Grimm Artisanal Ales (April 2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NiceBeerCans, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (202) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

For info directly from their website
    http://grimmales.com/

Their new online shop is open. Check out their gorgeous glassware and shirts.

Nice pics on their instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/grimmales/

Grimm beers are usually in high demand (especially the cans). Cans have been limited to low counts per person. Grimm Artisanal Ales supply their beers at low prices (and have NOT raised their prices recently) to the distributor, who supply the retail shops, and therefore are not responsible for the final price you may encounter. They try to support the "Mom and Pop" shops that sell their beer. Hopefully, we should all support these small shops. Also available at select Whole Foods beer departments with limits to spread the wealth among your fellow BA brethren. :sunglasses:

The latest fitness craze has been the checking of this thread and Beermenus for their cans/bottles and running around town trying to get them before inventory is sold out. Needed exercise for some of our fellow beer enthusiasts. :grinning: If you miss out, you can usually find their beer on tap.

Post away and yes, Joe and Lauren (the Grimm's) monitor this thread and are great about responding to your questions and comments. Especially, if you tag them @Grimm_Artisanal_Ales. :slight_smile: Great people, great couple, great brewers.

Artwork

The beautiful Grimm artwork on their labels is designed by Lauren, about 50% from scratch and the rest using Gretta Johnson's (their longtime friend) artwork. Gretta did the artwork for Sugarmaker, In Mid-Air, and Candlepower.

Check out http://grettajohnson.com/ for more about this talented artist.

The artwork on the Splish can is by Joe's old band mate, and incredible artist, Brian Alfred.

http://paintchanger.com/

The artwork on Lambo Door, Awoogah, Light Year, Skyspace, Lumen, and Blackberry Orange Pop! is by the amazing Lauren Grimm. She can do it all!

The artwork for Sumi Ink label is by Sumi Ink Club (http://sumiinkclub.com/)

Their friend Maggie (Margaux Ogden) did the Zap design (http://www.margauxogden.com/paintings)

Can advice:

Keep cold! Drink Now! Roll can to suspend hop particles. :slight_smile:

Upcoming Grimm releases for April (subject to change)

You have to guess this month......

April Fools

Forgot to get the info but I will make sure it will be posted. Check back for the April releases. It will be on this thread later.

2. Grimm_Artisanal_Ales

Grimm_Artisanal_Ales Initiate (175) Apr 6, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

April releases (some may bleed into may)
    Psychokinesis - dry hopped sour (bottles/draft)
    BFF - hoppy tripel (bottles/draft)
    Cuvee #4: Lemongrass, Chamomile, and Motueka -- barrel aged golden sour ale (draft only)
    Magnetic Tape - double dry hopped single IPA w/motueka, mosaic (cans/draft)
    Vacay - dry hopped sour with hops from germany and new zealand (bottles/draft)
    Idaho 7 - DIPA featuring Idaho 7 hops. (draft only)
    Halftone - double dry hopped single IPA with simcoe and azacca (cans/draft)
    Mango Pop! - dessert berliner weisse with mangos, vanilla, and milk sugar (bottles)

3. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (233) Jun 25, 2016 New York

BFF and Psychokinesis are in at Top Hops.

JaredSammy and Phigg1102 like this.
  4. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Champion (817) Sep 29, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

They are in at City Swiggers too. $12.99 limit 2. Double Negative, Colorfield, Cuvee 3, and Neon Lights on draft.

bubige likes this.
  5. kthoag

kthoag Disciple (302) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

My salad days spent at an Indian catering company will be relived when I drink what is clearly the closest thing to a mango lassi beer on earth.

6. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Devotee (465) Aug 18, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

BFF is absolutely delicious. Haven't had a Tripel in some time and this beer brings all the great qualities of a Tripel to the table with just enough hop presence to make it unique.

NewmansOwn and ONovoMexicano like this.
  7. NewmansOwn

What's the difference between a triple and a tripel ipa?

8. guinness77

guinness77 Defender (697) Jan 6, 2014 New York

The yeast. The hops. A tripel IPA is definitely a unique type of beer you don't see too often, but definitely of a Belgian influence.

9. NewmansOwn

So it's a heavily hopped Tripel?

10. guinness77

guinness77 Defender (697) Jan 6, 2014 New York

NewmansOwn and ScottKramer like this.
  11. orangebarius

orangebarius Initiate (46) Dec 2, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Union sq has tons of double negative and a few neon lights on the shelf behind the cheese counter.

Milk & hops astor has dn, bff and psychokinesis

#11 orangebarius, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  12. NewmansOwn

Awesome, thanks! I picked up a bottle of BFF last night and am looking forward to trying it.

guinness77 likes this.
  13. pdy90727

pdy90727 Initiate (51) Sep 10, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

So excited to find out that Grimm has made it to my grocery store, but bummed to discover that cans are $7 and have been sitting in an un-refrigerated backroom since December. I know Grimm doesn't set prices this high themselves, but is this price hike pretty typical for NYC?

14. kuishinbo_tantei

kuishinbo_tantei Aspirant (232) Jul 6, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

7/can is not atypical for NYC retail, and IMO worth it if it means supporting a good place (e.g. not food emporium) and not having to schlep across town. but I don't know if I'd go for 3 month old IPAs at that price. I just drank a can of Zap last week that was hiding in my fridge behind some bombers and it was entirely pleasant, just not the same thing.

yossle likes this.
  15. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (110) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

$6 is typically the going rate for a can of grimm. Some places will rip you off and sell it for 8-9$, so $7 I guess falls in the in-between range. But cans of grimm sitting anywhere since December is crazy! Obviously nobody knew about them there. But I wouldn't buy them, they have a shorter shelf life than that.

