BeerAdvocate App [Revisited]

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellindril

ellindril Zealot (536) May 7, 2007 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

What I really want is a quick tasting notes. Happy Face, Neutral, Sad Face and the ability to easily mark that it was hoppy, tart, heavy, boozy etc.

I also want a quick search that lets me quickly record my thoughts & also find my reviews (and other people's) quickly and easily.
    It might also be cool to have a barcode scanner so I can quickly log my notes by scanning the bottle bar code or check what I thought of a beer by scanning the barcode.

That is what I want most out of an app.

Aside from that accessing messages, beer trading, and reviews while I'm at a packy to help me make and informed decision would be cool.

2. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,881) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

What I've missed most from the old app is an autofill when searching for a beer by name. It was easier, faster, and more forgiving than the search here on the website. Being able to upload pics through the app would be nice, as well as a location based "What's nearby" that could open in Maps.

neenerzig likes this.
  3. BeerMeColorado

BeerMeColorado Initiate (175) Sep 21, 2013 Colorado

Now that MegaBeerVoltron has gobbled up RateBeer your new app will be in high demand and will hopefully gain you a lot of new subscribers! I guess the battle will be between you and Untappd possibly...hope you come out on top! Hate Untappd. Ditto for that POS sellout. Power to the craft beer people! Power to the ethics of journalism!! Power to the independent craft breweries. FREEDOM!
    (Tragically a pro Brewer

neenerzig and CrimeDog like this.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,198) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Yeah, I think a combined BeerAdvocate + BeerMenus would be really competitive with Untappd to fill multiple niches of the market.

5. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (273) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I just want to be able to access the site when I'm not in my living room at the desktop. That's all. I want to look at forum posts, I don't really care about ratings or stats, just threads I'm following.

6. Todd

Todd Founder (6,141) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

You can do this now. Our forum is specifically designed to scale for mobile browsers.

Badfish, Tripel_Threat and Bitterbill like this.
  7. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Champion (878) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

I can't login with the BA app, with my iPhone, anyone more problems with this, or am i the only one??

8. Todd

Please read the post and related app updates.

neenerzig and Dutchcraftbeergeek like this.
  9. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Okay, thank you.

10. Itsmedalime

Itsmedalime Initiate (43) Apr 28, 2016 California

I saw and agree with a lot of good suggestions here. Just an app that is just another easy-to-navigate version of the website. An easy way to get notifications. Also would like the ability to upload pictures with submissions. Yes it would be great if there could be a partnering with Beermenus or Taphunter or some sort of similar service, but that would just be a bonus. That sort of service only works if establishments stay up-to-date, and they'll only do that if the app is hot and will bring in business

11. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Now i can't find it anymore in the app store :S

12. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

The original version of the app has been removed - BeerAdvocate was soliciting input for a new version of the app to come in the future. For now, one can use the site pretty well from a mobile device.

13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,502) Mar 7, 2013 Canada
    Society Trader

It works incredibly well on mobile in my opinion! I have gotten used to it now so I take for granted that I don't have to zoom in and out constantly like before.

VABA and Badfish like this.
  14. GKBrown

GKBrown Initiate (26) Jan 14, 2015 Massachusetts

Any update on when the RFP will be posted?

15. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,028) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

- Instant access to brewers, bars or stores in the area you want to search for and how you can quickly see which are the highest rated. Would be great for traveling so you don't have to research so much beforehand...land in a city, get a rental car, click on the BA app to find the top brewers in the area, then quickly enter the place of choice it in Waze or Garmin etc. and off you go.

- What positives that are good about Untappd to try to replicate with BA App IMO:
    1) speed to quickly find the beer / place and rate it quickly so you can be sociable and not fooling too long with your smartphone/laptop
    2) with #1 hopefully get alot more traffic like Untappd so you aren't the 1st person always entering new beers (one of me BA pet peeves lately)

Negatives about Untappd I suggest not to replicate:
    1) "look at me, where I'm drinking a beer" social media part of Untappd t is just lame and juvenile. Don't do that part of it. Also those badges for everything are so "middle-school". Don't make it like Angry Birds/Candy Crush
    2) Untappd limits the characters for reviews to be much too short IMO

Other:
    Make sure to be able to get quick access to all of your beer & place ratings. Love the new column with your ratings next to the breweries beer lineup

wilymobastardo and sulldaddy like this.
  16. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,816) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

My two cents, been on BA since 2010, always used it on my phone's browser, not the app when it was available (although I did download it), have no issues with using the site on my phone's browser now either.

17. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

#97 drtth, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  18. Stoutmeister

Stoutmeister Aspirant (223) Mar 9, 2014 Massachusetts

I, like many others, see beer advocate as the beer drinkers bible. I want to be able to look up a beer at a moment's notice to see if it's worth buying or drinking. Same goes for finding a good pub or restaurant, globally. An app that we can input a beer/town/pub and see a rating is invaliable.

19. HotDogBikeRide

HotDogBikeRide Devotee (416) Dec 26, 2015 Texas

I really loved the BeerAdvocate app. It made quick reviewing and note-taking possible, it does take quite a minute longer to access the site through a browser. Also, because I clear cookies so much, I miss being able to be instantly logged in and ready to go. So looking forward to the revamped version. Cheers.

Stoutmeister and bbtkd like this.
  20. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (223) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I've really enjoyed this site since I joined earlier this year, and on a whim decided to check the Apple Store for an app, and to my surprise there wasn't one. Just would like to hear from the community if this is something you are interested in as well. And if there is one in development, anyone hear anything about the progress?

21. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,634) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

it went down a year ago I think. The bros disabled it for some reasons.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  22. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (641) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

The TL;DR translation of the link above: The mobile-friendly version of BeerAdvocate.com has everything and more than the app would have/had.

23. Todd

I've merged your thread into the existing one on this topic. Take a moment to give it a read.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  24. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (920) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Except for the Map, which was the best feature of the App IMO.

Having said that, the responsive design of the web site works great on a mobile device.

Witherby likes this.
  25. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Are you talking about the Places -> Nearby feature which was ported to the site from the old app?

26. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (680) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I'm not gonna lie, Untappd already has (nearly) everything I want in a beer app with one exception. Distribution info.

There was a site I used to use where I could pick two states (the one I live in and one that I'm visiting) to see which beers were distro'd in both states and which ones were unique to each. It was massively helpful in discovering new breweries when traveling. That site isn't up to date anymore (at least that I'm aware of). If the revamped BA app had something like that, it would give me a major excuse to use it over Untappd. Otherwise, I'll probably stick to Untappd for beer ratings and info and BA strictly for the forums.

AyatollahGold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.