Endangered Species List

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, May 13, 2020.

1. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,374) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

i made an earlier thread lamenting the relative (at least in my area) lack of Amber Ales.
    What other styles are you noticing that are becoming harder and harder to come by (hence the thread title)?

Scotch Ales
    Belgian Dubbels
    Munich Dunkel

2. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,308) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Almost anything English/Scottish seems to be ignored by most craft brewers today.

3. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,781) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Roasted, bitter and well-balanced Stouts that don't have three or more different additives thrown in. And Black IPAs.

EJLinneman, SABERG, gopens44 and 49 others like this.
  4. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Initiate (179) Feb 10, 2020 Maryland

German Bocks, particularly domestically crafted ones.

5. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,271) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

The Golden-Cheeked Warbler... oh wait.
    BLACK IPAs. Nearly extinct. :wink:

6. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,254) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

These styles are interesting because for me, I never think about craft versions (or the lack thereof). If I want one of these, 95% of the time I'm going for an imported version just because no craft version has ever come close to being as good as the imported versions available where I live.

Ain't that the truth. Simple, classic, well made stouts are hard to find even here in the states.

7. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,353) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

It's hard to find many English Bitters or English Brown Ales. Lucky Honker's Ale is still brewed at the GI taproom, though don't make it there much. Always appreciate a good Helles or Kolsch, though I have seen more brewers attempt this style recently with many positive results.

WCIPAs are endangered in the Chicago area, though plentiful when I travel West.

cjgiant, Amendm, Ceddd99 and 12 others like this.
  8. FBarber

Society Trader

You mean locally brewed? or just in general?

BJB13, traction, eppCOS and 1 other person like this.
  9. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,606) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

They were never plentiful, but rye beers seem to be sliding towards oblivion.

I've been waiting for a decade for a local, year-round, packaged rye beer in the excellent range. It would be in my fridge forever.

MrOH, 5thOhio, SFACRKnight and 16 others like this.
  10. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,353) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Locally brewed, at least within the city. Spiteful and Half Acre are my go to local breweries for many styles including WCIPAs. Tried branching out to suburban pours lately, didn't like Hailstorm's Prairie Madness but liked West Coast Wizard IPA by Miskatonic.

Hop Butcher releases a dozen beers a month, I've heard when they do put out a WCIPA it's solid, though not sure which of their offerings are in this style. I liked their Base collaboration with Revolution last year.

Any local fresh suggestions would be very much appreciated. We had a Great Lakes thread late in the Fall, with a few suggestions. Seems like most local brewers abandoned this style a decade ago to chase the haze and stouts.

11. FBarber

Society Trader

Totally agree on Half Acre's WC style IPAs, Rev does some solid WCIPAs too. I feel like Pipeworks also still has some good WCIPAs available although they've certainly put a lot of effort more recently into the rotating NE style IPAs.
    Yea, they certainly have.

12. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,324) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Minnesota may not get Yards from Philly idk but their flagship beer which is popular is an English dark mild. The only one I know of besides another local one doing one but only saw it once

13. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,624) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

English-style ales and black IPA's !

14. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,126) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale
    ESB (stateside)
    Tripel
    Maibock

15. Mikemcgrath4

Mikemcgrath4 Zealot (526) Aug 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Local Hefeweizens

16. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (351) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Haha... all my favorite styles

English Brown Ale
    Schwarzbier
    Helles
    Vienna Lager
    Dubbel
    Wee Heavy
    Eisbock

KentT, kjkinsey, SFACRKnight and 19 others like this.
  17. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,308) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Has the Helles resurgance not hit California? There are quite a few in Minnesota, even if some are only seasonals.

BJB13 and thesherrybomber like this.
  18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,497) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Are you able to find fresh imported Munich Dunkels?

Cheers!

hottenot, dukeandduke and FBarber like this.
  19. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,595) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm surprised by the Maibock reference. The style has made something of a resurgence in our area, with most lager producers now making one. Some of them are quite good.

Looks like you live in NJ, so I assume you're not too far away from the Philly area. When I lived in Baltimore, it seemed like there were a number of well made maibocks produced by various German influenced breweries (Stoudts, Sly Fox, etc.). Is that no longer the case?

20. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (137) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34456/118864/

It's not MN local, but this one is a dandy! I would be more than happy to bring a 6/12 pack when I travel from GA to Sodak. Unfortunately, I won't be making the trip until Sep-Oct timeframe, but I can bring some at that time.

maximum12 likes this.
  21. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, Stoudts will soon (already?) be out of the beer production/distribution business. Their beers were just not being purchased so they had to make a drastic 'change' here.

Troegs used to produce a high quality beer branded as Cultivator but they stopped bottling this beer a number of years ago (3-4 years?) since people would not buy it.

Sly Fox produces a Maibock every year as part of their annual Sly Fox Goat Race/Bock Fest event (which will not be occurring this year because of the COVID-19 situation). I happened to be at their Phoenxville location last evening for take-out food & beer (I bought a 4-pack of unfiltered Pilsner called Slugger) and I did notice they are selling growlers (64 ounce - glass) of their Maibock this year. Last year they canned their Maibock for the first time. I discussed it in a New Beer Sunday thread:

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-745.615787/#post-6518745

Unfortunately in SEPA the Maibock style is a tough find. Just not enough folks financially supporting this beer style.