16. Grimm_Artisanal_Ales

Beer Trader

yup

ding ding ding! one of our absolute favorite beers from the oughts when we were homebrewing. belgian IPA is a tough style to pull off because most of the yeasts throw a banana ester that clashes with hops... not our belgian yeast though, ours actually complements hop character beautifully.

urgh. where? don't buy them, they're way out of date.

#16 Grimm_Artisanal_Ales, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  17. pdy90727

pdy90727 Initiate (51) Sep 10, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Don't want to blast them on the interwebs, but I'll PM you!

yossle and NiceBeerCans like this.
  18. BoardwalkBock

Beer Trader

Yup, usually belgin IPAs have a strong clove and banana ester which overpowers the beer, but BFF's yeast works perfectly with the hops.

Chouffon tripel IPA is one of my absolute favorites.

19. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (110) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Had the BFF last night, so good!!

elproducer and ONovoMexicano like this.
  20. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,800) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

BFF is great. Well done, Grimm.

elproducer and BoardwalkBock like this.
  21. Andy311x

Andy311x Aspirant (256) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina
    Subscriber

How does this year's version of Vacay compare to last, is it the same recipe? I absolutely loved last years

kthoag likes this.
  22. Grimm_Artisanal_Ales

Beer Trader

Vacay is a little different this year. We used Motueka, Hallertau Blanc, Wakatu, and Kohatu (lotta motueka beers this month)

I'm actually *really excited* because this year Vacay and Psychokinesis are being released one week apart. This is the exact same base beer with different hops, so it's really fun to drink them side by side and fresh as we did last night. Psychokinesis has ripe tropical flavors of mango, papaya, and some chive dankness. Vacay came out fantastic and we taste more green spectrum flavors like kiwi, lime zest, gooseberry... some of those sauv blanc-like qualities.

These kinds of beers are among my personal favorites to drink, i almost took down two bombers solo yesterday, eek!

23. yossle

yossle Initiate (159) Dec 31, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Your hoppy slurs are the best. Can't wait to try these.

24. kuishinbo_tantei

kuishinbo_tantei Aspirant (232) Jul 6, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

kinetic cloud is the beer that got me on the grimm hype train and refreshing this thread every day (and I haven't gotten off since) - vacay sounds similar.

tried Cuvee #4 last night, nice integrated flavor package. wish I had less of a cold because I know I was missing out on some of the lemongrass / chamomile.

25. Grimm_Artisanal_Ales

Beer Trader

they do have kohatu and wakatu in common but really this edition of vacay is driven by hallertau blanc and motueka. if you liked that one you'll like this one i'd say!

26. BoardwalkBock

Beer Trader

Really enjoyed this batch of Psychokinesis as with past batches. However I've said this before and I'll say it again...bring back Telekinesis! Havent had that beer in well over a year.

If I missed a recent batch someone drop a piano on my head.

Megamanmmx likes this.
  27. Grimm_Artisanal_Ales

Beer Trader

There have been two batches of telekinesis and the last release was in July... we'll bring it back for sure this summer.

Megamanmmx likes this.
  28. NewmansOwn

Drank a whole BFF bomber last night. Would recommend.:grinning:

29. BoardwalkBock

Beer Trader

Great to hear! Cant believe I missed the last batch...

30. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (40) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

strong work at 9%!

31. NewmansOwn

I thought it was pretty easy drinking, must be all those OH double IPAs! I put it in a Tesseract glass, which must be at least 18oz. because it almost took the whole bottle. Told the missus I was only having one drink last night :wink:

32. kthoag

Beer Trader

Hey Grimm friends will I get to see Lucky Cloud this summer at all? It, with Rainbow Dome, are my favorite of your sour beers (and you are my favorite sour brewery, so that's saying a lot!)

yossle and kuishinbo_tantei like this.
  33. yossle

yossle Initiate (159) Dec 31, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Rainbow Dome is so, so good.

NewmansOwn likes this.
  34. Grimm_Artisanal_Ales

Beer Trader

Rainbow Dome is planned for late may/early june release. I'd love to make Lucky Cloud again but it's not currently on the docket.

Jkolls, JaredSammy, pdy90727 and 6 others like this.
  35. kthoag

Beer Trader

don't want to 'like' the content of the comment, but I do love your quick responses. Hesitant 'like'.

masterplanman likes this.
  36. Justin1686

Justin1686 Initiate (192) Aug 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

What about Purple Prose? I think that's your best sour to date.

37. nholtzman4590

nholtzman4590 Initiate (110) Aug 3, 2014 New York

I think I speak for the majority of the sour lovers here when I say that if you ever package any of the Rebus series I'd bend over backwards to get my hands on an entire case.

Conversely, I'd love to get a beer in the Pop! series on draft one of these days...

@Grimm_Artisanal_Ales - To that end, why are these two series exclusive to the formats we've seen them in?

Jkolls likes this.
  38. masterplanman

masterplanman Initiate (143) Sep 12, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

^ I slightly recall them saying something about not being able to put Rebus through the bottle machine because the live bacteria or something messing up the tubes (was a long time ago so excuse me if Im completely off)

JaredSammy likes this.
  39. NewmansOwn

I just saw Three's is having a Guest Brewer night tomorrow at their Greenpoint outpost with Grimm. There's no info about the event, what does this mean? @Grimm_Artisanal_Ales Will you guys be there?

40. Justin1686

Justin1686 Initiate (192) Aug 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Three's has an outpost in Greenpoint?? Since when?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.