Dark lagers flavored with coffee

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Providence

Providence Crusader (753) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I was reading WBAYDN and saw a Baltic porter with coffee that @BeerVikingSailor was drinking. It got me thinking. I love coffee beers. I used to drink many coffee stouts, when they were just flavored with coffee. In recent years, however, I have noticed that coffee stouts also come with other flavor agents that I do not want in beer, be it vanilla, cinnamon, an entire sfogliatelle (that's a joke, if you couldn't tell. No one, to my understanding, has actually made a beer with a sfogliatelle and I hope they don't, despite my deep love of the pastry). In any event, my pursuit for beers with coffee got me wondering what lagers utilize coffee. I always seem to prefer lagers to ales. Not sure why, there's a certain dryness to the finish that I really like. In any event, I was wondering what lagers have used coffee. There's obviously some coffee Baltic porters, like the one @BeerVikingSailor is drinking and some stuff that I know Jack's Abby has done. But what others? Any bocks with coffee? My brain is conjuring the taste of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock with a little coffee flavor. Something like that would be yummy.

Thanks in advance.

2. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (450) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I don't think I've seen anything like that, at least bocks and such - I know that the German brewers wouldn't because of the purity laws.
    But give it a shot, next time you get a bottle, dose it with a little bit of coffee and see how it is.

Providence and Amendm like this.
  3. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (174) Nov 8, 2009 New York

All I can think of is Paulie Walnuts and his love of “Schfooyadel” when I hear about that pastry. Not sure if they still brew it but Dark horse Used to make a beer called Perkulator Doppelbock. Can’t attest to whether it was any good because the only bottle I had was years ago and it was infected.

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,118) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Jesse, do you have a preferred recipe for sfogliatelle?

There is a beer that 'references' sfogliatelle but the "entire sfogliatelle" was not used to brew this beer but I am guessing with ingredients that could be used to produce sfogliatelle:

“DREKKER SLANG DU JOUR- SFOGLIATELLE

4pk-16oz Cans

North Dakota - Specialty Beer - 6.5% ABV. We brewed with a whole bunch of oats and lactose, loaded it up with lemon & brown sugar, conditioned it on toasted almonds & lots of vanilla.”

I am personally not aware of any dark lagers that use coffee as an ingredient.

FWIW every year I homebrew a Tmavý Ležák (Czech Dark Lager) and for my palate:

“Aroma: A notable but subtle aroma of roasty (coffee-like) and a hint of cocoa.

Taste: The flavor follows the nose with a pleasing combination of subtle chocolate and coffee-like. A low/moderate bitterness.”

It will be interesting to read what other BAs have to post in this thread.

Cheers!

5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,209) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Providence, JackHorzempa and Amendm like this.
  6. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Zealot (568) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

7. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (1,946) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

For New England, since you're in Rhode Island...
    Jack's Abby has done a Coffee versions of Smoke & Dagger, House Lager, and Baby Hammer. IDK if they still do the latter two, they're retired on the site. Coffee S&D pops up from time to time in the Beer Hall I believe. Silvaticus up in Amesbury, MA has a coffee version of their black lager. I'll add more if I think of them.

8. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (2,895) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

9. Amendm

Amendm Savant (970) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Has the O.P. ever tried blending Beers, I have not since my Black & Tan days.
    Maybe Celebrator blended with a coffee Porter might work.

Cheers.

10. Providence

Trader

11. Providence

Trader

I love Smoke and Dagger. A coffee version sounds fantastic. I'll have to keep an eye open. I'd definitely head up to the brewery for that.

12. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (322) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Whatever floats your boat but no, I am not interested in coffee flavored schwarzbier.

13. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (575) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

One of my favorite beers we make at my brewery (Breakside) is Fourth Wave, a "imperial" Vienna lager aged in bourbon barrels with high quality cold brew added coldside. Sounds strange but the malt flavors and bourbon/barrel sweetness are really complemented by the chocolate and fruit in the coffee.

14. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Thank you for getting the old thinking muscles churning, I'm going to experiment with blending a small amount of a big bold coffee stout into various lagers. I think that blended into something like a Vienna lager or a dunkel it might work really well

PGHPABeerdrinker and Amendm like this.
  15. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,290) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Oh it is, very tasty in fact.

Amendm likes this.
  16. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (684) Mar 28, 2009 California

A local brewery does a pale lager with Kona coffee and it’s good. While not dark it’s a lager with coffee.

17. shelby415

shelby415 Meyvn (1,007) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

I don't know who has Midnight Sun distro these days but I thought Brewtality Espresso Black Bier was delicious.

Amendm and Providence like this.
  18. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,318) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Godspeed in Toronto makes a dark lager with coffee called Nanatzu no Taizei

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/49615/334804/

It is mislabeled as a Baltic Porter on this site.

It is made annually for Peche Mortel Day celebrations. The brewer/owner of Godspeed was the original brewer at Dieu de Ciel! To my taste, it is better than Peche Mortel.

Amendm, JackHorzempa and Providence like this.
  19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,209) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

DIM, officerbill, Providence and 2 others like this.
  20. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,302) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Saranac used to have a coffee vienna lager. It was amazing. Unfortunately, I think it was discontinued. :slight_frown:

officerbill and Amendm like this.
  21. Amendm

Amendm Savant (970) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I realize the title is "Dark Lagers flavored with coffee", I'm thinking of an old school approach.
    Union Jack from Bravo Brewing is and English Pale Ale that I really like, I have 2 cans left.
    A coffee flavored Stout (the Guinness) blended with this outstanding local find (the Bass Ale) might yield a Black&Tan/Porter worthy of a picture. I just have to find a suitable coffee Stout.

This thread could transition into a "Who can invent the coolest Black&Tan/Porter featuring coffee" thread.

22. JackHorzempa

Society

Or you could start a new thread?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

23. JackHorzempa

Society

How about Saranac Black Forest Lager, is that beer still being produced?

It has been a loooong time since I had one but I thought that beer was good.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

officerbill and Providence like this.
  24. Providence

Trader

Would love to try that!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  25. officerbill

officerbill Champion (819) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

It was in last year's German Roots fall pack. I put it on par with Kostritzer.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  26. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,395) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Deschutes has a spring seasonal called "Luna Jo Cold Brew Coffee Lager".. it's not a doppelbock, but it's a dark lager clocking in at 5% ABV.. I thought it was good and I didn't even try it "fresh"..... Fulton Beer has a Coffee Doppelbock that I've seen in cans on shelves, but I'm not sure if it's still brewed or anything about its current status..

Providence likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.