Canned Beer, What about BPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beerinchapelhill, Apr 20, 2015.

?

Cans or Bottles?

Poll closed May 20, 2015.
  1. Prefer Bottles

8.6%
  2. Prefer Cans

44.3%
  3. Either is fine

47.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beerinchapelhill

beerinchapelhill Initiate (78) Sep 16, 2011 North Carolina

Five friends and I did blind taste tests of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale out of a glass, and none of us could taste any difference between the stuff from cans and the stuff from bottles. So I admit that modern cans don’t have that metallic taste. However, I am reading the reason they no longer have that taste is because they are now lined with lined with BPA-containing resin, and BPA is banned by the FDA, the European Union, and Canada in baby bottles, so it sounds like BPA is less than perfect from a health standpoint. I think I will stick to bottles unless I am going somewhere that will make glass a problem, like poolside. What does everybody else think?

twb0392, chrismattlin and Providence like this.
  2. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,789) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

Something is going get us al in the end, it most likely be the alcohol before any can lining in a lot of our cases... Not sweating it...

3. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,132) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium

4. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 California

SnaxStL likes this.
  5. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (417) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I prefer cans if it's a beer that makes sense to drink from the can, and if it's a beer that I'd rather pour I don't care. For example I will drink Nooner from the can but will always pour Old Chub into a glass.

IPAandGreenChile and WesMantooth like this.
  6. marquis

marquis Crusader (760) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

7. jsrose16

jsrose16 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Illinois

Less light exposure=better beer. I used to be all about bottles but I've gradually started liking cans more. As for the lining, I'm not worried. Apparently, everything in this world is toxic to you now-a-days.

8. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,591) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Fuck they're going to find out that breathing is toxic soon enough.

9. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,370) Oct 13, 2007 California

Hmmm.... I wouldn't use the European Union as a source for science. These same folks also told us the water does not hydrate, and tried to ban to sight of olive oil in dipping bowls.

10. Reneejane

Reneejane Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2004 Illinois

Technically, bpa is in the bottle cap, too.

machalel, Ranbot, donspublic and 2 others like this.
  11. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (310) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

I'm all for lowering my exposure to dangerous chemicals, but if you're concerned about tiny amounts of something like BPA that "may be harmful", perhaps you should evaluate your consumption of ethanol, which is "definitely harmful" and is actually proven to cause bodily harm.

12. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I'm not saying BPA is good or BPA is bad, I have no idea. I've wanted more information about it, especially because I tend to prefer canned beer, but I haven't read enough info to date so I can't come to a conclusion yet (or possibly ever, given that measuring the impact of BPA could prove to be problematic). But that's not the point of my response here. My response is to laugh heartily at those who say, "Everything's bad for you" or "something's gotta to kill us in the end" or "one day something's bad for you, the next it's not, so who cares?" These responses are essentially saying that it is useless to be concerned with such things. While I agree that people can go way overboard with being concerned about health issues (in very scary ways), you can't lump all health concerns in as one big boogey man that a bunch of scared people are afraid of. Imagine if your kids' pediatrician was smoking Camel no-filters in the examing room, blowing smoke into your kids mug as they check her/his heartbeat. You'd be livid and would certainly say something. Would the doctor, a medical professional with more knowledge than most mind you, be justified in saying, "Hey, something's gotta kill us, right?" while s/he puffed away?

So if your pro-BPA or anti-BPA, that's cool. But don't hate on people who are interested in the debate. Just because you don't care, it doesn't mean it still isn't important to some (and it also doesn't mean the impact won't effect you).

I applaud the OP for starting this discussion. I do have some concerns about BPA, but I also prefer to drink from cans. So I am interested in the topic.

#12 Providence, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Mojo, UpDog, paulys55 and 6 others like this.
  13. scott10010

scott10010 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2011 North Carolina

I read up on BPA after having kids. Seems like it is a much larger issue when the container lined with BPA is heated. I've stopped microwaving leftovers in the plastic tupperware type containers for the most part. I'm less concerned about a cold beer can. It hasn't affected my decision to buy a beer and when it comes to bottles/cans.

14. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,647) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Here is a statement by one of the Brewing Companies that choosed to use cans as well as bottles. The seem to have done their due diligence before making a decision to can beer.

http://www.newbelgium.com/Community/Blog/08-06-19/Speaking-of-CANS.aspx

15. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,226) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I don't share my beer with babies so I am ok with a little bit of BPA

WesMantooth, Phocion, Brenden and 4 others like this.
  16. Reneejane

OK.
    I'll try to answer your question as to why people are blowing this off.

Ethanol is a group 1 carcinogen. [1]
    BPA is not able to be classified as a carcinogen at this time, so it's Group 3. [2]
    The dose makes the poison. The more you have the more dangerous it can be. The amount of alcohol in your beer is listed on the label, but if it's beer it's more than 4%.
    Comparatively, BPA measures at 5 ng/mL in the liquid contained in a can that's lined with BPA. [3]

I hope that is a good summary.

1: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...cinogens/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens
    2. http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol71/mono71-71.pdf
    3. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/026520301446412#.VTWAGZOWPIU

JakerLou, machalel, Roguer and 4 others like this.
  17. Providence

I think you're giving people too much credit. They're likely blowing this off because it makes them use that thing that's at the top of their neck and just underneath their hair.

chrismattlin likes this.
  18. Reneejane

oh and I read the New Belgium response about how BPA is estrogenic.

It is. But hops are more estrogenic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10372741

I guess the point is, again the dose makes the poison. The amount of beer you'd have to ingest to get enough bpa to endocrine disrupt or cause toxicity in your body is not attainable, because the beer would kill you itself, first from alcohol poisoning. The estrogenic effect of hops is probably cumulative, and worse than what you get from the bpa.

Roguer, Sludgeman, DonicBoom and 2 others like this.
  19. Reneejane

Well, I appreciate that you read my comment. It's interesting that you choose to comment on the quality of the posters who have chosen to comment to you, rather than the content of my post. Did my answer make sense to you? (also the 2nd part about estrogen).

20. Providence

Your comment made no sense at all to me, as I didn't ask about why "people are blowing this off." As for the content of your post, I appreciate the links to the information. Thanks. Additionally, I haven't commented on those who have commented on me, because no one has commented on me. I merely made a statement that I thought it was silly to dismiss this type of conversation.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  21. russpowell

Premium Trader

Until how food is brought to the table in this country changes ( never ), I'm not sweating can linings. So many other bigger tangible threats to out lives, like morons driving down the road looking at their damn cell phones when they are supposed to be driving or the fact they stick an RF radiation source right next to their brains. I worked around liquid fueled nuke missiles for 4 years, if I don't die of the big C, I will be shocked.

To me worrying about BPA in cans is the equivalent of worrying about a mosquito in your tent while there are wolves outside...

SammyJaxxxx, PJ_ and Ranbot like this.
  22. Reneejane

yeah, you never know. there's no magic eight ball for our futures. I fell into a room of asbestos as a kid, literally all over me. No lung lesions.

23. russpowell

Premium Trader

Supposedly as long as it isn't broken down into friable material its okay. I worked in Air Force Communications sites that had to have that material removed. The body is fairly good at rejecting some threats to bee sure. Others, usually it seems like the long-term exposure is what does you in...

24. oldsailor

oldsailor Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 Connecticut

I'm a fan of the convenience that cans provide, and the BPA's haven't been a concern...guess I'll take my chances on some things in life.

riverlen likes this.
  25. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (545) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Yup... we've been down this road before...
    Another old thread BPA was discussed: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/cans.53833/
    Sierra Nevada has also comments on BPA in cans in the FAQ on their website: http://www.sierranevada.com/faq

FWIW, I'm an environmental consultant and it always amazes me the things people get worked up over and then disregard other more much significant health risks because they are more familiar to them. Fear of the unknown is stronger than the fear of the known in many cases.

machalel, TEKNISHE, AntG21 and 3 others like this.
  26. Providence

Quality analogy for sure and it gave me a chuckle.

