Do you plan on attending beer fests again?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Todd, May 16, 2020.

?

Are you ready for beer fests?

This poll will close on Aug 14, 2020 at 6:53 PM.
  1. Yes, I'm ready to party (when allowed)!

2. Yes, but only when a vaccine is available.

3. No, I'll be avoiding them for the foreseeable future.

4. I don't attend beer fests.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,967) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

2. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,728) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I gave up on beer fests years ago...

It's a personal thing. I don't like crowds or lines and appreciate getting a decent sized glass of beer when I drink, not a few ounces here or there.

So, I voted no, not because of the current health/social situation, but just because I just don't go to beer fests anymore.

rocdoc1, ReDave, dcotom and 45 others like this.
  3. Todd

I've added an option for this. Feel free to change your vote.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,907) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I miss pouring at fests. Can't wait to get back.

5. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,100) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Same here. Looks like they added an "I don't attend beer fests" option since opening the poll.

6. Todd

Yep. Moments after posting it and you can change your vote.

7. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,324) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I’m not doing a god dam thing. If I trusted everything the government told me was ok .....good luck everybody attending.

plus I live in the most densely populated county in the most densely populated state

#7 Urk1127, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,151) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

9. bret27

bret27 Crusader (748) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Yes. I don’t like crowds or lines but after I few cold ones they don’t bother me anymore. I don’t go regularly though anyway.

10. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,250) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

I work for a brewery and I don't even know if we will want to participate in a beer fest or larger event in the next few months. In store samplings won't even be a thing for awhile.

11. AUtiger1209

AUtiger1209 Initiate (29) Jul 14, 2017 Georgia

Yes and won’t think twice about it

12. Anyman

Anyman Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2019

13. onezendad

onezendad Aspirant (200) Apr 16, 2018 Ontario (Canada)
    Society

I voted yes but with a caveat. This will come off as ultra-hipster but whatever. I dont go to mass market festivals anyway. I love festivals, but focused, more intimate ones. Brewery & Friends, or local-ish sour festivals, stuff like that.

Likely won't go wide open mass attendance kind of ones for a long time

14. 1mctous

1mctous Disciple (341) Dec 2, 2011 Georgia
    Society

Because Indiana has outlawed them or because of liability? As long as you're already allowing onsite purchases I really don't see a lot of additional risk with masks and adequate distancing.

15. lsholtzen

lsholtzen Initiate (118) Apr 14, 2004 California

Remember, a few ounces here or there adds up

16. Swollenknuckle

Swollenknuckle Initiate (26) Mar 4, 2018 New York

Think I’ll stay home until they find a vaccine. I have had a couple of people I know pass away from the virus and others that have had it. Living on long island it’s to damn crowded and the people here born with the golden spoons in their mouths do whatever they want regardless of what effect it has on others. So home I stay.

17. beerchicky

beerchicky Initiate (71) Apr 30, 2013 Virginia

Beer festivals would definitely be on my list of things that will wait until after a vaccine and effective treatment are developed. There is no safe or responsible way to hold one, especially since so much would depend on compliance from attendees.

18. JHS123

JHS123 Initiate (104) Sep 21, 2012 Connecticut

In Southwestern Fairfield County CT, we've had some great beer festivals over the past decade. The best of which was the annual event at the Ballpark at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport CT but times have changed and prior to the Pandemic that venue was being converted by Jim Koplik and LiveNation into a music venue. I don't think that will happen so quickly now and we will see neither music concerts nor craft beer fests return in the new normal.

Our lives are changed forever and it sucks but we can expect the social dynamic has to change and breweries will have to adapt to survive.

Our local craft brewer Lock City has done as well as can be expected with an online sales model for pickups and our local establishment Coalhouse Pizza is planning on a parking lot beer garden so I guess that's likely what we can expect more outdoor beer gardens where social distancing is the norm.

Stay healthy and drink great brews....

19. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (887) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

I rarely attend beer fest to begin with. Maybe 1 a year.

20. gr8ful

gr8ful Initiate (90) Aug 17, 2014 Texas

when it's safe (vaccine) I'll start going again. i like trying new beer without a huge commitment in $. plus i like the atmosphere and camaraderie. (sp?)

21. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (811) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Haven't been to a fest in awhile. I'll stop by a tasting every now and again. GABF and Octoberfest are 2nd tier bucket list items.
    Maybe someday.

22. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,825) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Not much of a crowd guy - used to go when I got in free for judging beer and if that resume, I might give it a shot.

23. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (483) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I don't attend fests because there aren't any reasonably close to where I live.
    If I could attend a good beer fest without having to get a hotel room or make a 2-3 hour (minimum) drive home then, yeah I'd be attending.

