Brewing Activities (2021)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by wasatchback, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (410) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

2021 Batch 1

Another attempt at using Philly Sour for a quick fruited sour beer. Going to up the pitch rate and add more dextrose to see if I can get more stone fruit and less apple. Want to love this yeast. 3rd attempt with it.

2. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,397) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Got a dual regulator, so am able to have two taps running finally. Kegged some sparkling mineral water filtered through our Berkey. Makes for a good recovery beverage. The keg of coffee stout is going fast, so ordered ingredients for a rye saison/rye pale ale of sorts, split batch. Pils, flaked rye, white wheat. All Amarillo, and the pale ale will get 2 oz Nelson as dry hop. Let’s hope for a great 2021!

3. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Just ran my new mash and boil with a little circulation pump during the mash. Made a Pilsner with 100% pils, distilled water with 8 grams of calciumchloride, 7 grams gypsum, herbsbrucker throughout the boil. Pitching 34/70 slurry I made a starter with yesterday.

The mash and boil was programmed to have the water at strike temp when I woke up. It was amazing. Got right up to a boil no problem. Easy to clean. Loved the whole day. Then put it into my brand new anvil bucket fermenter.

4. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (499) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Just mashed in on the first beer of 2021, a Maibock!

Will be complete with a Hochkurz step, double decoction mash. OG expected at 1.072. Large pitch of 2206. Hopped with Gr. Magnum, Perle and Tettnanger.

First time I have done a decoction in years, I'm excited to see how the end result comes out.

5. invertalon

Trader

Meant to add some pics... But missed the edit window!

Below is the boil of decoction #1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,003) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

^ It looks like you are boiling wort (sans grains)?

7. invertalon

Trader

Just realized I had uploaded the wrong pic, that was right before I scooped some of the grain in there. First one I was doing quite thin. Second one will be thicker.

So yeah, basically just wort at that point in the picture, haha. Oops!

Jasonja1474 and VikeMan like this.
  8. Prep8611

I always assumed you had some fancy electrical system. Beautiful kitchen btw

9. wasatchback

Trader

Saison today

First beer with 585 and I’m very much looking forward to it. Not a huge fan of a lot of Saison yeasts and tend to brew and drink more Brett forward Saisons but this yeast has me intrigued. Trying a bunch of different saison strains in the next few months. Used the Fantome yeast a few months ago, trying 585 today, hopefully ECY08 next..

Pils
    30% Unmalted Spelt
    2% Acidulated

French Triskel at 60/5

No dry hopping or Brett just straight saison that I’ll probably lager for a month then bottle condition in a mix of green and brown glass.

SABERG, BetaAcid, MrOH and 7 others like this.
  10. qjholler

qjholler Initiate (82) Mar 23, 2018 New Mexico

First brew of the year, first brew on my Foundry. Sitting here waiting for it to reach a boil right now.

For 5.5 gallons:

~10lbs Maris Otter
    ~1.5lbs malted oats
    1oz Wai-Iti at 60/10/FO

Splitting the batch - half will get US-05 and the other half Philly Sour.

This was supposed to be 50/50 Maris Otter and white wheat, but my local shop was completely out of wheat so I haphazardly adjusted the grain bill to the above. Measurements are best guesses because their mill broke down partway through the crush, so I took the uncrushed grain and topped it off with mostly Maris Otter. Thankfully my own mill arrived the day after I went to the shop so I was able to use that.

Between that whole situation and this being my first go with the Foundry, I'm gonna name this beer "Tempered Expectations" - seems fitting.

11. invertalon

Trader

Just wrapped up the brew day... My final OG ended up being 1.082 (10 points higher than expected!). Really good efficiency, as expected, but I still missed the mark there even throwing extra margin on the efficiency due to decoction. Also, boil-off was higher as well (pre-boil was 6 points off, post was 10). Fun fun!

Probably looking at a finished beer in the range of 8-9% ABV when it's all complete. Will pull my FFT tomorrow and have the results of that in a few days. Curious how this one turns out, will find out when I tap the finished product in early March!

12. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (419) May 2, 2006 Utah

Cleaning and sanitizing my three kegs today, in anticipation of filling one tomorrow with Brown Ale, and brewing up a DIPA, which will go onto the Notty yeast cake of the Brown. Cheers!

13. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Just finished up a brew day attempting to perfect my house pale ale.

Golden Promise, Wheat, Oats, C10
    Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe
    Omega DIPA/WY1318

Also transferred a wild fermented cider onto sweet/tart cherries and cab grape skins.

14. invertalon

Trader

Just tapped the new IPL!

5.2% and 37 IBU.

This was hopped with Ella and a touch of Nelson in the dry hop only. Really love these two hops together (first time). While I was nervous using so much Ella (given I didn't love the aroma out of the bag) they really proved me wrong. This is quite epic, extremely happy with the end result!

Fermented with 830.

[​IMG]

15. wasatchback

Trader

Just mashed in the second brew of the day.

First was a pretty traditional Pils. Targeting a little higher FG just to see what it’s like.
    Barke Pils
    4% Carafoam
    2% Acidulated
    Saphir/Kazbek FW, 70, 30
    German Lager x
    1.012 hopefully
    4.8-5%

2nd one is a Dark Mild.

Solstice “Mild” malt (local Maltster)
    8% Bairds Medium
    5% Torrified Wheat
    3% Crisp Roast Barley
    12% invert No 2
    Wlp030
    EKG
    HBC472 @ 10 for hopefully some oaky/Vanilla notes.
    1.038/1.010

SABERG, Davl22, qjholler and 8 others like this.
  16. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,941) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I kegged the beer that I brewed on Christmas. FG was 1.008; batch size 2.5 gallons. The nearly 2 year old dried kviek (which got stepped up in a small starter from 1g of dry flakes of Mysterium Ehwaz Nordic strain) seemed sluggish after pitching into the wort, with little activity after 48 hours, so I direct pitched 1g of dry flakes of Mysterium Sowuli Lithuanian strain. In 12 more hours, it was chugging away.

Final gravity tasting thoughts:
    I took ~3/4 cup of uncarbonated beer to measure FG. The Metolius malt is dominant, so it really does not come across as a cream ale. I don't pick up on the corn, but the air-popped popcorn did seem to convert in the mash, so maybe I'll try it again in a cream ale with just a 2 row pale malt. There are slight licorice and peach note. My perception of the peach could be biased by the yeast descriptions. I wondered if the licorice is yeast derived as I thought I tasted it in another kveik strain brew. Given that licorice flavor is a plant-derived essential oils, I might have thought it would have to do with hops, but the hops between the two beers are different and licorice seldom comes up in hop flavor descriptions. One other time I have described licorice flavors was in an old ale fermented with Windsor and Brett C.

17. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (530) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

brewed first light stout on the first.
    8 lb marris otter
    .5 lb roasted barley
    3 oz black patent
    4 oz bairds chocolate malt
    3 oz dark munich
    4 oz L40
    northern brewer 1 oz @60 and 10
    notty slurry
    Starting gravity 1.052

3 oz nibs, half a k cup of dark magik coffe and 2 oz each of sugar maple and oak soaked in bourbon in the secondary for 5 days.

SABERG, Davl22, Jasonja1474 and 6 others like this.
  18. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (444) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

19. deadwolfbones

Society

In other news, I've got a rye wine that I made a couple weeks ago. I used Voss slurry from a batch 2 weeks prior and it took off like gangbusters but stopped around 1.030 (from 1.096) and has been sitting there for more than a week. I've tried rousing, heating, and adding some US-05, and it's stayed put. I'd really like to get it down to 1.020 or lower. Any other suggestions?

20. wasatchback

Trader

Dry hopped a Pale Ale with Mosaic, Strata, Centennial. Trying the short and cold method for the first time. 24 hours at 39.

Also dry hopped a little blonde ale with a small amount of Strata and Centennial a little warmer but only going to give it 24 hours before cooling.

21. qjholler

Ended up too busy being lazy at the end of my brew day on Saturday to actually use my immersion chiller, so this ended up being another no-chill batch. Transferred the wort into two fermenters yesterday and pitched US-05 into one (left) and Philly sour into the other (right). Hit the US-05 batch with another ounce of Wai-Iti today. It's interesting to see the color differences between the two (worth noting that it was like that pre dry hop too). US-05 is going wild - almost constant bubbling in the airlock. Philly sour is a bit more restrained.

I swear I'll stop cutting corners with my process someday...

