Help Adding Images to Forum Posts

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by SierraNevallagash, Aug 1, 2019.

1. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,999) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Hi, See below quoted message from further back in this thread. When I posted that I was using an X and the Imgur APP. I now use an 11 and it still works the same for me. I have had not issues with the app on iPhone generations since 5. I think the step that people miss that makes it work for me is when you click the image again and the background turns black and the three sided box with up arrow icon (seen and described below) appears at bottom of screen.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  2. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (626) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

weird. a little counter intuitive but that seems to work. thanks

3. spicoli00

4. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,999) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah, not sure what it changes, but glad it helped!

5. spicoli00

i wasn't getting to the screen with the 3 sided box. guess my fat fingers were pressing on the image too long...it's just a tap, not a press and hold :grin:

jhavs likes this.
  6. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,177) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

If you have an Untappd account:
    1. Go to the website www.untappd.com
    2. Log-in to your account
    3. Click your profile avatar in the upper-right hand corner and click "My Profile"
    4. Right click on the image you want to upload, select "Copy Image Location..."
    5. Go back to BA and click the "Image" link on the BA post you want to reply/comment on
    6. Right-click, select "Paste" to paste your image location. Click "Insert".
    7. ???
    8. Profit

7. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (140) Feb 25, 2013 California

How can I post images from imgur? Best I can do is post a link to it, but not embed the pic. I see others have had the same problem.

SFACRKnight and BBThunderbolt like this.
  8. riptorn

riptorn Devotee (428) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Go to your Imgur account, select the image you want to post, copy the link that says “Direct Link”. (make sure you're copying the one that says Direct Link" or it won't work)
    Then, when composing a post here in the forum, click the Image icon; it’s immediately to the right of the Emoji (smiley face) icon. Paste the link you copied from Imgur into the Image URL box and click Insert.

9. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,281) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I'll try, but, that is waaaay more complidamncated than the old way of just clicking on the share button.

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,600) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

That's why I stopped using Imgur.

11. riptorn

Society Trader

Took two clicks to get the link from my Imgur account, and two more plus pasting the link here in BA.
    Was just trying to lend a hand.
    [​IMG]

@Bitterbill what do you use now?

Peach63, officerbill, eppCOS and 2 others like this.
  12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,281) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

But, Imgur was, probably still is, the easiest: take a pic, copy to clipboard, hit share on whatever post. DONE!

Dun.

scream likes this.
  13. scream

scream Meyvn (1,350) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

imgur works pretty easy for me

Peach63 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  14. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I'm still a fan of
    https://imgbb.com/

15. DCH

DCH Aspirant (217) Jun 12, 2013 New York

open image in new tab from imgur, copy and paste that url into the post

16. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,223) Nov 4, 2015 New York

.....orrrr just copy/paste the BB Code (not Linked BB Code) directly into the comment box. :wink:
    [​IMG]

To use Flickr :
    [​IMG]

Scrapss and eppCOS like this.
  17. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I'm going to post a pic to see how long it takes. Already downloaded pic.

[​IMG]

17 seconds.

18. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,652) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

imgur BB code copy paste as suggested by @mikeinportc - good for laptops
    or just postimages.org from your mobile, easy copy and paste to forum function there too.

officerbill, Jack_14 and mikeinportc like this.
  19. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (8,798) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

THANK YOU!!!

Scrapss likes this.
  20. Scrapss

Scrapss Meyvn (1,023) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

You're welcome, glad it helped.

REVZEB likes this.
  21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,820) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Www.postimage.org
    Take the pic, copy direct link, paste in image posting tab on beer advocate. Takes me like 10 seconds and doesn’t save images to the device taking them. Easy.

22. HazyMeetingOfDa_5Families

HazyMeetingOfDa_5Families Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2020 Florida

Newb, longtime lurker, using desktop and OSX.
    Trouble getting my pic in the Post
    I used postimages.org as suggested and tried all of the suggested links including direct link and forum link etc, is there a desktop issue vs phone app?

23. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,617) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Posting photos is real easy, just go to postimage, upload the picture and then copy and paste the hotlink for forums (3rd from the bottom) directly into the text box here. I'm using desktop, if this doesn't work for you, please describe what exactly is causing problems for you.

24. HazyMeetingOfDa_5Families

25. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,617) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Ah, I see, unfortunately it is not possible to insert pictures into reviews. The instructions above are for inserting pictures into forum posts.

26. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,015) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Welcome to the BA site, Hazy. @Snowcrash000 has you covered with his answer. Pics inserted in the forums have to be stored at a third party site.

