BeerAdvocate App [Revisited]

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,114) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

We were admittedly late to the app game when we launched it in 2014, and we took the wrong approach on many levels. This ultimately lead to our disabling it last July, but thanks to @Mike we got an API out of it. Since then we've been listening to your feedback, analyzing our site usage, reevaluating our decisions and goals, and learning a hell of lot along the way.

Today I'm stoked to announce that we're actively revisiting the development of a BeerAdvocate app. I won't go into any specifics at the moment, but I can tell you that it would be native app for iOS and Android with a focus on the entire user experience (UX) and unique ways to use our vast data. We also plan on issuing a request for proposal (RFP) to app developers, while we continue to focus on building out our responsive website UX, new features, and extending our robust application program interface (API) to support the app.

It's early days, but we'll keep everyone updated on our progress. In the meantime, feel free to tell us what you'd like to see in a BeerAdvocate app. We're listening.

Cheers!

2. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (763) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

I know you guys have always held that you're not in the business of image/media hosting, but maybe now is the time. I'd love to know the percentage of posts that incorporate images these days and how much extra time folks have to spend every time jumping back and forth between this site and file hosting sites.

3. steverx8

steverx8 Meyvn (1,010) Apr 11, 2013 England

The one thing I would like to see is the ability to sort my "wants" list by different variables that is currently available. For instance I could call up Beers made in Florida if I was in an Orlando beer store.

Thanks

dertyd, kroeneri, Harrison8 and 6 others like this.
  4. cbridge27

cbridge27 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2011 New York

Maybe an icon that would show a beer that is "trending" in a positive or negative way.

Also would love to see individual ratings for vintage beers rather than just the whole series. For instance when the Goose Island variants turned bad in 2015 they wouldn't be 100.

#4 cbridge27, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Kozmob

Kozmob Initiate (48) Feb 18, 2014 Washington

I want an app where I can quickly search for labels or beer names, easily rate beers 1-5, show beers I've rated alphabetically, search, or by type. I want to add beers if they aren't already there. Keep it simple. I'm not interested in the social part of it.

stevesbeer, thebee, AndreRus and 13 others like this.
  6. StoutAtTheDevil

StoutAtTheDevil Defender (601) Nov 17, 2013 Alabama
    Trader

This has been mentioned before, but it never hurts to ask again - I would love it if my individual beer stats would indicate which styles I've had and which states/countries I've had beer from.

7. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (154) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

This is good to hear because, while reading the forums is fine in my phone's browser, posting something is so painful that 9/10 times I skip it. Thought maybe it was my phone's browser (Android Dolphin), but I tried in a couple others and it's got the same issues.

Badfish likes this.
  8. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,285) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

An app is only going to be as good as the need it performs. So with that said the things that I'd like to see are;
    * Ability to upload pictures from the phone as picture submissions.
    * Ability to use location to suggest Places in the area & how far away.
    * Ability to check in to a location. Would love to know if another BA'er is at the same location as me.
    * Ability to leave tips or suggestions at a place. Reading the reviews is nice, but an app where users can leave a quick suggestion for future visitors would be useful.

9. ryanov

ryanov Initiate (133) Feb 16, 2008 New Jersey

I'm almost always looking for the best place around to buy beer or have a drink, or maybe where to find a specific beer. I already use Untappd for lots of other stuff. BeerMenus does some of this too, I guess, when places are up to date.

TonyLema1, kayecjones and dschmidt46 like this.
  10. AlpacaAlpaca

AlpacaAlpaca Defender (678) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

I'm happy to hear this news! I used the app a lot, and found myself using the mobile site much less. I really liked the search feature in the previous app that showed results (with pictures) as you typed. That helped determine that what you're looking at in the store is what you're looking at in the app!

11. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,790) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

This is something I've really wanted as well, even if it's just on the website.

12. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,790) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I would like the app to be able to search and find and maybe sort beers easily like @AlpacaAlpaca mentioned how the app was before, and maybe the whole list of beer styles, top beers, pretty much everything on the website, with an easy to find/click interface to get to each, and a Forums part that is easy to find each different forum and the different general sections and threads within. I think if an app was just a basic interface like how the top of the BA website is now, with everything listed and you can just click on to get to each part would be good, if that is possible. I like how the website is arranged right now. I think it would be good to have an app with a forum part and easy to find beers/places and nearby events, articles, etc.

VABA likes this.
  13. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,076) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

For the stuff close by, have you tried the Places -> Nearby functionality which came from the previous version of the app?

connecticutpoet likes this.
  14. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,966) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

What if they used a circular rating chart with five points like you sometimes find in beer journals?

You could touch in each of the five sections how highly you rate them all on one feature, which is easier than having five separate drop downs, but obviously not as simplistic as the Untappd five star scale.

That being said, I wouldn't want it to be like Untappd, and I don't use a smartphone when I review, so I'm okay with the separate dropdowns. But I think a circle chart would work best as an alternative for phone raters.

