So last month I got a 1 gal extract kit as a gift. Never thought about brewing before, I always thought it was too technical. So I gave it a shot, went in blind, and screwed it up (maybe old yeast, pitched too hot, fermed too hot, didn't sanitize properly, etc...a real hot mess)....so I started reading and reading, dropped a few hundred on some supplies/equipment, and decided to get serious. Even bought a chest freezer from craigslist and a Johnson digital temp controller for a temp controlled ferm chamber...I figured if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right. So decided my first beer was gonna be a single hop Citra IPA (my favorite style) in an attempt to clone Cycle Brewing's Crank IPA (a hazy, 6% ABV delicious beer). Came up with a recipe and downloaded beersmith and plugged it in. Then I came across a Zombie Dust clone recipe that was really close to what I came up with so I figured I was on the right track. Just finished up my first batch (2.5 gallon) and everything went according to plan, except for forgetting to add fermcap and barely catching the hot break before it boiled over. Lol. Crank is real hoppy but not overly bitter so the recipe I came up with has kind of a low IBU/OG ratio - 53.1 IBU/1.061 OG ratio, with a target FG about 1.014 for about a 6.2% ABV and an SRM of 7.5. Steeping Grains were 3.2oz 20L crystal (4.9%) Extract: 2lbs Mallard golden LME (48.8%) 1lb Northern Brewer IPA super structure LME (24.4%) 14.2oz light DME (22%) I tried a First Wort Hop technique that I've read sort of works for extract. Added some hops when I pulled my steeping grains, left them in for the boil, and then went with this schedule of Citra (14.2% alpha): 1/4oz @ 20min 1/4oz @10min 1/4oz @ 5 min 1/4oz @ 1min 1oz dry hop for 5-6 days when the time comes. Target OG was 1.061, actual was 1.059 (ATC refractometer), and 1.060 (hydrometer @ 60*). Pitched at 67*, and am fermenting at 65* for the first few days...I might move up the ferm temp to 69*ish once initial ferm is done. I have some whirlfloc but skipped it because Crank is hazy and I wanted to try to recreate it as close as possible. I sanitized like a madman and am pretty sure I nailed this brew. Here she is in my ferm chamber, with lots of room for more carboys/buckets. Now I wait. Just thought I'd share my first real brew with y'all. So far so good! Cheers.