German Beer Day (April 23, 2020)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BBThunderbolt, Apr 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,924) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,889) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

@tzieser celebrator is the superior doppelbock. Weihenstephaner makes a great ale tho

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,944) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,146) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

If it's German Beer Day, I'm not drinking an American imposter. Just sayin'.

DIM, yemenmocha, boddhitree and 16 others like this.
  5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,235) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

6. DiUr

DiUr Aspirant (211) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

Friday is escalating quickly.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,127) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Never heard of porchdrinking dot com before.

I suppose there is no shortage of digital publishers generating 'lists for clicks'?

Cheers!

8. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

In the spirit of things, I just opened the first can, of the second sixer that I've bought, of the Bitburger-SN collab. I'm liking it a lot.

Bitterbill, Amendm, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  9. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Are "Days" even a thing anymore?

10. DiUr

How didn´t I have that one yet? Is it as good as it should? You´ve managed to go seasonal!

I´ve seen some last year´s HB´s Oktos suddenly appearing out of the blue on the shelves today, with still a few months left (pretty Corona-surreal). Should have grabbed one at least, and see.

Bitterbill, Amendm, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  11. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,723) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Hey, aren't you the one who started this whole German Beer "Day" thread?

(edited with proper quoted post - I've been quoting poorly recently :slight_frown:)

12. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,120) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Can’t disagree with any of the represented breweries that I’ve had. Especially Von Trapp and Olde Mecklenburg.
    I’ll will say that Fat Heads makes better German lagers than Gemüt though. They just aren’t predominantly focused on them.

13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I hearby invoke my rights under the 5th amendment of the constitution.

Under advice of counsel, I can state that I was pointed to this list by a brewer I am familiar with, who brews these styles, whose brewery didn't make the list, but thought that it was otherwise a pretty legit list.

14. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Devotee (420) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

15. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I was more referring to, because of being on lock down, most of us don't know if it's Mon, Thu, Sun, whutevz day.

16. DiUr

König was my go-to pale lager (probably the biggest 'rank' in my beer world) for months, even years, in the past. Then those tall, fresh, white cans actually disappeared from the shelves a year ago, with the likes of Stone, Lagunitas, and SN occupying that space. Even if I might like some of the latter ones, this was terrible news.

Bitterbill, Amendm, zid and 2 others like this.
  17. DiUr

OK. I still have one of these (superb balance), and I am in the right mood for it after some food. Prosit.

[​IMG]

18. cjgiant

Society

I understood, but it did also seem to work as an antithetical remark against the every day is some sort of special "Day" concept :slight_smile:

I actually did have a von Trapp and a Bitburger today, for what it's worth

19. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Wut day is it?

20. cjgiant

Society

Not sure, but it's 5 o'clock somewhere (or 5:10 at this point).

Bitterbill, Amendm, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  21. TongoRad

Society Trader

The HB Maibock is a unique take, all things considered. Certainly not a Heller bock, if that's what you are expecting. Not quite a Dunkles bock either, but someplace between the two. Still, it's very tasty and drinkable on its own terms, with rich malt and a sturdy hop presence.

Their O'fest is one of my favorites when in season. It's a pretty solid beer, might be worth a coin flip to see if they're still good at this point.

22. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (358) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Poor Straub, they have finally made a list but end up being called "Schaub" throughout most of their paragraph (looks like it's from a mixup between their name and Schell's).

I've had beers from a few of these breweries and I thought that it was a cool list.

23. Brugesman

Brugesman Initiate (62) Apr 22, 2020 California
    Trader

That is one fine looking pour. Mmmmmm!

Bitterbill, Amendm, DiUr and 2 others like this.
  24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,889) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

So going over that list it seems denver is pretty lager heavy. Awesome.
    @Domingo
    @ManBearPat

Bitterbill, Amendm, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  25. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

High Point Brewing in Butler NJ brew excellent German Style beers under the Ramstein.s brand name It's small and hard to find even in NJ. But worth seeking out.

26. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,729) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Yeah, feels like we were pretty well represented. Not really a shock as I'm pretty sure Porch Drinking is at least partially based out of Denver.
    I feel Dry Dock probably deserved a mention considering their giant wall of medals is mostly for German beers. Probably instead of some other mentions that are less traditional. Lager doesn't necessarily mean "German." I'd also say that New Glarus should be one of the main entries without a doubt. The fact that they only mentioned one PA brewery is borderline eyeroll worthy. That said, I think it's cool that they did mention Bierkeller Columbia and Dovetail, which not everyone knows about.

Ranbot, Bitterbill, Amendm and 5 others like this.
  27. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,980) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Hmm, I was not aware of that. First time I ever heard of this "Tag des deutschen Bieres", which was introduced in 1994 by the German Brewers Association. Seems like one of those "holidays" that mainly serve a commercial purpose.

Nevertheless, I will probably de drinking those Land- and Kellerbiers that I still got in my fridge tonight.

28. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (137) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Had a 'fresh' (3 month old) Spaten Original and 2 and a half months old HB Maibock to 'celebrate' the day, although a large majority of my beer-drinking days are German (or German-style) beer days. :sunglasses:

Given their inclusion in the article's list, I thought I'd mention that anyone in MN and other states that get August Schell Fort Road series should check out their new Fort Road Blonde, which is a Kolsch style and very good.

Bitterbill, Amendm, jeebeel and 5 others like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

A sign of 'quality journalism' from porchdrinking dot com?

Cheers!

30. JackHorzempa

Society

Woo-Hoo! A side-by-side? Will we be reading about it in NBS?

Prost!

31. JackHorzempa

Society

I wish I could buy that beer but Schell's doesn't make it to my area.

But I can buy Schaub (sic) so....

Cheers!

@ESHBG

32. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,317) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

And they have cancelled Oktoberfest. [Sigh]

33. TongoRad

Society Trader

Very solid list, and even the honorable mentions seem well thought out. Anyone listed that I haven't had yet do seem to have quality word of mouth.

Nice shout out for Altstadt, too, so they seem to be getting noticed. @Premo88 sent me a few of their offerings which were really quite good.

34. DCH

DCH Aspirant (225) Jun 12, 2013 New York

My local distro has HB Original and Winter Spezial mini kegs for going for $8, quite a steal

35. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,146) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

That's what I was gonna say, what's this "day" crap? :wink:
    Agreed, but I guess it's based on the day the Reinheitsgebot was ratified. And if I'm going to jump on anything commercial -- well, I guess I have for a few decades anyway. :grin:

And by the way folks, it was German Beer Day, not German-style Beer Day -- shee.

36. Stl705

Stl705 Initiate (52) Jun 14, 2014 Illinois

I much prefer lagers to IPAs... very nice list! I’ve had the two local options (Chicago area) Dovetail and Metropolitan and both are amazing brewers... Metropolitan just opened up a beautiful taproom overlooking the Chicago River... beautiful complex and taproom altho the complex they are in is still in construction i believe.

I had a berliner from Jacks Abbey at a bar in Boston when i went for vacation, it was absolutely sublime, I need to do a road trip NE and him them and others up!

Bitterbill, Amendm and TongoRad like this.
  37. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (137) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

What, no quarter given for those US-based breweries who adhere to the RHG and also brew their German-styles with very traditional techniques? :slight_smile:

I'd also say since it's celebrating the ratification of the RHG, shouldn't it be Bavarian beer day? :wink:

38. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,980) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm not sure if a side-by-side really is the best way to go, to be honest. I'm a little worried that if I pour three half-litre bottles at once, everything is just going to go flat and stale...

39. Amendm

Amendm Savant (979) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Happy belated German Day.
    Glad to see two of my favorite New England Lager breweries represented.

Jack's Abby, if you have tried their Beers you know how true to style and reasonably priced they are.

von Trapp, similar to J.A. with a more narrow focus on styles. But wait a moment, the von Trapp family was from Austria!!??

Is it a case of splitting hairs or are German and Austrian Beers noticeably different from one another? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Prost.

#39 Amendm, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, cut it back to 2 bottles and the first sips will most definitely be fresh.

I had a 'three way' and all of those beers were enjoyable throughout - the more the merrier!

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-694.577051/#post-6055530

If I could have gotten my hands on the Schell's Kolsch it would have been a four way!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

@grantcty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.