Singlefinpin, PORK, beergoot and 2 others like this.
  24. TheUnrealTodd

TheUnrealTodd Initiate (26) Oct 24, 2017 Florida

Love beer fests, but until people understand that crowding without masks is Russian roulette, I won't be attending.

25. Imperial207

Imperial207 Initiate (62) Aug 9, 2014 Maine

I have a small business based around being a craft vendor at beer fests. Definitely will start going, setting up again, as soon as they are being held.

26. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (163) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

About the only one I go to is FoBAB, and I doubt it happens this year. Maybe 2021.

Singlefinpin and GreenBayBA like this.
  27. djackson999

djackson999 Initiate (41) Sep 2, 2015 California

You know, I can foresee poring my beer at a beer fest again with certain parameters. (Outside)

Most of what I am thinking for the future has to do with a vaccine. Prior to that, I will be avoiding gatherings.

Drew

Singlefinpin likes this.
  28. EmpressE

EmpressE Initiate (89) Jan 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've been to every EBF for many years now, and also went to every ACBF and Microbrew Invitational. As soon as a vaccine is available, I would be thrilled to attend another. Beer fests are such an amazing way to try many different beers, discover new breweries and chat with the people involved, and to socialize and just have fun. It's something I'm really hoping continues and look forward to doing again.

29. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Meyvn (1,208) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

The sagas have foretold that I am going to Dark Lord Day 2021 with @JamFuel. Prior to that, I am not certain.

30. RobertWichert

RobertWichert Initiate (19) Mar 8, 2019 California

Doesn't it boil down to "Don't go anywhere if you are sick"? If everybody stayed home when they had a cold/flu/covid-19 we could feel like we were not in danger of catching a cold/flu/covid-19.

31. Crapulent-eh

Crapulent-eh Initiate (37) Mar 27, 2019 Ontario (Canada)

plague | pleɪɡ | noun
    2 an unusually large number of insects or animals infesting a place and causing damage: a plague of locusts... or... humans.

8 billion of us raping the planet -- think about it -- a valid analogue if ever there was one.

Therefore; Todd, no I will not be joining the herd any time soon... if ever.
    ..."Man delights not me, no nor women either"...

xdtfx likes this.
  32. VioletV

VioletV Initiate (70) Apr 30, 2012 Pennsylvania

I really miss beer fests, I've been looking forward to it all winter. But it's definitely not worth the well-being of my family.

I see the dumb things people do and I don't trust the public at all.

33. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (483) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

No need to turn this into the Wisconsin thread :ok_hand:

34. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,728) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I understand that.

My point is that I enjoy a full glass (or cup) of beer. Let the beer warm and settle in. Experience how it develops or degrades over time as you drink it.

In my view, it is nearly impossible to appreciate a beer to its full extent with only a few ounces. Not that one can't pick up some basics notes and ideas about the beer, but enjoying a beer sitting at a bar or biergarten or with friends over several hours with fewer beers is more pleasurable and satisfying than trying more beers with less sensory exposure in a generally chaotic festival environment.

For what it's worth...

35. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (5,418) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

That’s looking less and less certain, but I’ll get there one year or another!

Singlefinpin and GreenBayBA like this.
  36. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (117) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Only one I have been too is HBC and unless it is in the northeast again, I probably won't go. Also, normal beer fests don't appeal to me due to the level of drunks, and not beer enjoyers at them. That probably sounds odd, but I am more "pre" frustrated about the lines then people over reacting about a virus.

Singlefinpin and beergoot like this.
  37. kateruh

kateruh Initiate (15) May 31, 2019 Massachusetts

With some precautions, yes will definitely attend festivals in the future. Humans need other humans, variety and beer :slight_smile:

38. Ursula1007

Ursula1007 Initiate (115) Feb 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

Beer fests are a big deal and a great opportunity for local breweries to showcase their beers. This pandemic is so destructive. I loved the fests.

39. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,374) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I was looking forward to attending Fresh Fest this year in Pittsburgh as I attended last year and it was such a well done event. I imagine it will be cancelled this year and even if somehow they end up having it, I won't be attending. Going would entail me flying before being amongst a few thousand folk. I've sworn off flying anyplace for the forseeable future. A member of my household is asthmatic and I can't risk even the smallest chance of unknowingly bringing back the virus to my domain.
    Perhaps in 2021.

Singlefinpin and beergoot like this.
  40. Namako

Namako Initiate (136) Mar 30, 2006 Germany

My instantaneous response was "Does Howdy Doody have a wooden dildo?" Hell yes, and the sooner the better!!