[​IMG]

#21 qjholler, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  22. pweis909

Society

Brett?

MrOH likes this.
  23. Prep8611

That’s a lot of headspace

24. qjholler

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have smaller fermenters for splitting batches. I know it's far from ideal but this is more of an experimental batch than something I'm really trying to dial in (although I know for the sake of the scientific process I should have my variables as stable as possible). Next up will be something more by-the-book that actually fills a fermenter lol

Jasonja1474 and Prep8611 like this.
  25. deadwolfbones

Society

I mean, as a last resort, sure. :grinning:

I did just add some fresh Voss, rouse it, and heat it up a lil. We'll see if that does anything.

Bean-O is also an option.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  26. deadwolfbones

Society

Never had an issue with headspace. I frequently ferment 3 gal batches in a 7 gal fermenter.

qjholler likes this.
  27. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (168) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Where's Jbaka. Need a new what u drinking. I want to post my choc/coff porter.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  28. VikeMan

Society

I don't think JB is a moderator these days. Anyway, I just now started an unauthorized 2021 thread.

SABERG, Jasonja1474, Prep8611 and 2 others like this.
  29. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (168) Dec 25, 2015 New York

GP,D.Munich,Caramunich lll,White wheat malt w/Glacier, Haller Blanc and Mosaic Cyro later.

[​IMG]

SABERG, Lukass, qjholler and 5 others like this.
  30. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Bag or no bag for the hops?

31. wasatchback

Trader

never bagged

GormBrewhouse, OddNotion and Davl22 like this.
  32. pweis909

Society

Yeah, I don't know what you might want out of the beer. To me rye wine sounds like it might make a nice brett beer, but clearly that was not your original design. The scenario evoked my memory of using one of the low attenuating Lallemand strains in an old ale (Windsor, I think), with a Brett secondary (which was planned and appropriate for an old ale). Brett took about 15 points, and the beer was great.

33. skleice

skleice Aspirant (295) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Brewing up a gf NEIPA today (as long as fedex arrives in time with my hops!).

Biscuit Rice 4L
    Oats
    Quinoa
    Goldfinch millet

Citra at 60
    Citra at 10
    Nectaron & Citra WP
    Nectaron & Citra DH

Verdant at .5g/L

I'm excited to try Nectaron after reading some great reviews. Also interested to see how lowering the pitch rate will impact the final beer.

34. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,397) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

I think as long as you keep the bung/airlock tight on them after they have fermented out, you'll be fine. Especially if you're considering kegging/bottling these batches in the standard 2-3 weeks.

MrOH, qjholler, riptorn and 1 other person like this.
  35. qjholler

That's the plan! Good to know that it shouldn't have too many adverse effects.

On a related note, I really appreciate the consistent feedback and advice shared in this community. It's been super helpful to scroll through all the past threads for ideas. Plus this way I don't have to bore my girlfriend to death by talking to her about brewing.

36. wasatchback

Trader

Checking some gravities

Beer with 2 packs of Philly Sour went from 1.048 to 1.013 in 5 days. pH down to 3.16 and the “yeast” has really started to flocc. Two days ago it smelled like green jolly ranchers. Which sounds bad but it actually wasn’t, a bit different now. This yeast definitely smells “wild” to me. Not like Brett but something else completely. Not sure I could make an unfruited beer with this but with enough fruit it’s pretty interesting

37. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (530) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Dry hopping a pale ale

riptorn, Prep8611 and Jasonja1474 like this.
  38. Prep8611

I have 5 full kegs and 3 full fermenters and yet I want to brew again today. May whip up an ipa with pils and oats. Maybe some citra, mosaic, and Sabro.

39. Yungcoolship

Yungcoolship Initiate (110) Aug 16, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

Finished up packaging a mixed culture saison that I brewed back in September of 2019. It was a pretty simple malt bill of 80% Belgian pilsner and 20% red wheat. I co-pitched Hordinal Kviek and a Lacto blend at 90f and let free fall before pitching brett brux. After letting this one bulk age for over a year I decided not to blend it and to bottle condition it with local wildflower honey.

https://imgur.com/a/3KnAVor
    [​IMG]

GetMeAnIPA, Eggman20, Davl22 and 8 others like this.
  40. VikeMan

Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.