Emerging styles?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bobbymozz, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Bobbymozz

Bobbymozz Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2014 New Jersey

hey BAs as a avid home brewer and craft beer nut I wanted to put out the question now that Gose, and NEIPAs have hit the mainstream what new styles do you see emerging in the next year or so

2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,405) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

From what I've been seeing posted here, it looks like Brut IPA will be next.

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,337) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Im not sure gose is mainstream ... at least not in the way NE style IPAs are ... but that aside.
    I think @TongoRad is right, Brut IPA for sure (although that may still be a year or so away) and the sour NE style IPAs (a la Hudson Valley).

4. rgordon

rgordon Champion (822) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'm uninitiated. I know what I think a Brut IPA may be, but please tell me....

5. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Devotee (443) Nov 23, 2017 California

Definitely, this is what a lot of breweries are starting to make around here. And there seems to be as many new Berliner Weissbiers as IPAs coming out every week.

Scott17Taylor and TongoRad like this.
  6. FBarber

Premium Trader

This was a good summary from a local Midwest thread about a brewery releasing a Brut IPA (https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/brut-ipa-badger-hill.576949/)

7. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,014) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

DJturnstile and FBarber like this.
  8. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,602) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium

The salmon stout sounds promising.

9. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Thanks for the assist!

Fwiw, my gut tells me they're not what someone from the wine world would expect when they see the term brut.

But low to no bitterness also.

WadeBridgman and FBarber like this.
  10. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,014) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Well Gose wasn't new. But calling anything that's kettle soured a "Gose" is.

Like look at this:

11. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (740) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Now throw a bunch of adjuncts in them = Emerging style(s)

12. rgordon

rgordon Champion (822) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Thanks, that's about what I thought. Like a dry sparkling wine with good fruit to boot. Even though I know it's not quite the same, but Cooper's Sparkling Ale fresh in Adelaide is a great beer along these lines.

13. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,143) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Might be safe to say that any emerging style/substyle is likely to be a derivative of an IPA or stout.

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (628) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not new but

I like Brett and sour IPA

I choose these to be the next big thing.

As far as new styles go, hoppy American low ABV Saisson would've nice, maybe with ginger and lemongrass.

Ginger IPA sounds good too.

Enjoy

utopiajane, mambossa and FBarber like this.
  15. honkey

honkey Zealot (526) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium

Too many breweries are afraid of using Brett for those to really take off. They also really need to be bottled in thick glass which is expensive, so it’s unlikely that Brett IPA’s will be produced at a price point that many people will regularly pony up for

16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,252) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I don't think anyone can really predict this, sort of see how things gel, etc.

I would be for trending away from the barrel aged frenzy and beers that are 10-11% ABV. Seems like everything I grab is so high ABV anymore. How about a nice full flavored beer 5-6% ABV you can have a few of without being blitzed after a couple. LOL

Cheers

hopsputin, ESHBG, LuskusDelph and 2 others like this.
  17. honkey

Premium

I’m hoping this series of single hop Pilseners from TBC featuring newer German varieties fits that description. The first (with Hallertauer Blanc) is lagering now. Hopbursted and dry hopped with 3 lbs of hops per bbl and with a super flavorful Extra Pale Pils malt, it’s tasting great right now.

18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,509) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina

Not my style but I do see more Gose on the shelf from other Brewers besides Westbrook. Have to admit the Key Lime Gose is interisting, the other Gose is was to sour way to salty. I also see a few Berliner Weiss too.

19. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (743) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Ehh . . . the "danger" with Brett sp. is WAY overblown. They're just yeast, after all, so if you clean well, you'll be just fine. Because of their slower growth rate, however, they do usually require a little more time to reach a stable terminal gravity, which may be an issue. Bigger problem, as many brewers are finding out, are var. diastaticus strains of sacch.

Tamarack likes this.
  20. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

That sounds awesome and refreshing. I cannot wait to snag some when ready. I think so many breweries get hung up on massive beers they forget how good a simple beer can be. I would drink this stuff all day and I think a lot of other people would too.
    Thanks for the info, cheers! :beers:

ESHBG likes this.
  21. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

22. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

It's basically the opposite end of the spectrum as milkshake IPAs are. I, personally, think both should DIAF, but, then again, I'm kinda grumpy, so . . .

