Beer Karma, Verification, and Beer Trader Status Resets

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,598) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

I lost my Beer Karma!
    Zero points? Don't worry. Lost some points? Everyone did.

This isn't a glitch. I'm working on the Beer Karma system, which required a reset to zero. Additionally, some sources of points have been altered or removed. Any resulting point changes are global (applied across all users) and we won't be divulging what changed; as that's simply not the way of Beer Karma. But I will say that we were starting off new members with too many points for doing nothing.

It's going to take the system some time to catch up, but eventually everyone's points will repopulate.

Update: The Premium Member boost to Beer Karma is now incremental based on the number of years on the site, with a cap to thwart users from becoming gods.

Account Verification
    We don't need this additional step at this time, so it's been removed to make using portions of the site a hell of a lot easier.

I lost my Beer Trader status!
    Everyone did. Simply visit the Trading page, and then read and agree to the terms again. You'll immediately gain access to the forums, your feedback, and your stats (nothing was lost).

Thanks for your patience.

2. Todd

Staff

Scrubbed all of the replies as they no longer apply. See the above post for the most recent updates.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  3. vitaminvert

vitaminvert Initiate (93) Oct 12, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

Clicking on that link, there doesn't appear to be any way to actually agree to the terms again. System still catching up maybe?

TrillBill and kbergen28 like this.
  4. Todd

Staff

Cache has been cleared. Try now.

Beer_Economicus and jhavs like this.
  5. vitaminvert

vitaminvert Initiate (93) Oct 12, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

Good to go, thanks!

Mikexw, Todd and jhavs like this.
  6. Todd

Staff

Everything is looking good now. Beer Karma is flowing and hundreds of Beer Traders are back in action.

Harrison8, sulldaddy, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  7. Boldbrew

Boldbrew Initiate (130) Jun 26, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Bummer I lost my karma :slight_frown:

8. mig100

mig100 Savant (972) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Got a little hunch that if you become a subscriber and supporter your meaningless beer karma points will go back up! ; )

9. Todd

Staff

Subscriber was removed ages ago (3rd party service that we can't sync with properly), but it's a Premium Member perk (as noted on the page).

mig100, FBarber and Boldbrew like this.
  10. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (105) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

"Solid" UX right there. A perfect reminder of why I just "love" this site so damn much...

brewme and RobNewton like this.
  11. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (304) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

Beer Karma is not meaningless, it won’t get you a cup of coffee but it has its purpose.
    The previous rating system clearly had some flaws, I was a few points away from Zealot
    after only two months??!!! In theory, I could have made Meyvn in another two months and then Poobah two months later. I am not ready for such responsibility.

Harrison8, Lucular, Junior and 6 others like this.
  12. ZenAgnostic

ZenAgnostic Champion (873) Jan 27, 2011 Texas

Your beer karma will catch up to you in the next life.

13. LarryV

LarryV Meyvn (1,023) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Premium

Thanks Todd!

frozyn and Todd like this.
  14. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,223) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

I'll bet if you sold and marketed nonic pint glasses with Beer Karma status and BA handle screened below the BA logo, you'd make a gajillion dollars - especially if you added the following in very small print:

*Subject to change without notice (or explanation)

Herbabee, Harrison8, mjco04 and 10 others like this.
  15. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (333) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

It's pointless. Ive been on for 6 years and have less than you with hundreds of posts and beers. Used to be over 500, every time they change it I lose points. I've lost about 40 points after this reset. Makes no sense but it doesn't matter with it being pointless.

Mvsmvs92, mig100 and RobNewton like this.
  16. alexsergio

alexsergio Meyvn (1,015) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Premium Trader

Beer karma isn’t important to me but my beer trader status has been removed and now I can’t sign up for a BIF since I don’t have privileges to post there. Maybe it’s being repopulated??

17. Todd

Staff

Nope. Read the update. Two clicks and you're back.

18. alexsergio

alexsergio Meyvn (1,015) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Premium Trader

Sorry, sir. I am stupid.

Harrison8, beertunes, mig100 and 2 others like this.
  19. Todd

Staff

No worries. I'm here to help.

20. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (3,478) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Premium

Maybe if they sold pint glasses that said "At least I'm not that insufferable @ovaltine" They would make even more money. :wink:

21. Vidblain

Vidblain Crusader (771) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

So exactly which points were removed from users @Todd ? If that's behind the scenes and will not be disclosed, cool. I'm down 95 points, and don't seem to have accumulated points from activity other than beer reviews in at least a few weeks.

Just curious - I was looking forward to Meyvn status.

Buck89, Amendm and Snowcrash000 like this.
  22. Todd

Staff

I already said too much in my original post.

23. Vidblain

Premium Trader

Got it. Cheers, Todd.

24. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (877) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Personally, I can't help but feel that if you're going to take such large chunks of karma away from people after they put a lot of time and effort into contributing to this site, then you at least kinda owe an explanation to them as to why.

Just my opinion, no disrespect intended.

RMW66, rozzom, cosmo4u and 10 others like this.
  25. Vidblain

Premium Trader

I'm just puzzled by the secrecy.

26. rtrasr

rtrasr Aspirant (293) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Just about have as many likes as I do "karma".

SagittariusA likes this.
  27. AngEo

AngEo Disciple (372) Oct 31, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Never paid too much attention to it, but now I am beginning to wonder how exactly the system works seeing all these 2017-2018 people with hundreds of points. I think I got most of mine from uploading pics and beers but it's not like I know. Still a bummer to lose like a years worth of karma after finally hitting that 400 mark. I'm guessing its more forum based or something? I'm sure I'll stop caring again in a couple days regardless.

Cheers

Steve_Studnuts likes this.
  28. JayORear

JayORear Savant (999) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Premium Trader

It's not pointless vis-a-vis trading and/or whose opinion you take seriously on the site. I'm much more inclined to trade with, have meaningful conversations with, and possibly meet in person a member with high karma points. I also tend to take their beer reviews more seriously.

29. SagittariusA

SagittariusA Initiate (104) Jan 23, 2017 Missouri
    Trader

This is very circular. I was a member of BA in 2004 - 2008. Took a break and got my account shut. Came back in the past couple years after trading at Reddit for a bit. Now, I have a karma of 46 despite being active with 40+ trades. I am supposed to get to 100 before I can trade here?

This seems like a veiled attempt to improve your revenue, as opposed to improving the trader experience as claimed. If so, please be transparent. Many of us don’t mind ads and the revenue drawn from them, but I would prefer we all know the whole story instead of acting like you are helping your community.

30. Todd

Staff

No one lost a years worth of Beer Karma, and what was adjusted had nothing to do with contributing.
    Beer Karma leans heavily towards reviews.

FBarber and 2beerdogs like this.
  31. Todd

Staff

46? You have 92.
    No.
    How so? We're not requiring you to buy anything to trade. Just create an account, log in, and agree to our terms.

(Looks like you didn't read the updated thread before replying.)

32. Spaten454

Trader

You make a valid point.

aasher, HopsAreDaMan and JayORear like this.
  33. SagittariusA

Trader

My bad. When reading he other page, I thought it said I had to have a 100 or buy a premium account. I will reread it. I appreciate your patience with your reply.

34. JayORear

Premium Trader

Settle down. There's nothing nefarious going on here.

LarryV, FBarber and dcotom like this.
  35. SagittariusA

Trader

Dude, watch the “settle down” comments. I am not your fucking kid. The site owner replied in a mature manner, and I thanked him and will look into it.

RobNewton and daveafrank like this.
  36. Todd

Staff

The criteria was tied to Beer Karma for a hot minute, and before that posting or reviewing, and before that SMS/PayPal, and becoming a Premium Member was another way to verify your account and more. But after some feedback and internal discussion, we just realized that the whole verification step in general was no longer required. So we removed it to make things easier.

37. Spaten454

Trader

I just don't understand how someone who has had an account on the site for not even then 2 months, with less then 50 beer reviews, less then 100 trades can have almost 400 points.

38. Todd

Staff

Beer Karma is one of many Premium Membership perks. It drops a lot right now, but we're testing incremental points for it based on the number of years that the user is on the site. It'll be applied soon.

39. JayORear

Premium Trader

Um, ok.

40. JayORear

Premium Trader

I can't remember how much, but you do get a nice little boost when you become a Premium Member.

woodychandler and Spaten454 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.