Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (927) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I look forward to hearing ChiCubs78s updates from his mailman over the next 7-10 days.

JRGVII, drac86, Socalfan21 and 5 others like this.
  2. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

:sunglasses:

3. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (292) May 13, 2014 California

3F and Pipeworks Collab beer to be debuted at DLD. Details unknown.

4. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

I just laughed so hard a little pee dribbled out. Thanks I needed that today!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  5. ChiCubs78

Then how do you know this :wink:?

JohnnyHopps and FFFjunkie like this.
  6. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (429) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Guys, I called the company that puts up the chain link fence around Dark Lord Day to ask how much fence they think they'll need this year. I left a message. I'll let you guys know if I hear back.

7. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

With everyone posting when their tickets arrive, hitting 100 pages should be very doable.

eppie82 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  8. ChiCubs78

LMFAO! Get back to us with the DLD square footage.

9. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (292) May 13, 2014 California

Pipeworks Instagram.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  10. croush

croush Champion (800) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It's time to Make the Dark Lord Thread Great Again (or greater than it's ever been?)...100 pages is not what we should be shooting for. 150 pages is what we should target.

11. ChiCubs78

Last year's DLD thread hit 95 pages on Dark Lord Day and finished at 115 pages.

12. HouseofWortship

Trader

Cardamom Guppy

13. croush

Trader

On the bottle share front, I've already had adjustments to what I initially thought I'll bring based on subsequent purchases. I'll most likely bring a No Rules and a Rye BA Vietnamese Speedway, along with other stuff I already mentioned somewhere else in this mess of a thread. I can't drink a No Rules by myself due to the sweetness, and DLD is probably the first solid chance I'll have to crack one of my RBAVSS.

14. ChiCubs78

We need to arrange a meet up there. I'm definitely bringing a 16 BCBS Coffee, Huna (maybe the double barrel version), and a few other goodies to be determined.

croush and jkwuc89 like this.
  15. ChiCubs78

That'll save me at least a $5 pour if that's the case.

16. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (335) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Fetus Banger vs. Unicorn

DrippingI, Socalfan21, JRGVII and 8 others like this.
  17. ChiCubs78

That's the FFF version. Pipeworks' version will be Unicorn vs. Dragon Abortion.

DrippingI and Billy_Bars like this.
  18. HouseofWortship

Trader

Uhoh, it's Bully Guppy

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  19. Ohiou84

Ohiou84 Initiate (132) May 6, 2014 Ohio

The thread has been silent for over an hour. I guess everyone is out checking their mailboxes.

ChiCubs78 and Billy_Bars like this.
  20. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

Or drinking a beer....or both.

Ohiou84 likes this.
  21. JJ_17

JJ_17 Initiate (188) Apr 22, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Not 100% on what I am bringing... but BA Darkness, Huna '17, MC '16 (maybe '17 if released), Pugachev Cobra. Some sours... Wicked weed stuff for sure, maybe some Casey, Funk Factory, and/or NG R&D. Need to supplement the high ABV beers with some lower ABV sours.

Collin7 and Zoomslowik like this.
  22. asams10

asams10 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2014 North Carolina

I'm just not sure that Drie Fonteinen and Pipeworks are the kinda breweries that would collab on a beer. Maybe I'm wrong though...

myersk27, JakeT469, JRGVII and 7 others like this.
  23. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (44) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois

Think I'm planning to bring No rules, noon whistle crowler, islbs, several hazel nuts and hipster brunch, and some indeed rum king.

24. ericfoster83

ericfoster83 Initiate (105) Sep 16, 2010 Indiana

I've saved the 18th street 3rd anniversary RIS for DLD, but I think I'm going to limit the stouts I'm bringing to see if my palette can survive until noon. I will be bringing as much of the windmill memes and dreams cans as I can get my hands on because sharing hazy milkshake IPA pours should go over well.

25. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (142) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

I'm of the opinion, and it's pretty much mine only I'm guessing, that one can only drink so much Russian imperial stouts, and moreover, barrel-aged versions of same, and still be able to find one's asshole with either index finger.

I'll be the guy looking for freshies, like a few years back when a traveler shared a can of Sip of Sunshine with me - I wanted to marry that guy. In my defense, he was good looking.

And maybe in '14, when the first beer of the day was a Jai Alai, which was really just a placeholder as a I perused the guest taps at 10:30 am - and then saw King Sue.....Sweet Jeebus from Beerville - that was good. I believe that was the last year the sun shined at DLD.

There is more to DLD than BA Stouts, so y'all need to bring freshies.

26. drac86

drac86 Initiate (107) Jan 28, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Agreed, I'm trying to survive and still be able to watch and enjoy Amon Amarth, so I'll also be limiting my stout intake. My Cali buddy is sending me some fresh Pliny, plus I'll have some great local IPAs and goses to moderate between the big boy beers.

ericfoster83 likes this.
  27. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

I have an odd request, while it is kind of mundane. Will anyone have any extra Heady? I need to buy a can to shotgun it for the hell of it. I also dont want to shotgun it at DLD...

28. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

also Accuweather.com 66 Degrees and Mostly cloudy; a morning shower followed by a little rain in the afternoon. Its starting to look like a real DLD

29. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

Every one keeps posting different weather updates but all I ever read is RAIN ALL DAY. I've only known DLD with torrential rain so I'm not expecting any different this year....

eppie82 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  30. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (315) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'm pretty sure that last year, the weather forecast kept getting shittier the closer it got to the actual day.

Born_A_Jee, ChiCubs78 and FFFjunkie like this.
  31. kodt

kodt Defender (631) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

What always kills me is late in the day when I have slowed down I find 2 barrel aged Dark Lord variants on tap and something like Parabajava and have all 3 back to back and then I miss the headliner.

Collin7, drac86, ericfoster83 and 2 others like this.
  32. Billy_Bars

Billy_Bars Aspirant (249) Jan 18, 2014 Illinois

I think that this is a more than fair compromise. Especially since it doesn't make my drive shorter just to call it Chicagoland.

33. Billy_Bars

[30 for 30 voice]

Chris_H_2, JakeT469, core42 and 5 others like this.
  34. Billy_Bars

DrippingI, Chris_H_2, drac86 and 4 others like this.
  35. croush

Trader

I'm just not sure that anyone wouldn't realize that 3F in a DLD thread (that's Dark Lord Day, in case there's any confusion) means Three Floyds. Maybe I'm wrong though....

asams10, ChiCubs78 and Billy_Bars like this.
  36. Billy_Bars

This.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  37. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,538) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

This might not need to be spelled out, but, just so we're all clear as this is very impotent (see what I did there) and can be cause for a serious beer cred infraction, especially in the DLD thread:

FFF is Three Floyds

3F is Drie Fonteinen

I'm not sure I've ever seen the Floyd's use a 3, (if I have, I totally erased it from my mind, and in any case it is a very rare case). Their branding almost always goes for the FFF.

38. Billy_Bars

I strongly disagree that this is an important distinction, because any context whatsoever can always clear up which you're talking about. It is super petty for people to nitpick this.

Edit: Feel free to agree to disagree, I just think making the correction is a waste of your time and space in a thread, much like correcting someone's your/you're mistake. The context always answers the question.

#2958 Billy_Bars, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  39. ChiCubs78

Seems legit tho.
    You're obviously new here.

#2959 ChiCubs78, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  40. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (315) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

We beer nerds really love our abbreviations and acronyms. Probably once a week, I see a new one that drives me insane. I feel like if I respond to the wrong trade thread, a guy is going to show up to an IP trade in a gimp suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.