I would caution against saying the word "never" in regards to policies around food/drink getting to the table. The entire "system" so to speak, doesn't need to change in order to make an adjustment with a problem ingredient/process (assuming BPA is a problem, which of course, it may not be). When consumers put enough pressure on those that supply products, changes happen. If enough people were upset about BPA, it'd be gone in no time.

But that's irrelevant, as what I really want to say is this beer's for you and a toast to you not getting the big C (seriously man).

russpowell likes this.
  27. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,275) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

Check out this thread from February, too... Poll: Bottle or Can?

IPAandGreenChile and JLaw55 like this.
  28. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,599) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

I was always under the belief that the BPA's leak out when exposed to high heat or abuse. I cook in one of the water bath contraptions, so I always steer clear of bags made with BPA. As for beer, don't heat it up, don't crunch the can with beer in it and you should be ok.

Maybe this explains why I feel kinda woosie after drinking a lot of canned beer. I will have to switch back to the corked bottles. Thanks for this article. This symptom has been plaguing me for years

29. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,299) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I much rather prefer cans if the same beer is bottled or canned I'd grab the canned. I like the convenience of it and there's no light to get in or carbonation to escape from a cap. I'll pour it in a glass if it's a beer to be poured on that occasion, but you favorite style being Pilsner, American ambers and Vienna style lagers, a can is much better to prevent any skunkyness

riverlen and Providence like this.
  30. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (109) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Yes, you are exactly right. BPAs are harmful and you def should not be drinking those cans of beer. PM me and I'll give you my address. Ship all those poisonous (unopened) beers to me and I'll be sure they are disposed of properly.

31. Providence

Could you say a bit more about that? What happens, when does it happen?

32. Harlan_Pepper

Harlan_Pepper Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Indiana

You should try that test with something in a green or clear bottle that's been sitting at a store under UV light for a couple of weeks. You will clearly taste the difference.

33. jtg5678

jtg5678 Initiate (144) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois

As pointed out earlier, anything is poisonous in large enough doses. Did you know that dihydrogen monoxide makes up over 90% of most beers and is fatal if consumed in large enough quantities?

BPA is a non-factor in cans. I just hope "Food Babe" doesn't get ahold of this and unleash more of her pseudoscience.

russpowell likes this.
  34. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,599) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Meant to justify the symptoms of me drinking too much :wink:. I know have a culprit to blame it on. I am going to start telling my wife I am overly sensitive to BPA

Providence and riverlen like this.
  35. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,180) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Premium Trader

The title of the thread led me to believe that Ommegang was going to offer BPA in cans. That would be awesome.

36. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,680) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

For the most part I pour into a glass, so it really doesn't matter....cans are lighter and take up less room...so I might lean that way, do cans keep beer fresher longer?

riverlen likes this.
  37. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (1,907) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Premium

BTW, breathing is toxic! Your body creates formaldehyde which is expired in your breath at levels higher than some scientists believe is safe.

I've said this before, consider the relative risk of what you do. If you are worried about the BPA in your can liner, then you should not drinking, driving (especially in stop and go traffic), or going out on Saturday night (drunk drivers).

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  38. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (536) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

I think this helps explain a lot of the manboobs I've seen at beer festivals.

FanofHefe and Ranbot like this.
  39. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (498) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Death is unavoidable.

I'm more inclined to not be selfish about things which are inconclusive and seem more witch-hunt driven and look at the issue in terms of how much extra pollution is created by shipping in bottles due to the extra weight load bottles bring with them.

TEKNISHE and russpowell like this.
  40. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,029) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Which puts bald neck beards into a physiological meltdown ...

Providence likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.