Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

BeerAdvocate App = Disabled

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Please note that effective immediately we've disabled the BeerAdvocate App from iTunes, Google Play and Amazon. The app will no longer work and is no longer supported.

First, we'd like to thank everyone who downloaded the app and provided us with invaluable feedback over the last 3 years of use. We appreciate your support and understand the need to access the site on mobile devices.

But our goals and technology have changed a lot since the app was launched. As such, we've opted to take a different direction with mobile. And the new responsive design provides much more functionality than the app on mobile devices, so we see no point in trying to update multiple versions of our service as we shift our focus to BeerAdvocate 4.0.

Functionality that existed in the app, and/or was planned for the app, will now be rolled into BA 4.0. @Mike created an excellent internal API that will be put to good use as we develop the next version of the site and its supporting services. No code will be wasted.

In the meantime, we encourage all previous app users to load the site on their mobile devices and continue to provide us with feedback to help us provide a better mobile experience.

Questions? See the FAQ below.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Frequently Asked Questions
    It appears that many of our app users are unaware that BeerAdvocate (BA) is more than just an app, so I'm putting together an FAQ to help with the transition to the website and answer some of the questions that we've been getting. And I'll update as needed.

Why didn't you alert app users?
    Unfortunately we were unable to alert all users. We apologize for the inconvenience and confusion.

How do you expect people to find out about BA now?
    Through our website, which has been around since 1996. We also host beer fests (since 2003) and publish a monthly beer magazine (since 2006). Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

I used the app because your site wasn't optimized for my phone. What do I use now?
    Our website, which is now responsive. Learn more: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/site-migration-complete-ssl-responsive-design.433225/

Are you worried that BA will now go out of business/is no longer relevant as it doesn't have an app?
    No. Upwards of 70% of our current traffic is from browsers on mobile devices and the rest is from desktop browsers. The app was a fraction of our overall traffic, and we didn't build our business around it.

What does the website give me that the app didn't?
    A more complete experience, like:
    • Additional profile tools and features (lots of useful settings).
    • Additional forum tools and features (likes, quoting, follow, prefixes, etc).
    • Additional (private) conversation tools and features (organize, invite, etc).
    • Website alerts (so you don't miss anything).
    • Access to nearly 10 years of archived BA mag content.
    • Access to forthcoming BA 4.0 features.
    • The feeling that you're part of a community, because you are!
    To name just a few benefits.

How do I access my data (profile, reviews, posts, etc)?
    By using this website. Simply log in and you'll have access to everything that you've contributed.

How do I trade?
    The same way you did before, using our Beer Trading forums: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/forums/beer-trading.80/.

Will you be adding pics to my list of rated beers and places like the app?
    This is being considered.

Will you be adding the "nearby" feature for places?
    Yes. Mapping will be part of BA 4.0.

Update: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/nearby-a-map-of-places-near-you.441881/

I have feedback on disabling the app. Where do I post it?

I have feedback on the new website design. Where do I post it?
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!