Craft Adjunct Lagers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by unlikelyspiderperson, Oct 12, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Caveat - I did not personally drink the beer, but in the photos I saw online it does appear to be darker:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I had a grissette that fonta flora brewed with bloody butcher corn and it had just a little.blush to it. The red from the corn was probably enhanced by how light colored the rest of the grain bill was. Very pretty beer

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Does anyone have a solid handle on what a Mexican Lager is supposed to be? Some have lime and some not.

It seems to me that the no-lime ones are just a way of selling an AAL without explicitly calling it that. They're usually pretty good ones, too. :sunglasses:

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Michael, FWIW that is my opinion here.

Some folks seem to view Mexican brewed AAL beers (e.g., Corona) as being a premium product and the US craft breweries are 'leveraging' this aspect to brand their AAL beers as being Mexican Lagers (e.g., Sierra Nevada Sierraveza) and thereby pricing them high(er).

IMO Hamms is a high quality AAL and at less than 15 bucks a 30 pack it is a great deal (again IMO).

Cheers!

5. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, and Narragansett is not quite that cheap but the same principle applies.

6. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Pundit (907) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

There has been quite a few wild rice beers around MN. A few are brown ales which are delicious.

Bitterbill and Singlefinpin like this.
  7. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Pundit (907) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

That's a fact though.

8. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Pooh-Bah (2,400) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Back in the 1970's from 1973-1977 was living in Hawaii, Oahu, and Primo was the only beer I could afford. After it was revived, I found a few six packs in Florida, just as bad as I remembered!
    Unfortunately I think it's come to an end once again.

officerbill, nc41 and Bitterbill like this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Mason Jar brews one, it’s really good too, no lime. They make a mosaic pils, but the Mexican lager is a different beer, and I suspect their fresh Mexican Lager would be killer in the beach.

Bitterbill and TongoRad like this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Odell brewed, in collaboration with Accomplice and the Rib and Chop House, a Mexican Lager that I had 2 pints of. I could not detect any corn and I don't know if there are any adjuncts(beer isn't even listed on their website, also not on the Accomplice website) so I entered it as an American Pale Lager. If it turns out to be an AAL, how I'd find that out I'll never know, it would move up the ranks for the style.

TongoRad likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

If you are so motivated you could reach out to Odell and ask whether they used any adjuncts (e.g., corn) to brew this beer.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Cheers!

TongoRad, FBarber and Bitterbill like this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Good idea, Jack. I will make it so.
    I just emailed them.

#32 Bitterbill, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    FBarber and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Jean-Luc would be proud of you!:slight_smile:

[​IMG]

meefmoff, officerbill, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  14. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Maven (1,478) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Conrad Seipp's great-great-great-granddaughter partnered with Metropolitan Brewing on Seipp's Extra Pale, a Pre-Prohibition Pilsner using "traditional North American malted barley, corn, and heritage hops varieties" (according to the press release).

@jesskidden I know I've seen you reference Seipp's as one of the big brewers in the late-1800s. I don't know how close this version is to the original, but it is a very fine beer. Easy-drinking at 4.5% ABV and a solid balance between biscuity malts and an earthy, almost herbal bitterness. Fairly light carbonation makes it a smooth but very flavorful beer.

15. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

Both DC Brau and Right Proper have done beers in collaboration with Heurich House (the museum in the house of the owners of DC's pre-prohibition lagers). They're ok, I guess, but when you're paying dang near as much for a 6-pack as you would for a 30-rack of Stroh's, you kinda feel a bit ripped off.

I would absolutely love to have some sorta rye lager using local grains. I know that New Columbia Distillery uses local rye.

16. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Geez, Doug Hurst (brewer/co-owner of Metropolitan), can you be anymore vague about the ingredients? :wink:
    Well, Emilie Lindemann (Foxhead) and Elizabeth Hornung (Phila) both did it - taking over the family breweries during Prohibition and operating them after Repeal, but it does appear that, soon after Conrad's death, Seipp's brewery was merged with a number of other local brewers and maltsters (during the 1890s, the period of "English investors" in the US brewing industry) into the City of Chicago Consolidated Brewing Co., and the Seipp family soon after had no connection to the company. A son, William C. Seipp, had been a VP of the brewing company, but resigned a few years after the merger (the implication of one article being that the Brits forced him out).

While the pdf claims the brewery "...closed its doors in 1933" it appears that while the company operated up until Repeal as a distributor of near beer and soft drinks, they had stopped brewing (legal non-alcoholic cereal beverage) in the early 1920s, according to some sources.

#36 jesskidden, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  17. ESHBG

ESHBG Pooh-Bah (2,099) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I've found over time that I am a fan of corn and rice in beer, as for me it adds a nice flavor and crispness. One of my favorites, especially for the price, is Founders Solid Gold (corn).

Bitterbill, BJC and TongoRad like this.
  18. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

AABG Rocket 100 uses corn. It has won a couple GABF Gold's.

Bow and Arrow in ABQ had Denim Tux, which uses Blue Corn, and was very nice CAP.

19. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Back when Fonta Flora was only at the pub in downtown Morganton I had their beet ale (cannot remember the name). It was a fine and light colored beet red. It was a fine earthy ale well rendered....I really liked it.

20. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I love FF beers, but I’m one of those that’s texture and color adverse across a pretty wide spectrum. I don’t eat avocados because they're a sickly green color, and they’re oily as hell. Drinking that blue DIPA on Sunday weirded me out, it was blue, not blueberry blue but weirdly translucent blue when back lit. It tasted like toasted almonds but the color threw me. I’m probably too old to have much more of an open mind, but a blood red beer I probably couldn’t drink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.