Draught Bass: A Neglected Icon

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (17,075) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Society

The quality and popularity of the once-iconic Draught Bass has been on a steady decline since the 1980s. With the brand up for sale, could it be saved?

Read the full article: Draught Bass: A Neglected Icon

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

I certainly hope so. Everyone should have a well-cellared pint of Bass from time to time to remind themselves of what beer should taste like. Maybe the brand will excel when and if ABI sells it?

LuskusDelph likes this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,615) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

If there is value to cask Bass Ale why would ABI sell the brand vs. taking the steps optimize this beer brand? Not enough revenue/profit to make it worth it to ABI?

Cheers!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

My guess is that it was/is an expensive brand to maintain and it really doesn't fit into their portfolio and the direction that it is going. That is, however, just a guess.

5. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (832) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

I imagine declining sales. See also the likes of Boddingtons, a famous cask beer now not even available in cask and the current versions nothing like the beer that originally made the name famous.

If it does get sold, I imagine it'll be to one of the nationals like Marstons who currently brew it, or Greene King who would probably further degrade it as they tend to do with any other brand they buy. Can't really see another international brewer buying it

TongoRad and Hoppsbabo like this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,515) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

LuskusDelph likes this.
  7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

"Burton snatch" and "farty smell" aren't aromas that would appeal to me in a beer.

bubseymour, Alexmc2 and CervezaNY like this.
  8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,994) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I do recall that the Bass here in the states had a certain funky wildness to it back in the 80s, which then seemed to get 'cleaned up'. I always attributed that to the yeast, but it could have been the water. Personally, I miss that quality, whatever it was.

LuskusDelph and eppCOS like this.
  9. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,572) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I remember diacetyl being a big part of Bass when I'd choose one back then, but never any of those, um -- more colorful traits. :confused:

10. EvenMoreJesus

And somehow, I just don't see "Burton snatch" as being a more flattering way to describe the character.

dennis3951 likes this.
  11. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

There are a lot of bad jokes that could be made about "Burton snatch" but I guess it's best not to start.

12. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,461) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

There has been a lot of discussion on the board over last several years about the decline of Bass Ale. The one good thing about the craft brewing movement is that they are always resurrecting styles and such. Even if everyone is chasing NEIPAs right now, there are always places wanted to do English beers on cask. I have no concerns. Good proper English beers will always be available somewhere, and with social media, we can find them fairly easily if we really want them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.