TheDoctor, MStoecker and BeerBeak81 like this.
  15. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,841) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Huzzah! My favorite feature from the old app was that it freed me from having to sign in. I didn't post on my phone or extensively use any of the features but I could always check to see reviews (and which beers I might have had before).

bubseymour likes this.
  16. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Yes. I would post photos on "What are you drinking now" but cannot stand the hassle of bouncing back between here and photobucket and trying multiple links to get it right. LAME.

17. hoochlovesbeer

hoochlovesbeer Initiate (41) Aug 28, 2006 Connecticut

Capability to scan barcodes and inventory beer bottles and cans. Lighting fast speed!

Cheers,
    Todd

18. joaopmgoncalves

joaopmgoncalves Meyvn (1,339) Dec 17, 2012 Portugal

For a BA app, there would be some key things I'd want to see implemented:

1. Shopping Helper - I want to see as fast as possible my Wants to browse on them by Brewery, Name, style, anything. I use my Wants a shopping list and most of the times I just want to know if a beer is still in my Wants or if I already drank it. I don't to stand in front of the beer shelves looking at my phone too much time.
    2. Quick Reviewer! - The site already does a reasonable job at this, but to pinpoint this issue, it's important to let users rate (with a full text review or not) a beer. The UX should be created in order to let the user add rates to as many beer as he's having - imagine a context of a festival, people sipping small amounts of beer and they just want to tag/rate/review these as fast as they can in a context of hurry, how should the UI be developed in order to help these people?
    3. Pic uploader - there's just one thing I don't like about the BA forum, it's that moment when you want to upload a picture to a forum but you have to upload it to Imgur, then go to your PC for the desktop interface so you can have the link that works on the image widget for the replies. It takes so much time and effort. A way to upload pictures from the phone directly to forums would be great.
    4. Friends - Sometimes I just want to know what my friends or beer pals have been drinking lately.
    At least the first 3 are very important to me as user and as a beer shopper/consumer.

Badfish, TonyLema1, TylerJ and 3 others like this.
  19. Mr_Clean

Mr_Clean Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Kentucky

Im always down to help beta test. I work in software dev, I know how to break things and make them better..cheers!

20. festizio

festizio Disciple (317) Feb 2, 2016 California

I'd love to be able to either 1) filter a brewery's list of beers down to the ones I've rated or 2) filter my rated beers by brewery. Subsequent sorting by average rating would be very useful.

I'll often be at a bottle shop or brewery and be curious which of their particular beers I've preferred in the past...currently there's no great way to get at that information that I'm aware of.

21. Lhuffhines

Lhuffhines Initiate (15) Oct 18, 2016 Tennessee

admittedly, I am no where near an expert on beer. I know what I like, I dont know what I dont. I use your site (via google) to look up the new cans and bottles that my local store may have. I read the reviews and look at the rankings (x out of 100). I want in an app that I can:

1. Easily search by beer name to see its info
    2. Mark said beer as a Favorite
    3. Perform a star rating on it in some way shape or form
    4. Login with my website credentials to save it.
    5. Browse beer by category and rankings to choose some I may want to look for in stores near me.

I would use the app to broaden my beer pallet and to document my journey.

Edit: @festizio makes a good point. If I find a beer I like, I would love to be able to see what other beers are offered from that brewery to see about trying them.

MFS_71, chumpy, MStoecker and 2 others like this.
  22. Greg_ehr

Greg_ehr Initiate (53) Sep 10, 2016 New York

23. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe Devotee (430) Mar 23, 2008 Illinois
    Society

Excited to hear Beer Advocate is revisiting the app. I used it often when away from home, like in a bottle shop or at a bar to get some background on a new beer I was trying. Really added some conext to the beer and the overall experience. I have not done that as much with the mobile site. Not sure why.

Lots of great suggestions already in this thread. I like the idea of being able to find or sort beers by region. That way, say I am visting another city the app could give me a quick overview of the local beers or brewers. Also, a list of new releases would be great. We all like to try something new, right?

No matter what, I would welcome back the app with open arms!

24. HawaiianTime

HawaiianTime Initiate (89) Jun 27, 2009 Washington

1. It would be great to be able keep track of beer I've tried and beer I have cellared.
    2. Be able to sort "my list" by style or other metadata.
    3. Location data for where one is drinking the beverage could be useful too, particularly when tasting will on a trip.
    4. Better fuzzy search algorithms. It sucks when you can't find a beer because you don't know how it was spelled or entered into the database.

TonyLema1 and MStoecker like this.
  25. Greg_ehr

Greg_ehr Initiate (53) Sep 10, 2016 New York

I would love too see a Beer Advocate app. In fact I'm very surprised that there isn't one already.
    I used to have windows phone and there was an app called Beer Me. It had all the beer I entered reviewed. Now I switched to an android and there are no good beer apps. I have a link to the website to check reviews on beer I try.
    I also subscribe to the magazine but an app where you can save all the beers you try would be awesome.

