-pack of the KBS Espresso, but the guy behind the counter actually took one of the beers out of my 4-pack and said "Sorry, you only have enough beer karma for 3". Oh well, fantastic beer nonetheless.

8. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Defender (620) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I laughed exceedingly too hard at this.

9. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (264) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Back when I ws much more active here they changed something and reset the karma stats and other stuff. It's pretty irrelevant to the way the site works. Maybe bragging rights for spending a lot of time here, maybe people who actively review beers and places get better karma.

10. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,009) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

:grin:
    Use the BBCode, & paste it directly into the comment box. I've had absolutely no problems through all this change.

Re the karma, recent activity has yielded +1 for every beer pic added, & +2-3 for every review. (So... 2.x for each review? :thinking_face:)

Mister_Faucher likes this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Did you drink a Bud yesterday? Santa knows. :wink::wink::wink:

12. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Champion (864) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

It all depends on the amount of work you put in.
    If you post a written review on every beer you've had and not just a numeric rating than your karma will be more. Also depends on if your a society member, that will boost your karma points by alot.
    The key is contribution really. So many styles... So many places... amount of likes/posts.
    Everything has a factor.
    Beer Karma is mystical.
    Good Luck and have fun. Respect and drink a beer.

13. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (945) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't even know what my beer karma number is.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  14. Jasonja1474

Trader

Possible, have to cleanse the palate once in a while.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  15. Jasonja1474

Trader

dennis3951 likes this.
  16. Jasonja1474

Trader

That makes sense. I was a member but they quit with auto withdrawal and I unfortunately am/was to lazy to deal setting it back up. May be why it dropped. Cheers

drunkenmess likes this.
  17. Jasonja1474

Trader

This is exactly why I was complaining!!! I’m glad somebody feels my pain. Lol cheers fellar and Merry Christmas

Ffenski likes this.
  18. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (945) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Thank you, I also see that I am a Savant, What does that mean and what would be the next step?

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  19. bbtkd

Society Trader

See Beer Karma Explained

Jasonja1474 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. bbtkd

Society Trader

Well yeah, you have to get to Poo-Bah before you get the fez and learn the secret handshake that gets you the discount and full packs. :rolling_eyes:

Senior Poo-Bah is so secret that it isn't even on the list and doesn't show up in your posts. :wink:

Every BA should remember that the Beer Karma Levels have NOTHING to do with overall beer knowledge since there can be beer life prior to BA. There are LOTS of Initiates here that know more than me, they just haven't been on the site long. All that Beer Karma score and level indicate is contribution and participation on the site.

#20 bbtkd, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  21. Scrapss

Scrapss Savant (925) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Just viewing this thread can lower it! :astonished:

j/k. Replying to these threads lowers it. :slight_frown:

Yea, they tweak algos and sometimes it quantitatively eases back then shoots up, seemingly random unless you're on the team that builds the algos.

Just Zen it out.

Jasonja1474, bbtkd and FBarber like this.
  22. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Savant (907) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Write some beer reviews.

GuyFawkes, Jasonja1474 and Scrapss like this.
  23. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,848) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Were you part of Society? I noticed that it is not showing on your post? If you were and its gone that would result in this.
    Cheers

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  24. Todd

Todd Founder (5,904) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

As @AZBeerDude72 guessed, your drop in Beer Karma points occurred in September when your Society membership expired. Nothing was tweaked on your end.

There are many other things that users can do that'll impact points either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.