Beer_Economicus, rgordon and FBarber like this.
  23. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

24. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

This was so good!

honkey likes this.
  25. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Did you review it?

26. TongoRad

Premium Trader

That's a nice beer, but I don't get the impression that these IPAs are like it. I think they're still going for that 'soft' feel, and not crisp and assertive.

Beer_Economicus, schteve and rgordon like this.
  27. TongoRad

Premium Trader

As long as Crooked Stave keeps making those Hop Savant cans I'll be a happy camper :slight_smile:.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  28. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (762) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

This is a great point. One of be tragedies in the explosion in kettle sour popularity is that true, authentic Gose and Berlinerweiss are all but extinct here. I much prefer the terms kettle sour, American sour, or session sour.

29. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Yes, it was outstanding.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  30. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

You remember when? I'd love to read what you wrote.

31. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

December 20th, 2017

4.54/5 rDev +7.6%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Just a beautiful hazy yellow gold with 1" foam and honey like lacing.
    S: Citrus, hops, bread, floral, and honey.
    T: One of the most enjoyable beers in a long time. Flavors follow the nose, super clean, fresh taste, flavors are so full but delicate, its hard to explain. Good bite but smoothness still remains.
    M: Light medium
    O: Just fantastic, super easy to drink, very fresh and flavors rock. This one surprised me it was so well done, cheers!

honkey and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  32. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I am pretty bummed about this as well. Traditionally they were fermented very similarly to lambic, just different recipes, which determined which microbes were more active. Wish more people would use traditional techniques and recipes to make them, it's just WAY too easy to sour on the hot side and ferment cleanly.

Fox82791 and JohnnyChicago like this.
  33. honkey

Premium

I think that to say the danger is overblown leads to an attitude of complacency that brewers shouldn’t subscribe to. Cross contaminations occur all the time and while it’s true that good cleaning practices should eliminate the risk, in my experience, very few breweries are equipped to deal with it. At TBC, we actually use separate sets of gaskets for each yeast strain we use to attempt to avoid cross contaminations even amongst our sacch strains. A lot of brewers are surprised when I consult for them and swab their tanks with an ATP luminometer to find out that their tanks (sometimes even the tank walls themselves) are not actually getting effectively cleaned. Couple that with all of the potential areas for yeast to “hide” in transfer hoses, gaskets, and/or packaging equipment and you could have a recipe for disaster. Not to mention the frequency with which labs provide Brett cultures that are supposed to be pure and are contaminated with Sacch (frequently being diastaticus) and breweries then realize they have good reason to be extra cautious.Most Brett also can live significantly longer in beer than Sacch can so it could be months or years before issues show up. I remember a story about old bottles (can’t remember if they were beer or wine) that were discovered underwater from over a hundred years ago and there was Brett still active and finding sugars to slowly ferment.

Diastaticus is scary because of how hard it is to identify and how quickly it works. Personally, I use Brett in my brewery with caution, but I will not use French Saison yeast at all for that very reason.

#33 honkey, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  34. FBarber

Premium Trader

35. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Excellent points, all.

Sacch. contamination is an unfortunate issue that pervades a lot of supposedly non-sacch. fermentations, even when you get your microbes from a lab. Tough to get true isolates these days, but, as you said, extra caution is never a bad thing.

Yeah, Brett sp. are hardy suckers.

Probably a policy that more brewers should follow.

36. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,568) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

It has already been mentioned in this thread but I continually see new Pilsners on the market. Maybe this is an artifact of the area in which I live (Southeastern PA) and the fact that lagers are appreciated here? Whether this Pilsner trend will yield an "emerging style" for the rest of the US?

I wonder whether Classic American Pilsners could be a contributor here.

Cheers!

@Sixpoint

37. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Unfortunately, no. Nothing "traditional" from the areas of origin. Would love to though.

FBarber likes this.
  38. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (628) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I like wild devil but it only in 750 bottles, don't even know the last time I saw it. Still sitting on one bottle.

Fear of a Brett planet is a very good Brett pale ale. It comes in cans and last time I bought it the cost was $40 a case. For me that's a nice price. I buy a case and drink it over a year as the Brett matures.

I would also like to see more nice Oaked IPA. Great divide made a nice one and Burton baton is good but not an everyday drinker.

Enjoy

39. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,568) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

ESHBG, utopiajane and cavedave like this.
  40. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,001) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

We need more Grodziske in the market.