26. PhilDicarlo

PhilDicarlo Initiate (77) May 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Absolutely this!!

Glad to hear it's back on the table. Even just for access to beer reviews and not necessarily the forums

jefferson111 and tmac like this.
  27. TigerMouth61

TigerMouth61 Initiate (60) Nov 28, 2012 Massachusetts

This is not specifically an app issue, but I would like to see beers always rated on the 100 scale. Sometimes (when a beer doesn't have enough reviews) the beer is rated out of 5, e.g., Melvin Brewings Shaolin is rated 4.49. You can't simply multiply by 20 to get the 100 scale score. E.g., Harpoon IPA has an average rating of 3.63, but its BA Score is 82.

Brent212, kayecjones and tmac like this.
  28. tepie

tepie Initiate (86) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Not sure I am like everyone else, but I use beer advocate for discussion mostly, then untapped for logging, tracking and search. It'd be nice if there was some integration between the sites. Most of the mentioned features are available on untapped already.

29. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (817) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Barcode scanner. Yes, yes, yes.

connecticutpoet and tmac like this.
  30. flyerzrule

flyerzrule Devotee (442) Apr 29, 2010 California
    Society

I didn't like that on the ap users could rate beers without writing a description. Untapped already has user ratings - I come to BA for the beer descriptions because I think BA likely has a slightly more knowledgable user base. A feature that sorts beer stores or bars by my location (or even if I had to manually type an address) would be useful, too.

MStoecker likes this.
  31. HawaiianTime

HawaiianTime Initiate (89) Jun 27, 2009 Washington

Partner relationship with Untapped would be great since I am frequently jumping between the two apps anyway as I'm sure many of your other members do.

tompearson and tepie like this.
  32. hrbrt

hrbrt Initiate (61) Jun 19, 2013 Indiana

I would focus less on the social aspect (I see you, Untappd) of the app and more on an app that can be used as a reference guide and historical data of our beers (+offline mode would be great). Much like the now defunct TapCellar for iOS. LOVED that app. Access to forums would be excellent but I really don't care who likes what, etc.

MStoecker and connecticutpoet like this.
  33. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,561) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I enjoyed the app, but have been pretty happy with the site functionality. The only thing I really miss is the ability to see beer pics next to the names.

With that said, I would love to see some of these features incorporated into the new app:

1. Photos/images playing a more prominent part in the interface
    2. Data/metadata manipulation: being able to easily sort data (i.e., by state, brewery, style, country, dates had, etc).
    3. More dynamic user interface for tracking and logging hads/wants (i.e., a modern, flowing user experience and interaction with the app)
    4. Geo-tagging of beers

Looking forward to it!

34. rblib

rblib Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2014 California

Using Untapped as guide wouldn't be a bad idea. The exception would be that you could allow more descriptive review content (words) while Untapped is limited in this area. Thanks.

35. jaydoc

jaydoc Poo-Bah (4,230) Nov 12, 2008 Kansas
    Society Trader

Key features that I think would benefit most users:

Barcode scanning
    Active search with population of beer and picture while typing
    I'm very happy to hear this. Although the BA app was limited in features, it was much more friendly for on-the-go use, especially while shopping in liquor stores.

I look forward to seeing what new features may be added.

ian_graf and connecticutpoet like this.
  36. A-Sox

A-Sox Aspirant (256) Feb 18, 2014 Rhode Island

When I pull up a brewery, I can see a list of all their beers with the Avg rating for each, but I can't see my rating unless I go into each specific beer. I would love to have my rating for each individual beer prominent on the main brewery beer list page. Thanks!

jaydoc, festizio, cryptichead and 2 others like this.
  37. nbnrtx

nbnrtx Initiate (78) Apr 14, 2009 New Jersey

I'd like more info on local beers in states I may visit. For instance, I'm going to Indianapolis. There are many local breweries with very few reviews and I'm not sure which beers are worth checking out. Maybe, you could have a list of the top 10 beers in any small city, or something that helps us find the really worthwhile ones. Thanks!

38. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (10,302) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Since I travel a lot, a mapping function that shows the location of all places listed in the directory would be my #1 request. Incorporate it into Google maps so I can access driving directions.

39. snasca

snasca Initiate (31) Aug 11, 2016 Washington

Great news. There are certain wine apps that allow you to take a picture with your phone and receive rating information very quickly. It would be great if the Beer Advocate app could do something like this.

40. Bieronysus

Bieronysus Initiate (65) Mar 14, 2011 Canada

I've been doing the beer cellar thing for a couple of years now. I recall talk of you including this in your app. I would very much like to see this. I've tried other apps, without much success.

Whenever I've purchased something to age, I check "Got". Where do I go to see my list of "Gots"?

ian_graf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.