However, if you see a beer's BA page (or a Place page) without a pic you can upload one for the empty box. Instead of a third party hosting site, these pics can come directly from your phone or pc, and they must meet the exact requirement of 100 pixels width x 300 pixels height and 20 Kb file size (or 200 width x 150 height and the same max 20 Kb size). On the Place page for the Brewery, Bar, Store, etc. just above the photo box click on Place Tools>Add a Photo once you have the pic to the correct sizes. It uploads but must await approval by a mod before it will show up. (Pics inserted into a forum post will appear right away.)
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/how-to-upload-beer-place-photos.628231/

27. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,050) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

@HazyMeetingOfDa_5Families ... Your pictures can be used in two places on this site:

1. The most common use by members is in a post in the forums (such as here). To do this you need upload your picture to a picture hosting site, like imgur or postimages.org, or some others, and then post a link to it in the body of your post. The specifics of how to post the link will depend on the structure of the link.

2. Upload a picture of a beer can/bottle/etc (not a glass) to the beer's entry in the BA database (Or place entry). This is the only place you can directly upload a picture to this site, and it must meet strict requirements: a JPG file of exactly 150x300 pixels and no more than 20KB in file size. This is what @Snowcrash000 and I have been most recently discussing.

There is no other place a member can post or upload pictures. Perhaps that will change once the site moves to the new platform.

EDIT: @PapaGoose03 beat me to it.

28. HazyMeetingOfDa_5Families

ahhhh I see, I thought I would be able to post the beer photo in the review area as well, Thanks for you help everyone, here is the glorious Hazy Juice Bomb pic I was trying to post

[​IMG]

MNAle and PapaGoose03 like this.
  29. PapaGoose03

Society

Both links above will show the pic that you are probably trying to post here, but both posts also allow others when viewing the imgur pages to scroll to other pics that you have stored there.

When you're logged into imgur, go to your library, click on the pic that you want to post so that it's the only pic on that page. On the right side of that page are 5-6 links that you can copy to your device's clipboard. Click on the Direct Link and you'll get a message that the link was copied. Then come back to BA and start a post and/or place your cursor at the position in a post that is already in the draft stage. Click on the Image icon on the edit bar above your text window (just right of smiley face) and click on the dialog box field and right-click/paste the Direct Link in the dialog box. Click Done/Insert (not sure what the button says) and your pic (not links like in your post above) should appear in your post where the cursor is placed.

You should probably Report your first post and delete it if you have other pics in your imgur account that you don't want to be seen here. (I deleted the links inside the QUOTE brackets above.)

30. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,904) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Once I've copied from IMGUR (following all the steps you've laid out) I can just paste the copied link into my reply. When I post the pic views.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  31. PapaGoose03

Society

Yeah, I've seen that short way mentioned before but I never remember to do it when placing a pic and I keep giving instructions to the 'old way'. :slight_smile:

steveh likes this.
  32. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,904) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I think I've tried using that image icon you mention (in the tools menu), but it always just adds a link to my IMGUR page, sort of what happened with Franziskaner.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  33. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,295) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

The only two that have worked for me are postimage and flickr. I have tried many others, but I always received that annoying [​IMG]

BBThunderbolt and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. PapaGoose03

Society

That's never happened to me so I can't explain it. I always get a pic when I use the dialog box on the BA post creation screen.

The reason I underlined the key words in my first post with the directions (I edited that post after first posting it and maybe you didn't see it) is that I suspect people don't go to their personal library and click on the pic that you want to post, and when you do that it will be the only pic on the page, and the various links (including the Direct Link) will be on the right side of the pic. (I suspect many people at this point copy the web address at the top of the page.)

The library isn't obvious to find, and maybe many people don't find it to correctly get to the Direct Link? I'm going from memory here: you need to click on your member name on the right side of the menu bar on top of the imgur page and "Your Library" (or some term like that) will be in the drop-down menu. Then clicking it will give you all of the pics that you've ever uploaded there, and you then click on the individual pic that you want to post per what I said in the paragraph above.

35. PapaGoose03

Society

Maybe imgur isn't as easy to use as what it seems to me? Maybe imgur works differently when using different devices? But I think the key is to be signed in to imgur so that you can get into your personal library.

BillAfromSoCal likes this.
  36. riptorn

Society Trader

Looks to me like you copied the correct link for the second one, as evidenced by me being able to post your pic from that link. The first one (https://imgur.com/gallery/TtPm0tu) is breaking it.
    [​IMG]

In Imgur, copy the Direct Link (as mentioned by @PapaGoose03).
    Then when creating a post in the forum, select the Image icon:
    [​IMG]

You'll get an "Image URL:" field. Paste the Direct Link there and click Insert:
    [​IMG]

I've never tried the short way described by @steveh

BillAfromSoCal and PapaGoose03 like this.
  37. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,223) Nov 4, 2015 New York

You can post the BB Code (Not "Linked BB Code) directly into the comment box.

[​IMG]

38. riptorn

Society Trader

I like that way better.
    [​IMG]

PapaGoose03 and mikeinportc like this.
  39. PapaGoose03

Society

By Comment Box do you mean the Create Post Box?

mikeinportc likes this.