I hope that the Maibock has 'legs' in Oregon and does not suffer the same diminishment as here.

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

LatersFine, BJC, Bitterbill and 4 others like this.
  22. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (47) Nov 5, 2019 Ontario (Canada)

In Ontario it is almost impossible to find a provincially brewed Tripel. Kind of embarrassing when the best one in the world comes from our neighbouring province.

23. traction

traction Zealot (536) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

La Fin Du Monde? I love that stuff and am glad it is available at my local grocery store.

24. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,595) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I saw the thread about Carol Stoudt retiring, but I guess I figured that someone would pick up some of their core beers. I just assumed that would include the maibock, as it seemed to be one of their biggest sellers (at least at one time). Back in the 90's, when I lived in Sacramento, I could purchase Stoudt's maibock at my local Trader Joe's. Of course I'm quite familiar with the maibock produced by Sly Fox (and always thought it quite good), and I'm happy to hear it's still selling fairly well (and that Sly Fox is still making it). Still have my Goat Festival maibock fest mug that I purchased some years ago.

Out here, Wayfinder makes a pretty decent seasonal Maibock, and Heater Allen makes an outstanding one that they can (called Lenzbock). Those are the ones that stick out in my mind, though I know several other lager producing breweries that make one periodically as well. It's made by enough different breweries out this way that I wouldn't consider the style "endangered."

Bitterbill and BJB13 like this.
  25. FBarber

Society Trader

A couple - but they're ones I like. Hofbrauhaus and Hofbrauhas Friesing are both easy to find for me.

Bitterbill and TongoRad like this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

And that beer is fresh?

In my area we received a drop (late fall of 2018) and I discussed this beer in a New Beer Sunday thread (see below). I really enjoyed this beer but I have not seen any more drops of this beer and sadly one of my local Retail Beer Distributors still has this beer from 2018 sitting on his shelves. It is unlikely that this will be a repeat purchase for me.:slight_frown:

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-729.605232/#post-6376442

Cheers!

27. JackHorzempa

Society

I have seen no reports/indications that anybody is interested in purchasing either the production brewery or the brand name. Think about it - Stoudts has been having slumping sales over the past few years. Does this brand truly have value? I am reticent to state the following but: Stoudts was just too late to the Haze Craze. IMO they have lost relevance to the Haze Bros portion of the craft beer market. And now that we are in the middle of an economic shutdown will that help in the sale of this business? Maybe so wild eyed entrepreneur will see a 'bright side' here?
    I suppose at one time that was the case but likely over a decade ago?
    Please let me know is a few years whether that is still indeed the case. Perhaps Oregon or the timing is enough of a difference here to make this style economically viable?

Cheers!

FBarber likes this.
  28. FBarber

Society Trader

We've gotten subsequent drops of the dunkel, jägerbier and seasonally the festbier around here.

Bitterbill, JackHorzempa and TongoRad like this.
  29. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,719) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

We did, too. That Festbier was soooooo good.

puck1225, Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  30. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,163) Sep 24, 2007 Montenegro
    Society Trader

And the beer world is better for that.

31. Insomniac

Yes, La Fin Du Monde. I can get it Ontario which obviously makes the lack of a local one more tolerable. Still, some Ontario breweries should step up and show their game with this style.

32. Metalsnota

Metalsnota Devotee (460) Feb 6, 2015 Minnesota

This post makes me long for the days when many of my favorite styles were more readily available.

33. Insomniac

Now that I think about it some more, it seems virtually no one anywhere in the world makes a reasonably well distributed German Eisbock. The only one I've ever seen is the Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock, which makes it way to my area occasionally and is a world class beer. Would like to see more of these.

#33 Insomniac, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
  34. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (351) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

That's what I just said

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (485) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Disappointed in y’all.

How has no one mentioned Baltic Porter?!?

36. Insomniac

I had a recently brewed one the other night but don’t see them very often.

Bitterbill likes this.
  37. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,606) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I didn't review it, but I've had it. Solid but not something I want to drink regularly, but thanks for the offer!

38. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,798) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Here in MN, we have ample examples of just about every style, especially German styles, except English.

Sad, really, since not that long ago there were readily available locally (MN) brewed bitters, ESBs, English-style pale ales, and English-style IPAs. No more. AFAIK, in general distribution, Summit EPA is the last holdout.

Bent Paddle still brews their 14° ESB, although they changed the sub-name to an "Extra Special Amber" - ESA?? Anyhow, it is still English in general style, based on the hop profile, but I haven't tried it recently to determine if this is the same beer as when it was called an English Bitter.

Surly brews a taproom-only Mild (but "Destination" breweries and I just are NOT made for each other, so I've never tried it). However, I will not forgive them for abandoning their Bitter Brewer and replacing it with that hop water Xtra Citra in their lineup.

Summit used to brew an English-style IPA that was quite good. Key words; "used to."

But, saddest of all, is the English-style focused brewery, Northgate Brewing, closed several years ago.

beertunes and Bitterbill like this.
  39. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,126) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Can't say I've see many recently at all. Maybe Jack's Abbey and Ramstein. the only one I've had this year was from Icarus. Maybe i need to look harder :wink:

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,374) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Thats a good call. A shop near me will occasionally have Zywiec (which I enjoy) but I dont see any versions of this style around very much.